By volume

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

By volume

Post by GunnyMack »

I finally broke down and bought a 1/2 oz charge barfor loading 410's. Just for grits & shins I checked to see how much it threw with 3 different shot sizes.
#6- 198+/- gr
#7&1/2- 205 +/- gr
#8- 210 +/- gr

Just for the heck of it I counted the charge of #6's for a GRAND TOTAL of 99 pieces of shot.
BROWN LABS MATTER !!
Ysabel Kid

Re: By volume

Post by Ysabel Kid »

Good information to have! Thanks! :D
GoatGuy
Senior Levergunner

Post by GoatGuy »

GunnyMack- thanks for that info re: .410 loads.
I have a question regarding .410 reloading presses. I very recently bought a cherry 311C, .410 Stevens SxS, with very strong blue and perfect case hardened receiver. Bought it for hunting the squirrels, an abundance of which I have here on the farm (loves me some squirrel gumbo, also fried with biscuits and gravy). Other uses will be for vermin and the occasional "pasture skeet good times" with friends and neigbbors. I since have discovered that a few boxes of .410 shells to be pretty pricey!

I have way plenty experience reloading shotgun ammo due to my earlier trap and sporting clays addictions :P, so... expected to find presses, etc. for my newfound .410 interest. "Wait-a-minute Goatguy, no cheap way out for you, old shotgunner". Do you have any suggestions/recommendations/options for reasonably priced .410 shotgun shell reloading presses for this old retired guy? I'm embarrassingly flush with components, but that's little help without a press.

"If a man does away with his traditional way of living and throws away his good customs, he had better first make certain that he has something of value to replace them." - Basuto proverb.
GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Post by GunnyMack »

Well GoatGuy, years ago I started reloading 12's on a MEC 700, upgraded to a Grabber. I bought a conversion kit for 410. They are still available, Ballistic Products has them, as well of lots of components, data too!

I used to shoot my old High Standard Flite King skeet gun a lot but it fell out of favor when I got my Red Labe 28. Just recently I picked up a CZ Bobwhite 410 for hunting pheasants and sporting clays. I dusted off the press and started loading again.

Stay away from trying to load ESTATE hulls, they don't crimp for beans. I find the Winchester and Remington hulls best.

Yes loaded ammo is not cheap, bad news is the hulls do not last for more then 1 or 2 reloads... The crimps split.

I'll say one thing about shooting birds with a 410- ITS FUN !
BROWN LABS MATTER !!
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

GunnyMack wrote:Well GoatGuy, years ago I started reloading 12's on a MEC 700, upgraded to a Grabber. I bought a conversion kit for 410. They are still available, Ballistic Products has them, as well of lots of components, data too!

I used to shoot my old High Standard Flite King skeet gun a lot but it fell out of favor when I got my Red Labe 28. Just recently I picked up a CZ Bobwhite 410 for hunting pheasants and sporting clays. I dusted off the press and started loading again.

Stay away from trying to load ESTATE hulls, they don't crimp for beans. I find the Winchester and Remington hulls best.

Yes loaded ammo is not cheap, bad news is the hulls do not last for more then 1 or 2 reloads... The crimps split.

I'll say one thing about shooting birds with a 410- ITS FUN !
When I was young, dumb, and broke I shot a lot of skeet with the same 50 16 gauge shells using a Classic 16ga Lee loader.. Predictably, the crimp end wore out pretty quick. I'd cut out the crimp, and use an overwad, and a little scotch tape. What the heck, it worked in my SxS....Maybe not pumps, and autos....
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Post by GunnyMack »

Ah yes Blaine I too used tape, clay whatever was on hand!
My buddies and I all shot either AA's or Peters Blue Magics back in the 80's. One day I loaded up some confetti loads and dropped 1 in everybody's she'll bucket.
I would empty the three hole punches at school, saving the holes.
Those confetti loads were a laugh riot. Guy would call for a target, pull the trigger and nothing would happen! If the wind was right you would get snowed on! They were a hoot when shooting under the lights at night too.

Sadly, the ammo makers don't make hulls that last anymore...
BROWN LABS MATTER !!
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

GunnyMack wrote:Ah yes Blaine I too used tape, clay whatever was on hand!
My buddies and I all shot either AA's or Peters Blue Magics back in the 80's. One day I loaded up some confetti loads and dropped 1 in everybody's she'll bucket.
I would empty the three hole punches at school, saving the holes.
Those confetti loads were a laugh riot. Guy would call for a target, pull the trigger and nothing would happen! If the wind was right you would get snowed on! They were a hoot when shooting under the lights at night too.

Sadly, the ammo makers don't make hulls that last anymore...
:lol: You made my day....Laughing my butt off.....I never thought of confetti rounds... :idea:
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Post by GunnyMack »

You are welcome Blaine!
BROWN LABS MATTER !!
3leggedturtle
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 3leggedturtle »

I used a hot glue gun to seal overshot wad in place. Still surprises me how few #6 shot are in a 1/2 ounce!
30/30 Winchester: Not accurate enough fer varmints, barely adequate for small deer; BUT In a 10" to 14" barrelled pistol; is good for moose/elk to 200 yards; ground squirrels to 300 metres

250 Savage... its what the 223 wishes it could be...!
GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Post by GunnyMack »

I'm thinking about going to #7 bismuth for my bird loads. But it's expensive so I might just go to 7&1/2 lead.

The 1/2 charge bar throws by volume, I think it is figured on #8s. I have had closest charges to half ounce(218.8 gr) with 8s.
BROWN LABS MATTER !!
3leggedturtle
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 3leggedturtle »

Ballistic Products has a chart for how much each shot size is in an ounce. Have you ever read Francis Sell's article about going with really small shot for waterfowl and every thing else? He has lot of interesting data.
30/30 Winchester: Not accurate enough fer varmints, barely adequate for small deer; BUT In a 10" to 14" barrelled pistol; is good for moose/elk to 200 yards; ground squirrels to 300 metres

250 Savage... its what the 223 wishes it could be...!
GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Post by GunnyMack »

3 leg I haven't heard about that article. I used #5s for ducks before non toxic stuff was made mandatory outta my 410. I have played with #12s, that stuff was awesome up close. I would shoot 8s or 9s for trap doubles and skeet. Everything else is 7 1/2s . I'll probably just load 7 1/2s and call it good.
BROWN LABS MATTER !!
J35
Levergunner 3.0

Post by J35 »

I reamed my 1/2 oz Mec bar so it drops 230 gr. #9 shot back in 2006.

If I load 2 1/2" plastic it will be #9 shot or 00 buck .

Three inch plastic I load only 3/4 oz #6 plated shot.

Magtec brass 2 1/2 " I load #9 shot to .390 Round ball's.

My favorite .410 hull.

-----J
Keep The Peace, Love and Harmony, These are the Gold Nuggets, All Else Is Sand !!
GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Post by GunnyMack »

I started to make a bushing to convert a 1 ounce bar to throw a 1/2 oz. I went just a bit too large and then decided to just order a bar. I might pick up another and machine it out to throw 1/2 of 6's.
I love to tinker with this kind of stuff!
BROWN LABS MATTER !!
Nath
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Nath »

Nail varnish works well to hold a top card in if you don't have a roll crimp.
#8-#7narfs are my favourite shot size in .410.
N.
Psalm ch8.

Because I wish I could!