Henry steel 357 Levers?

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Poohgyrr
Levergunner 3.0

Henry steel 357 Levers?

Post by Poohgyrr »

I'm looking at a 16"er at a local shop. The wood, fit & finish, and so on look good. Has anyone here shot any of the Henry 357s? I've found threads & videos on the 44s & 45s, but not much on the 357s.
John
Family, blue steel & wood, hot biscuits, and fresh coffee.
Luke 22:36 Romans 12:17-21 Ephesians 4:26-32
"Life brings sorrow and joy alike. It is what a man does with them - not what they do to him - that is the true test of his mettle." T. Roosevelt
GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Re: Henry steel 357 Levers?

Post by GunnyMack »

Last summer I bought a 41 mag Big Boy. I am very pleased with it! As you say, good fit and finish. If I have a complaint it's the barrel polish is not that great. But being dull it won't 'scare game'. Otherwise it's a great rifle.
I had a bit of an issue with fouling at first, DONT SHOOT PLATED bullets! Took a lot of elbow grease and patches to get it clean. My fault!

I scoped it for accuracy, 1-1/2 to 2" groups at 50 yards using LilGun and noslers or sierras.

I would like to see a 25-20 model added !
BROWN LABS MATTER !!
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

I have a Big Boy bright, and shiny .357. Very nice. Most say you can't really make them a CAS race gun, but I'm not into that. I don't hunt that much, but a 180gr load would be dandy for the little blacktail around here.
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
ollogger
Advanced Levergunner

Post by ollogger »

Mine is the GB, for me its like a 100 rounds out of a 22 in no time the ammo is gone
shoot mostly cast out of mine, do I like it? Yes!

Brad
1894c

Post by 1894c »

I owned a Henry steel 357 with the 16" barrel last year...it shot good, but in the end I really missed a loading gate so I traded it for a Marlin 1894c in .357 (JM)...the Henry is a nice well built levergun--worth the money--I'm just a Marlin fanboy... :)
shortwheels
Levergunner

Post by shortwheels »

I have looked at one, I had a 45-70 the first year they came out, I just could not get past the loading tube, just me !!!
wvfarrier
Senior Levergunner

Post by wvfarrier »

I own a full steel 45-70, brass 357 and full steel 44 mag. All of them have been excellent. Zero complaints
A bondservant of our Lord, Christ Jesus
retmech
Levergunner 2.0

Post by retmech »

I owned one for a while last year, won it in a gun raffle at our club. First, the gun is about a pound heavy for a .357 lever, it was a half pound heavier than my 24" octagon Rossi. The loading like a .22 didn't bother me but to some it's a negative. Ejection on mine was very weak, I'm sure Henry would fix it but I did not keep it long enough. The metal finish on mine was a sandblasted parkerized looking blue, I thought it could have been better finished. I put about 500 rds through it over a couple weeks and sold it to a friend. I have in the past owned (in .357) 2 Rossi's, a carbine and 24" octagon. A Winchester 94AE, a Browning B92 and had the use of a friends Marlin 94 for about a year. I have kept the two Rossi's, they are accurate, smooth and reliable. If you like the Henry and the weight doesn't bother you go for it. Henry has an excellent reputation for standing behind their products. I own a 16" Henry .22 carbine and love that little sucker. My 2 cents FWIW