New wood's walking handgun...

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
1894c

New wood's walking handgun...

Post by 1894c »

I have had a long sorry history with .44 Magnum revolver.s I've had S&W 629, Ruger Super Blackhawk, and Ruger Redhawks...in the end I really suck shooting them accurately over 25 yards (factory ammo or my reloads)--all I can say is that I gave it a good try.

So I took my Ruger Redhawk 4" bbl .44 mag and traded it for a loss. I purchased a Blue-Label Glock 20 Gen4 in 10mm, I received a good discount on the Glock, 2 boxes of ammo, and some cash back, which I used to order three additional mags. Took it out for a quick spin--why didn't I consider this round before, especially since I'm a Glock fan-boy and end-user.

The recoil wasn't bad, minute-of clay-pigeon at 25-50 yards (will shoot paper next week-end if the weather permits), 15 round capacity, and the ability to shoot some serious loads. I think the 10mm sits between the .357 mag and the .41 mag depending on load. I'm a happy camper. Unfortunately the Glock is not exactly a levergun type of sidearm, especially with two extra mags attached to my belt... :)
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
missionary5155
Levergunner 3.0

Re: New wood's walking handgun...

Post by missionary5155 »

Good morning
The 10mm is a fine powerful thumper to tote around the bushes. Not to many "critters" will take more than one good solid "thwap" to be properly convinced they should have considered walking the other way.
A sinner saved by FAITH in the Blood of Jesus Christ &teaching God´s Word in Peru. John 3:36
Tanker 71-74 NRA Life Ready to Defend the Constitution from enemies within and without.
piller
Posting leader...

Post by piller »

Never shot a 10mm. Looking at weight and velocity, it appears to be pretty close to a duplicate of the .41 Magnum. That power level should work well for most game or predators that would be found in the lower 48 states. Hope it works as well for you for whatever you use it on.
D. Brian Casady
Quid Llatine Dictum Sit, Altum Viditur.
Advanced is being able to do the basics while your leg is on fire---Bill Jeans
Don't ever take a fence down until you know why it was put up---Robert Frost
buckeyeshooter
Senior Levergunner

Post by buckeyeshooter »

Never would have given up a revolver (especially a .44) for a Glock in any chambering. That said, I hope you enjoy it.
walks with gun
Levergunner 3.0

Post by walks with gun »

As much as I love revolvers, The Glock 10mm is very nice and easy to carry, they shoot very well, easier to make follow upshots if needed and don't require a expensive ammo belt or a pocket full of loose rounds. BUT, from what I understand( I could be wrong, but never have been so in the past) is that most currant 10mm ammo is loaded down to be more like real warm 40S&W ammo. There are some offerings of real full fledge 10mm ammo or else a person could, probably should reload for it although chances are you would never need full power ammo unless hunting with it. Nice choice by the way.
2ndovc
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 2ndovc »

Cool! I've been looking at those lately too. I have a pile of 10mm ammo just hanging out. Can't decide between the Glock and a new Delta. Always been a big fan of the 10mm and think it would make a great trail gun.

Have fun!

jb 8)
jasonB " Another Dirty Yankee"

" Tomorrow the sun will rise. Who knows what the tide could bring?"
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Post by J Miller »

S&W revolvers require better designed grips than what usually come on them to shoot accurately. I cannot shoot any magnum S&W accurately with factory grips, and the 44 Mags are very painful. To shoot those I have to use the Pachmyre rubber finger grove grips. I have them on both my N frames.

Agreed, I would not have traded a good S&W for a Glock, but I do acknowledge that Glocks work.

I once read that the 10 mm was an updated 38 WCF ( 38-40) with similar bullet weights and performance.
Being the crotchety old anachronism I am, I'd just buy a SA in 38-40 and :mrgreen: as I wondered the woods.

Joe
***Be sneaky, get closer, bust the cap on him when you can put the ball where it counts ;) .***
walks with gun
Levergunner 3.0

Post by walks with gun »

I much prefer the looks and handling of the Delta over the Glock, But I keep thinking The Glock would probably hold up round per round than the Delta. Nobody would probably ever shoot one enough to wear either out, but I still wonder.
tman
Advanced Levergunner

Post by tman »

Excellent choice! My woods gun is a Glock 27 .40 S&W. Close enough in power to a .45 ACP when loaded with 180 and 200GRN. hardcast. Lots lighter and more bullets. 8) If I was hunting a Big bear, the .44M wins hands down. Protection from a bear, the .40 is probably just as good. :roll:
mohavesam
Levergunner 2.0

Post by mohavesam »

Good choice if you can carry it comfortably and out-of-the-way.
Compared to say, a nice S&W N-frame or even a stainless Ruger revolver, at least a glock can get rained on, mud-slicked, or packed with snow or sand and I'd not lose much sleep over it. Swish it in ATF and blow it dry, then a couple drops of oil... it should keep working fine. It is afterall, designed for military use.
-Not sure where you're roaming that requires 45 rounds of 10mm ammunition... :shock:

The 10mm is perfect for defense in the dark swamps and can be used for close-range whitetail (I know as I used one in a tree stand and scored, never felt undergunned). It is loud however, so plinking or small game uses are out without proper protection.

Of course, up-graded sights and a field-worthy retention holster are my first suggestions. 8)
I'm positive God created the universe... I'm just not convinced He had any choice in the matter.
-A. Einstein
Bill in Oregon
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Bill in Oregon »

Loaded with hard-cast heavies from Underwood or Double Tap, that's a very capable package. The Gen 4s fit my hand much better than the earlier iterations.
RIHMFIRE
Advanced Levergunner

Post by RIHMFIRE »

Walking in the hood gun too, :lol:
LETS GO SHOOT'N BOYS
Grizz
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Grizz »

Makes sense to me. A woman in Alaska was hunted down by a largish pack of wolves and killed because they didn't like her tweets. No, wait.

There were something like around twenty animals feasting on the former school teacher.

I don't think you can have too many bullets. Just wish the glock had a grip safety like the 1911 has, for the same reason.
1894c

Post by 1894c »

Thanks for the replies and input, deeply appreciated it...my hand grips the Glock 20 Gen4 better than any N-Frame, Super Blawkhawk, or Ruger Redhawk I have ever owned and shot. Glocks have always worked for me and I am very familiar with all 33-parts so fixing one or replacing a part is very easy and cheap.

I intend on deer hunting with the 10mm. Going to work on some reloads, find some good practice stuff, replace the sights (thinking about an adjustable rear sight and a fiber-optic front--or simply go with night-sights).

I have carried a Glock 27/26 as a wood's gun, I have always found them to be a good choice. I also like a revolver in .22 cal.

I fully understand that a Glock is NOT as cool or as nice looking as a S&W N-Frame or a Ruger SA or DA, hard to beat those classic designs, but it's also tough to beat the rugged design and the 15-round capacity of a Glock. I can just see it, I'll be walking in the wood's with a classic old Marlin and my Glock and some other hunter will say, "Nice levergun, too bad your sidearm is ugly"...I can live with that.

DELTA ELITE: that's one nice looking 1911 design by Colt, I mean that pistol gave me pause when I looked at one. But with the price of those I could have gotten two Glock 20's with a couple of additional mags... :)
1894c

Post by 1894c »

mohavesam wrote: Not sure where you're roaming that requires 45 rounds of 10mm ammunition... :shock:

I deer hunt up near the Canadian Border, one has to be prepared for the unexpected onslaught of a northern invasion, that's why I would carry two additional mags... :)--

I do have to apologize, up-front, to the kind and gentle Canadians' that are esteemed members of this levergun forum...I have only heard rumor of a potential invasion, but not the true identity or origin of this alleged northern horde, speculation and conjecture makes me think it could be mis-placed New Jersey passengers from an Alaskan bound Cruise Ship... :)
JerryB
Advanced Levergunner

Post by JerryB »

I have seen a few 10mm autos being carried on some of the Alaskan outdoor shows, supposedly for bear. most looked like 1911 models.
JerryB II Corinthians 3:17, Now the Lord is that Spirit: and where the Spirit of the Lord is, there is liberty.

JOSHUA 24:15
EdinCT
Levergunner 3.0

Post by EdinCT »

1894C, you sure its not the Holly weird bunch trying to cross into Canada that you need protection from.
2ndovc
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 2ndovc »

Totally agree with you on the Glock Vs. Colt debate. What I love about my Glocks is that If I dropped, kicked or damaged one I'd clean/ repair it and all is good. Dropping a $1000 Delta on a rocky trail would most assuredly make me cry! I'm liking that G40 Long slide 10mm. With a nice set of sights that could be the winner.

Maybe one of each will end the debate in my little mind anyway. :D

jb 8)
jasonB " Another Dirty Yankee"

" Tomorrow the sun will rise. Who knows what the tide could bring?"
HawkCreek
Levergunner 2.0

Post by HawkCreek »

I wanted a longslide 10mm for years and finally decided to build my own. Less than 3 months after I bought my Glock 20 (gen 3) they announced the 40 longslide model. :x oh well

The 10mm is indeed a hotter (or rather can be loaded) than the .357 Mag at least according to todays manuals. I've heard that early on the .357 was loaded a lot hotter than is considered safe now days. It's the .40 S&W that is the ballistic twin to the older .38-40 not the 10mm, unfortunately you're pretty much stuck with hand loads to get the full potential of the 10mm. I know there are companies that load hot for it but I've only ever seen them on the shelves once (havent bothered buying ammo online in years).
Sixgun
Posting leader...
Location: S.E. Pa. Where The Finest Winchesters & Colts Reside

Post by Sixgun »

My son and my best buddy, "the gunny" each have those 10mm Glocks and I've shot them both.....powerful...but not overly powerful....in the same league as a loaded down 41 mag.

I have a Ruger single action 38-40 with the extra 10mm cylinder to which I have a bit over 600 rounds out of and it loves the 180 or 200 gr. cast with a dose of Herco.

Not sure if you can shoot cast out of a Glock...never owned one. I've only read your not supposed to but if you use common sense, I'm sure you can. My son does with no feeding, accuracy, or leading issues.-----6
1st. Gen. Colt SAA’s, 1878 D.A.45 and a 38-55 Marlin TD

tman
Advanced Levergunner

Post by tman »

Sixgun wrote:My son and my best buddy, "the gunny" each have those 10mm Glocks and I've shot them both.....powerful...but not overly powerful....in the same league as a loaded down 41 mag.

I have a Ruger single action 38-40 with the extra 10mm cylinder to which I have a bit over 600 rounds out of and it loves the 180 or 200 gr. cast with a dose of Herco.

Not sure if you can shoot cast out of a Glock...never owned one. I've only read your not supposed to but if you use common sense, I'm sure you can. My son does with no feeding, accuracy, or leading issues.-----6
Pretty sure the Glocks are rated for hardcast, but not regular lead :?:
Catshooter
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Catshooter »

Glock says no to lead bullets. Of course they also say (along with every other manufacturer) no to handloads.

You have to pay attention when you're developing your load. They can lead very quickly and if ignored can lead to high pressures.

I shoot cast in all of my Glock factory barrels. Fit, as always is King, with hardness being Queen.

That long slide 10mm is sure tempting.

Cat
Grizz
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Grizz »

is there an aftermarket barrel with real rifling for the 10mm ?
walks with gun
Levergunner 3.0

Post by walks with gun »

Grizz, go to Brownells and or Midway, they advertise several different barrel options for Glocks, I wouldn't be surprised if you could find new ones on Ebay.
1894c

Post by 1894c »

Yes there are a couple of choices, I'm thinking about getting a different barrel for hardcast... :)
Rusty
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Rusty »

I just bought an Alpha Wolf Conversion barrel to change a Glock 23 to a 9mm. I haven't had chance to use it yet. That said I use the 9mm for defense. If something needs to be really thumped I have a Ruger Redhawk. For me even Winchester Whitebox .44 Mag is stiff. Call me a whimp, but a cast 270 grain lead WFN at 1100 does everything I need to do. It's accurate and a pleasure to shoot from my 4" Redhawk.
If you're gonna be stupid ya gotta be tough-
Isiah 55:8&9

It's easier to fool people than it is to convince them they have been fooled.
Bill in Oregon
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Bill in Oregon »

1894: If you stick hard cast and make sure the bullets are sized .001 over Glock OEM barrel diameter you should be golden. Glock barrels tend to run larger than folks realize. Learned this over at 10mm-firearms.com.
Catshooter
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Catshooter »

Barrels vary. If you want to know what the diameter of any barrel is, you have to measure it. Three fifty sevens are supposed to be .357, right? I've had them run from just barely .355 to almost .360, all either S&W or Ruger.

If you're not technically inclined, or just not inclined to do the learning about how to cast, it's just easier & simpler to buy an after market barrel. Or you can try the Glock barrel first, see if it leads, then go from there.

Good luck either way.

Cat
Paladin
Senior Levergunner

Post by Paladin »

My Glock 30SF with a Bar-sto 10mm conversion barrel that I carry while working my friends farm in Alaska I switch back and forth to .45 in the warmer time depending on ammo supply. Lots of bears and wolves in the area. VERY Accurate, this target was 25 meters when I first got it fitted. When I got the mag grip adapters it made the 15 rd mags fit great. Not afraid to beat it up like I was doing the S&W 329 .44 MAG. .
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
It is not the critic who counts
1894c

Post by 1894c »

Paladin wrote:Glock 30SF with a Bar-sto 10mm conversion barrel .
Paladin -- that is a great idea...never even thought of that before...I have LE friends that carry the 30SF off-duty, and I have shot the 30SF in the past, really nice auto... :)