45-70 guide gun capabililties ( Your Comments_

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Tennessee Hayre
Levergunner 2.0

45-70 guide gun capabililties ( Your Comments_

Post by Tennessee Hayre »

First I would like to say hello to all of the users of this forum. This is my first post. I have just recently joined as of last night. I have checked out the other sites on the web for some time and I don't usually have alot to say. But since I am a Lever action kind of guy, I have always felt out numbered on the other sites. No matter what kind of advise you try and give some new comer to the Leveraction rifle there are always a large amount of unexperienced folks shooting you down. It is like talking to a drunk person. I have owned and have hunted with a lever action rifle for over 31 years, and have in the last 3 years purchased and have hunted with a 45-70 Marlin Guide Gun. I would like to start a new thread on the capabilities of the 45-70 using Garrett hammerhead ammo.
The Ultimate Authority resides in the people and that if the Federal Goverment got too powerful and over stepped it's authority then the people would develope plans of resistance and resort to arms" _____________________________________James Madison_______

Retired Military
Life Member NRA
Defender Second Amendment
Constitution Party Member
Savage99
Levergunner 1.0

Post by Savage99 »

With a .45-70 and garret hammerhead loads, your good for anything that walks this planet...If I was using that gun and load I'd start looking for a real sharp knife..

BTW..Welcome..
Robert....

Chance favors the prepared mind....
Hobie

Post by Hobie »

Welcome!

I think that sums up the consensus here. ScottT thought the GG was one of THE two guns to have...
Sincerely,

Hobie

"We are all travelers in the wilderness of this world, and the best that we find in our travels is an honest friend." Robert Louis Stevenson
Rusty
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Rusty »

Well Welcome to the site. you won't find a finer group of Christian gentlemen anywhere.

I don't think there anything anywhere that could stand up to those Hammerheads. Myself included.

Way more than anything I need, but to each his own. Our deer here in Fla. are like shooting the neighbor's dog.

Happy Trails and God Bless,
Rusty <><
If you're gonna be stupid ya gotta be tough-
Isiah 55:8&9

It's easier to fool people than it is to convince them they have been fooled.
Tennessee Hayre
Levergunner 2.0

Thanks Savage 99, I hunted last year (Deer season) with the Power Shok 300 grain speer Hot-Core SP from Federal got great results. I just recently purchased a box of 540 grain Hammer heads from garrett, I plan to do some test at the range sunday. 4/27/08. I have been clearing some trees on my property, saved a large slice of tree to take to the range. (24"Dim) I would like to see what kind of penetration I get from that ammo.. I plan on posting the results...as soon as possible. I would like to hear from anyone who has used this ammo as well.
The Ultimate Authority resides in the people and that if the Federal Goverment got too powerful and over stepped it's authority then the people would develope plans of resistance and resort to arms" _____________________________________James Madison_______

Retired Military
Life Member NRA
Tennessee Hayre
Levergunner 2.0

Rusty, That is what my brother said, he once live in Jacksonville, and hear in tennessee some of our deer out at land between the lakes looks just like that (Dogs with antlers). But I did bag a 160lb buck 6 points, two years back in stewart country next to LBL. biggest I have seen in a few years. Last year i kicked up about 15 deer, but only shot 2 . Had two others in my sights but would have had to shoot through brush to take them, so i passed.

Retired Military
Life Member NRA
Jaguarundi
Senior Levergunner

Post by Jaguarundi »

Savage99 wrote:With a .45-70 and garret hammerhead loads, your good for anything that walks this planet...If I was using that gun and load I'd start looking for a real sharp knife..

BTW..Welcome..
+1 and has! :D Welcome aboard.
"Those who hammer their guns into plows will plow for those who do not."
KirkD
Desktop Artiste

Post by KirkD »

Keep us posted on the penetration results into that chunk of wood. I'm at the other end of the spectrum with my 45-70's (I own three of them). I use a soft cast wad of lead weighing 405 grains and I send it chugging along at speeds of 1,200 to 1,400 fps. Those little bulldozers just about plow through anything.
Kirk: An old geezer who loves the smell of freshly turned earth, old cedar rail fences, wood smoke, a crackling fireplace on a snowy evening, pristine wilderness lakes, the scent of
cedars and a magnificent Whitetail buck framed in the semi-buckhorn sights of a 120-year old Winchester.
Blog: https://www.kirkdurston.com/
awp101
Advanced Levergunner

Post by awp101 »

No answer to your question, but welcome!

I always like to see someone from Clarksville, Tn post on forums. I spent a little over 4 years there, courtesy of Uncle Sam. :D
Nothing so needs reforming as other people's habits.
-Mark Twain

Proverbs 3:5; Philippians 4:13

Got to have a Jones for this
Jones for that
This running with the Joneses boy
Just ain't where it's at
tman
Advanced Levergunner

Post by tman »

if u can't kill it with that combination, take up golf.
handirifle
Senior Levergunner

Post by handirifle »

I wrote Garrett about the hammerhead loads, specifically, the 420gr ones. I have a moose hunt planned for Sept of '09 and want to take my GG along.

I wanted to find out if it would be good to 200yds for moose, and if it would suffice for back up for the Brownies as well.

Their response was "The 420gr +P Hammerhead load will penetrate a brown bear, end to end, from 200 yards, guaranteed."

So, the Garrett's would surely do the job.

He loads these to 1850fps and here's the rest of the stats.

ENERGY: 3200 FT/LBS; TAYLOR KNOCKOUT VALUE: 51; MEPLAT: .330"; CHAMBER PRESSURE: 35,000-CUP; SECTIONAL DENSITY: .287; TRAJECTORY: +3" @ 100-YDS; ZERO @ 150-YDS; -7" @ 200-YDS

At now, $70 per box of 20, they are getting real pricey for regular hunting but for a once in a lifetime deal, or if you walk in the land of big bears, they are worth it for your life.
awp101
Advanced Levergunner

Post by awp101 »

tman wrote:if u can't kill it with that combination, take up golf.
handirifle wrote:Their response was "The 420gr +P Hammerhead load will penetrate a brown bear, end to end, from 200 yards, guaranteed."
I'd like to see a golf ball do THAT! :lol:
-Mark Twain

Jones for that
Just ain't where it's at
Jarhead
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Jarhead »

I own and use an 1895GS in a 45-70/457WW Mag and just shipped it up to my Son in Law to use in Alaska for Bear...I would not hesitate to use it on Dangerous Game!
Semper Fi
Grizz
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Grizz »

Howdy Tennessee Hayre

I'm interested in your penetration test.

For a comparison here's a test of my 525g cast load running 1475 out of my guide gun, plus my 405g 44 load running just under 900fps out of a 5-1/5" redhawk.

http://levergunlovers.com/viewtopic.php?t=5617

You know I'm interested in your penetration results. Glad to meet someone else who shoots his firewood!

Here's the same load penetrating a dozen jugs of water:

http://beartoothbullets.com/WMV_Files/45-70-525.wmv
rjohns94
Advanced Levergunner

Post by rjohns94 »

Welcome aboard. enjoy the fire. Your GG and garrett ammo have taken just about anything that draws breath. Good luck and keep us posted. You should get penetration exceeding a .458 magnum. Blessings.
Mike Johnson,

"Only those who will risk going too far, can possibly find out how far one can go." T.S. Eliot
Tennessee Hayre
Levergunner 2.0

Great info guy's, and thanks for the warm welcome. I know 540 grainers is probley more than i need for deer, but like all my guns, it's nice to have a box of some of the best ammo for each on hand. I think we as hunters and shooter need to know our weapons capabilities at both ends of the scale. Who knows maybe someday I might get lucky and get to make another trip back to alaska. I have always wanted to hunt deer in alaska, and Like all of you I would bet my life on that little guide Gun. I think alot of folks have a problem getting themselfs around the little gun and that makes them feel unconfortable. I am 5' 9'' with long arms and sometimes have that same problem, but that can be overcome by alot of practice. From what i have gathered from talking with other hunter who love their bolt action rifles, they can't except the fact that slow moving heavy bullets penatrate deeper then heavy faster moving bullets. and that a little gun (1895G) that only cost under $500, can do the job that some of the rifles price at over $1000 can do. I always tell them keep an open mind and don't get stuck on just one rifle. Your thoughts!!

Retired Military
Life Member NRA
Jarhead
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Jarhead »

Tennessee Hayre wrote:Great info guy's, and thanks for the warm welcome. I know 540 grainers is probley more than i need for deer, but like all my guns, it's nice to have a box of some of the best ammo for each on hand. I think we as hunters and shooter need to know our weapons capabilities at both ends of the scale. Who knows maybe someday I might get lucky and get to make another trip back to alaska. I have always wanted to hunt deer in alaska, and Like all of you I would bet my life on that little guide Gun. I think alot of folks have a problem getting themselfs around the little gun and that makes them feel unconfortable. I am 5' 9'' with long arms and sometimes have that same problem, but that can be overcome by alot of practice. From what i have gathered from talking with other hunter who love their bolt action rifles, they can't except the fact that slow moving heavy bullets penatrate deeper then heavy faster moving bullets. and that a little gun (1895G) that only cost under $500, can do the job that some of the rifles price at over $1000 can do. I always tell them keep an open mind and don't get stuck on just one rifle. Your thoughts!!
Welcome to the Fourm! I have hunted Deer with mine in Alaska and it is nice to have in case you run into a Brown Bear with a "tooth ache!" By the way, the 45-70/457WW Mag. does less meat damage than a 30-06, .308, .243, etc. However, mine is a Custom from Wild West Guns in Anchorage, AK. and cost a lot more than $500...I have the Alaska Guide Model, which cost me about $2000.00, but you can easily get by with a stock 1895GS for under $600...
Semper Fi
Tennessee Hayre
Levergunner 2.0

By the way (Grizz) I thought about selling the wood as firewood. :lol:but the reason for cutting them is during the last wind storm we had here in Clarksville, one of them fell over and took out all the telephone lines, cable, and power lines on the entire east side of the housing area. I had every service crew in Clarksville in my back yard. and a crowd of people who were not very happy. I recall it was during prime time.. I think..

Retired Military
Life Member NRA
Tennessee Hayre
Levergunner 2.0

Thanks JARHEAD, for correcting me. I have been drulling over that custom rifle for sometime but don't have the $$$$ to get one. I heard about another guy who used truck bed liner paint/spray to coat his stock what about that....I know i'm thinking cheap, but thats what poor people like me do!!!!

Retired Military
Life Member NRA
Rusty
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Rusty »

About a year or so ago Brian Pearce did a two part story in Rifle magazine about taking a .45-70 and some Garretts to Africa. I don't think he used Hammerheads. IIRC he was using a round they call their Penetrator.

I do remember that he shot all the way through one cape buffalo killing that one and also killed the one behind it. All that with an old .45-70. Who'd have thunk it?
If you're gonna be stupid ya gotta be tough-
Isiah 55:8&9

It's easier to fool people than it is to convince them they have been fooled.
Hobie

Post by Hobie »

If the pros use it it is likely effective.
Sincerely,

Hobie

"We are all travelers in the wilderness of this world, and the best that we find in our travels is an honest friend." Robert Louis Stevenson
Jarhead
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Jarhead »

Tennessee Hayre wrote:Thanks JARHEAD, for correcting me. I have been drulling over that custom rifle for sometime but don't have the $$$$ to get one. I heard about another guy who used truck bed liner paint/spray to coat his stock what about that....I know i'm thinking cheap, but thats what poor people like me do!!!!
Forget about the bedliner! Mine is wood and I hunt in some very wet and nasty weather...no problem. Wood looks nicer too!!....A nice stock 1895GS is a mighty fine rifle...I waited a long time for my Alaska Guide Gun...Dreams do come true...

Best wishes...
Semper Fi
awp101
Advanced Levergunner

Post by awp101 »

Tennessee Hayre wrote:I heard about another guy who used truck bed liner paint/spray to coat his stock what about that....I know i'm thinking cheap, but thats what poor people like me do!!!!
That ain't cheap, it's frugal. Or practical.

That's how I refinished the stock on my first FAL. It was beat thanks to the "third world carry" used by some Argie recruits. The bedliner worked and only went away when I swapped some US made stuff onto it for 922r compliance so I could put a few more furrin parts in it.
-Mark Twain

Jones for that
Just ain't where it's at
Tennessee Hayre
Levergunner 2.0

This is not a gun question, But how does one go about inserting a picture under the users screen name ????

Retired Military
Life Member NRA
Paul Jenkins
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Paul Jenkins »

Tennessee Hayre,
I own a .45-70 Shiloh sharps Montana, an '86 Brownining, and an '85 browning BPCR, and I was very surprised to see a friend outshoot all three at 100 yds. with a Marlin Guide Gun. I don't belive all Guide Guns have that capibility, but he shoots one hole groups at 100 yds. all day long.
otteray
Levergunner 2.0

Post by otteray »

Tennessee Hayre wrote:This is not a gun question, But how does one go about inserting a picture under the users screen name ????
Click on "Profile" at the top of the page you are now looking at.
Go to the bottom of page that you just brought up:
follow the instructions for inserting your avitar.
otteray
handirifle
Senior Levergunner

Post by handirifle »

Wood looks nice, except when the finish all wears off, it does, or when it gets a huge scratch in it, it does.

I've never seen anything tougher than the bedliner over wood. This stuff is hard, and doesn't project sound like wood or synthetic, it's quieter, more durable, but it is NOT as pretty.

I'm gonna do my 338 in this stuff soon.
marlin shooter
Levergunner 2.0

Post by marlin shooter »

Marlin guide gun is a great rifle.Brian Pearce just did a article in the newest rifle magazine talking about it and it's popularity in alaska. It's the real deal. I will probably never get to alaska but I am going to use mine deer hunting this year more then in the past. There's many accessories and sight option's for them also. Marlin made a winner with this 1.
Karl
Tennessee Hayre
Levergunner 2.0

Went to the range today and took my 1895G and some 540 grain hammerheads from garrett. I will post my pic's and full results soon. I will tell you that it was a great day. At 50 yards from the bench i punched through an 1/8 " steel plate punching a 3/4" hole in the metal. It continued into the back stop made of red clay and sand stone. Could not find the bullet. Also fired three round through a 10" slice of Oak tree, all bullets passed through into the dirt back stop. Only found one bullet, it hit a big rock 20" inside the backstop. only the nose of the bullet was smashed abit. I can tell you that the new 325 grain Hornady Leverevolution ammo is good stuff, but it dirties up your rifle real fast.

Retired Military
Life Member NRA
Jeff Quinn
Shootist

Post by Jeff Quinn »

Tennessee Hayre,
I am about 30 miles west of you, between Dover and Cumberland City, next to the Cross Creek National Wildlife Refuge. Welcome to the forum.
I have been playing around with my Guide Gun a bit recently. Details here:

http://www.gunblast.com/Leupold-Custom4570.htm

It is not the perfect do-everything big game rifle, but it is pretty darn close. Those hammerheads, and a lot of other bullets, will give complete penetration on most any mammal on Earth.

For the deepest penetration, I also like the Punch bullet, detailed here by the owner of Leverguns.com, the legendary Frank "Paco" Kelly:

http://www.gunblast.com/BeltMtn_PunchBullet.htm

Jeff Quinn
gunblast.com
piller
Posting leader...

Post by piller »

When I got that Water Buffalo at the game ranch near Hondo, 86er was backing me up with his '86 in .45-70. Having seen what his rifle does with the loads he gets from Grizzly Cartridges, and having fired it once at a target, I trust the .45-70 completely. You might want to call Grizzly Cartridges and ask about 86er's favorite loads. 86er's first name is Joe, and Elizabeth or Angela will probably answer the phone. Tell them you got the information from leverguns.com, and they will get you set up. Grizzly Cartridges are not cheap, but they are WORTH it.
D. Brian Casady
Quid Llatine Dictum Sit, Altum Viditur.
Advanced is being able to do the basics while your leg is on fire---Bill Jeans
Don't ever take a fence down until you know why it was put up---Robert Frost
Tennessee Hayre
Levergunner 2.0

hello Jeff, I do most of my deer hunting before the bridge coming from Clarksville into Dover off HWY 79. It's private land off river road. Its owned by a friend. So I guess your pretty close to my part of the woods. I have checked out those punch bullets and they look awsome. and i believe those Grizzly bullets (Piller, is talking about are used by alot of guide's up in alaska. There is so much great ammo for the 45-70 it is hard sometimes to make the selection. I am really pleased with the guide gun and i have the rail system on mine like the one you have ,got it from XS-Sightsystems. I just have not put the ghost ring sites on yet, or the large lever but i plan on doing that when i get some extra cash. Being in the Army for 20 years, I can tell you that we had that peep site on the M16 as you all well know and shot at 300meter target every time we hit the firing range. Great system. I still like having a low power scope on the gun set far forward, but using high mounted scope rings i can still use my iron sights. Works for me.....

Retired Military
Life Member NRA
Gryphon Black
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Gryphon Black »

sheesh, the way y'all talk about the 45-70, I'm starting to think my life is incomplete without one! And yet, somehow, I've gotten along all this time! :lol:
Still, If I did get one, it'd have to be a marlin. Unless it was a Quigley sharps!
Oh, that's right, his was a 45-110! :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Yeah, man, welcome to the campfire!
Love to hear what you come up with on shootin' that wood. I shoot paper circles and pop bottles mostly, unless I can get to the thrift store and pick up a truck load of home appliances :) :) :) I am just a bit twisted in my own special way.

Make sure and post your pics on the penetration tests, we wanna see the results!

Gryphon
bang.
Grizz
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Grizz »

sheesh, the way y'all talk about the 45-70, I'm starting to think my life is incomplete without one!
got that right
wildmanh
Levergunner 1.0

Post by wildmanh »

I love hearing about the .45-70 and seeing pictures. I figure if it worked back in the 1800's on big game why can't it work today. ;) Found a Marlin 1895 .45-70 at a local shop for $500 the other day. Now I'm thinking of going back to see if it's still there......

Heber
sore shoulder
Advanced Levergunner

Post by sore shoulder »

Gryphon Black wrote: Unless it was a Quigley sharps!
Oh, that's right, his was a 45-110! :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Gryphon
I believe it was a 45-120. :lol:
"He has erected a multitude of New Offices, and sent hither swarms of Officers to harass our people and eat out their substance." Declaration of Independance, July 4, 1776
11B30
86er
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 86er »

"The 420gr +P Hammerhead load will penetrate a brown bear, end to end, from 200 yards, guaranteed."

A bullets gonna do what a bullets gonna do. There is no way to GUARANTEE full penetration. No doubt, the hammerheads are good stuff, but I have shot some bison and water buffalo that did not let the bullet exit.

"When I got that Water Buffalo at the game ranch near Hondo, 86er was backing me up with his '86 in .45-70. Having seen what his rifle does with the loads he gets from Grizzly Cartridges, and having fired it once at a target, I trust the .45-70 completely. You might want to call Grizzly Cartridges and ask about 86er's favorite loads. 86er's first name is Joe, and Elizabeth or Angela will probably answer the phone. Tell them you got the information from leverguns.com, and they will get you set up. Grizzly Cartridges are not cheap, but they are WORTH it."

I happen to rely heavily on the 405 gr KODIAK bullet, that Grizzly Cartridge loads for me. For dangerous game, I follow the Kodiak with PUNCH bullets of the same weight, also loaded by Grizzly Cartridge.
With that combo I have taken Cape Buffalo, Water Buffalo, Watusi, Yak, Bison, Black Bear and Hippo, among other less dangerous critters. The Kodiaks often pass through completely but even when they don't they get the job done with great penetration and expansion. The PUNCH bullet almost always go through, although I have recovered one in a Water Buffalo. It was slightly distorted at the nose.

The 45-70 is awesome and won't let you down if you feed it right. However, don't be tricked into thinking there are magic bullets or that it is a 470 Nitro.
Tennessee Hayre
Levergunner 2.0

Here is the first pic of my test conducted on the range this past sunday. Three (Garrett 540 grain Hammer Heads) punched through the 10" slice of tree. The exit holes were the same size as the entry holes. In the back ground you can see where one round blew through an 1/8"steelplate with a 3/4" hole. Shots fired from a range of 50 yards. [img][img]http://i301.photobucket.com/albums/nn59 ... t001-2.jpg[/img][/img]

Retired Military
Life Member NRA
Tennessee Hayre
Levergunner 2.0

Here is a Pic of the exit hole on the steel plate. bullet plowed into the red clay and sandstone back stop making a hole the size of a golf ball. Bullet was not recovered. [imgImage][/img]

Retired Military
Life Member NRA
Old Ironsights
Posting leader...

Post by Old Ironsights »

Sorry. We's a gonna have to arrest you now for possessin ebil armor piercin boolits.

Signed, UR friend, > BATFE :roll:
C2N14... because life is not energetic enough.
מנא, מנא, תקל, ופרסין Daniel 5:25-28... Got 7.62?
Not Depressed enough yet? Go read National Geographic, July 1976
Gott und Gewehr mit uns!
Tennessee Hayre
Levergunner 2.0

This is the exit holes of the three hammerheads. [img][img]http://i301.photobucket.com/albums/nn59 ... est002.jpg[/img][/img]

Retired Military
Life Member NRA
Tennessee Hayre
Levergunner 2.0

Old Iron Sights,, as you well know armor is not the same animal as sheet metal and if that were the case all hunters who own a heavy mag rifle with solid bullets would all be up the creek :lol:

Retired Military
Life Member NRA
ScottT
Shootist

Post by ScottT »

Going back to the original question. I think that the Marlin Guide Gun was one of the trully great ideas in the gun industry. Maybe the best we have seen in 30yrs.

Anything from 1 to 200yds is fair game and these guns shoot better than they should.

Garrett ammo is outstanding stuff. I cannot load ammo that works or performs better in my Marlin and I have tried!
Old Ironsights
Posting leader...

Post by Old Ironsights »

Tennessee Hayre wrote:Old Iron Sights,, as you well know armor is not the same animal as sheet metal and if that were the case all hunters who own a heavy mag rifle with solid bullets would all be up the creek :lol:
Shhhh. :wink:
Gott und Gewehr mit uns!
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

Tennessee Hayre wrote:Here is the first pic of my test conducted on the range this past sunday. Three (Garrett 540 grain Hammer Heads) punched through the 10" slice of tree. The exit holes were the same size as the entry holes. In the back ground you can see where one round blew through an 1/8"steelplate with a 3/4" hole. Shots fired from a range of 50 yards. [img][img]http://i301.photobucket.com/albums/nn59 ... t001-2.jpg[/img][/img]
Cool, but I wouldn't have leaned that plate up there on your vehicle like that - no tellin' where those other two shots went. Probably the differential or transmission, most likely, since them bullets always seem to go for the 'vitals.' :wink: :roll:
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
Tennessee Hayre
Levergunner 2.0

AJMD429, you have a point !!But it is a Chevy solid like a rock! :D

Retired Military
Life Member NRA
Tennessee Hayre
Levergunner 2.0

I have a question, :roll: While at the range with my 1895G, I loaded three rounds in the mag tube, (540 grain Hammerheads) chambered the first round everything worked fine and fired, then lowered the lever to cycle a new round and it would jam. I had to take a screw driver and assist the round out of the mag tube then pulled the lever up and all was fine. This happened several times does this sound like a week spring in the magazine. I never had this problem before when i used Federal 300 grainers.

Retired Military
Life Member NRA
Old Ironsights
Posting leader...

Post by Old Ironsights »

Check your COAL after firing #1 and/or #2... I'll bet you are seeing a little crimp-jump in subsequent loads...

Not somthing you want to happen when it binds up your gun.... I learned that lesson with me FA Casull...
Gott und Gewehr mit uns!
Grizz
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Grizz »

Tennessee,

I would be shocked, shocked I tell you if the hammerheads jumped crimp.

Some Marlins will feed as slow as you can go, some won't.

I suspect that you might not be operating the lever "with authority". With those heavy bullets the lever needs to be opened "smartly", without being so smart that it gets bent at the bottom of the throw. Being some heavier, the hammerheads won't back out of the mag tube as fast as the shorter lighter loads. You need to give a heartbeat hesitation at the extension of the throw to allow the round to feed completely onto the lifter.

Try it and see if it corrects the problem. Otherwise it could be a timing issue or a burr or a slightly out of spec cart stop, or even a hangnail at the mouth of the magazine. I've seen a receiver screw project up into that area.

Hope that helps,

Grizz
Last edited by Grizz on Wed Apr 30, 2008 10:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
sore shoulder
Advanced Levergunner

Post by sore shoulder »

A Marlin will cycle a pretty long round, in fact it will cycle and chamber a lot longer round than it will eject unfired. If he's using
Garrets, I would be shocked if they jumped crimp. I'm curious if they did or not. Hell, they're only 35,000psi or something anyway. I've got a number of various loads way over that that dont jump crimp ever. So, I think he has some other problem.
"He has erected a multitude of New Offices, and sent hither swarms of Officers to harass our people and eat out their substance." Declaration of Independance, July 4, 1776
11B30