New '95 carbine and ditching the rebounding hammer?

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
RDB
Levergunner 1.0

New '95 carbine and ditching the rebounding hammer?

Post by RDB »

Hey Pards,

Pulled out the rebounding hammer stuff and tang safety on my '95 carbine. Then I filled in the hole in the tang.
Muoy better :mrgreen:

Was hoping a '86 hammer might work in the '95 but that aint happening. Anyone got a source for a drop in hammer with out the side cut required for the tang safety? Browning '95 hammer should work.
HawkCreek
Levergunner 2.0

Re: New '95 carbine and ditching the rebounding hammer?

Post by HawkCreek »

There's a place up in Canada that has a lot of Browning/Winchester parts. I'm at work now but ion look up the link when I get home.

Did you just clip the mainspring? And what's you fill the safety hole with?
RDB
Levergunner 1.0

Post by RDB »

Thanks Hawk. Had nt called them because they are in Canada. If that is the only known option guess I better get to it :)
HawkCreek
Levergunner 2.0

Post by HawkCreek »

Well I'm not posting the link in public if you already found them (still have some parts I need to order myself). Check on gunbroker if you have an account, they list a lot of their parts there. Only other place that MIGHT have what your looking for that I know of is Numrich.
missionary5155
Levergunner 3.0

Post by missionary5155 »

Greetings
Removing the "rebound" garbage is easy. Remove the rear stock. You will notice a extra lever leg that runs under the hammer. Think of it as the left leg. That is the one you want to remove. The right leg directly acts on the hammer as should be. With the hammer at rest pull the trigger and push the hammer all the way forward to contact the firing spring. Doing this you will see the action that "left leg" puts on the hammer bottom. A good 10% of hammer energy is lost right there. Some are worse than others.

We have removed that offending piece of steel with a jewelers file and using a Dremel with a small diameter cut of wheel. I prefer the jewelers Knife edge file. Takes longer but you do not have all the dust in the action. Cut of about 1/2 that left leg. Takes 5 minutes with the file. Cut it about 2/3 to 3/4 through and snap it off with kneedle nose pliers.
No more rebounding hammer. Eventually the rebounding hammer will cause a light strike. One of our 86's failed the third range trip. The other about the 7th trip. Our 85 failed the second time afield. So whenever we get one... remove the rear stock and meet jewlers file. Never had another issue.
Mike in Peru
A sinner saved by FAITH in the Blood of Jesus Christ &teaching God´s Word in Peru. John 3:36
Tanker 71-74 NRA Life Ready to Defend the Constitution from enemies within and without.
kaschi
Levergunner 3.0

Post by kaschi »

What are you guys filling the hole with where the sliding safety lever was? I've heard of these being filled by welding but then the receiver has to be completely reblued. Not so cheap from what I understand.