OT - Which .22 in A Hand Gun

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Bigahh
Levergunner 3.0

OT - Which .22 in A Hand Gun

Post by Bigahh »

Been thinking about getting a .22 in a Hand Gun, but I have no ideas what kind. Looking at a Ruger Mk3, but also like the idea of a wheel gun with an extra 22 mag cylinder. Any ideas, don't want to break the bank too much, but something decent also. I want it for plinking, and to take with me in the summer on weekends at the cabin just to have for pests of any kind. I have skunk problems on occasion there, and usually forget a shotgun in summer. A handgun would be Handy you might say.
deerwhacker444
Senior Levergunner

Post by deerwhacker444 »

I've had a Ruger MK II since I was 17 (17 years ago) and have shot atleast a couple Bazillion rounds thru it. Still has a little rifling left. Will still shoot minute of Coke can @ 50 yards off a bench. 6 7/8" target variety. Should be able to pick a good used one now for under $200 now that they're making a MK III.

I've sent lots of stuff to the Happy Green forest in the sky with it.

My $ .02 worth!

:D
"If ever a time should come, when vain and aspiring men
shall possess the highest seats in Government,
our country will stand in need of its experienced patriots
to prevent its ruin
." Samuel Adams
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Post by J Miller »

Bigahh,

I have three .22 handguns. A Ruger Standard .22 Auto, an Old Model Super Single-Six convertible, and an H&R Sportsman.

Of those three the Super Single-Six is my gun when I just want to go plinking or carrying a light weight pistol when hiking or exploring. It's all but indestructible, accurate for plinking and small animal killing and easy to use and maintain.

My .22 Auto is great for range use, or plinking where you don't care if it gets so dirty it chokes. But for serious use I leave it in the box.

My H&R is great for the same things the Super Single-Six is, except it is LR only, and somewhat more fragile.

Of the three choices you mentioned, and I have, I'd recommend a Ruger Single Six convertible.

Joe
***Be sneaky, get closer, bust the cap on him when you can put the ball where it counts ;) .***
wm
Senior Levergunner

Post by wm »

How about a stainless steel Ruger Bearcat with an added J frame adjustable sight and one cylinder marked and reamed for 22 mag?

Anyway that is on my short list of project firearms!

Wm
DerekR
Levergunner 2.0

Post by DerekR »

I got a Ruger Std Auto in 1976 and it has always shot well. I got my 17 year old son a Ruger 22/45 Hunter for Christmas this year. I actually think it is a better pistol than my Standard. Hard to beat a Ruger Auto .22....unless its a Ruger Single-Six!
Derek aka "shootnfan"
Middle Tennessee

24 hours in a day.....24 beers in a case. Coincidense? I think not.
Bigahh
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Bigahh »

Joe,

What length barrel would you recommend for the single six?
Hobie

Post by Hobie »

I have the 5½ inch Single-Six. I think that now you have to choose between the 4-5/8 and 6-1/2". Used guns would be another matter. Can't really go wrong with a used Single-Six though as it is easy to get them fixed if bad and used ones are not very expensive (compared to new guns).
Sincerely,

Hobie

"We are all travelers in the wilderness of this world, and the best that we find in our travels is an honest friend." Robert Louis Stevenson
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Post by J Miller »

Bigahh wrote:Joe,

What length barrel would you recommend for the single six?
Bigahh,

Mine has a 6.5" barrel. I like it for shooting, but I've been real tempted to have it shortened to 4-5/8" for easier carrying.
It's balance was pretty good from the start,but I replaced the aluminum ejector rod housing with a steel one. That helped too.

OK, to answer your question, I would suggest a 4-5/8" barrel if you can find one. They are fairly uncommon. The front sights are screwed on, so if you can't find a short barrel it's easy to have one bobbed.

Joe
***Be sneaky, get closer, bust the cap on him when you can put the ball where it counts ;) .***
Savage99
Levergunner 1.0

Post by Savage99 »

All I have is a Browning buckmark and a 8 shot taurus 941 4in barreled stainless .22 magnum...I've shot several ruger autos and single sixes..I perfer the way the buckmark feels in the hand and the fact that I can strip it down to a bare frame in 10 minutes no smith needed for barrel swaps or anything for that matter..My taurus is a very accurate and just a nice looking revolver..

I know there are ruger single six combo's out there that are accurate with both .22lr and .22 mag, but i've never seen or shot one..the ones I've seen perfer one cyclinder over the other..
Robert....

Chance favors the prepared mind....
MountainSmith
Levergunner

Single six

Post by MountainSmith »

I have a stainless single six in 4 5/8 barrel (Lipseys) and I really like it for packing. If you are shooting more than packing, my Buckmark seems to group better. I think most quality semi autos shoot better. But, I'm a cowboy, so the single six usually gets the nod.
Go with God
El Mac
Levergunner 2.0

Post by El Mac »

Single Six!!!
2ndovc
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 2ndovc »

just a vote for an S&W Model 17. Tack drivin' son of a gun!!!

When I was at Ohio State I belonged to the Pistol club. We used the same range as the pistol team and the ROTC. Used to compete with the Pistol team guys and their Walthers and Hammerliis (sp) etc. did just fine against those $1000 pistols. ( Man was that a long time ago).

8)
jasonB " Another Dirty Yankee"

" Tomorrow the sun will rise. Who knows what the tide could bring?"
Lefty Dude
Senior Levergunner

Post by Lefty Dude »

A Ruger SS in stainless with the dual cylinders. I have the 6 1/2" and it is the most accurate 22 that I own.

If you can find a S&W model 34 22 they are supurb. I had one and have been kicking myself for ever letting it go. However I do have two custom knives I got in the trade.

The 34 was almost as accurate as the Ruger SS. :wink:
SASS# 51223
Arizona Cowboy Shooter's Assoc.
Cowtown Cowboy Shooter's Assoc.

Uberti 73/44-40 carbine, Rossi 92/44-40,
Marlin 94CB/44 24" Limited, Winchester 94/30-30
salvo
Senior Levergunner

Post by salvo »

I too have a bunch of .22's, but I just love shooting the Single Sixes! I favor the 4 5/8" also.
BassPro of all places had them for $350.00 a few months ago.

ScottS

"No arsenal, no weapon in the arsenals of the world, is so formidable as the will and moral courage of free men and women."
-- Ronald Reagan
SmokeEater2
Levergunner 3.0

Post by SmokeEater2 »

J Miller wrote:Bigahh,

I have three .22 handguns. A Ruger Standard .22 Auto, an Old Model Super Single-Six convertible, and an H&R Sportsman.

Of those three the Super Single-Six is my gun when I just want to go plinking or carrying a light weight pistol when hiking or exploring. It's all but indestructible, accurate for plinking and small animal killing and easy to use and maintain.

My .22 Auto is great for range use, or plinking where you don't care if it gets so dirty it chokes. But for serious use I leave it in the box.

My H&R is great for the same things the Super Single-Six is, except it is LR only, and somewhat more fragile.

Of the three choices you mentioned, and I have, I'd recommend a Ruger Single Six convertible.

Joe

You have impeccable taste in firearms Sir! :) Those 3 you mentioned are close to my own group.
My Ruger semi is the .22/45 version and the Single-Six is the blued 5 1/2 inch model and it's the best dollar value on the market imho for a revolver.
My H&R Sportsman was made in the '40's and has the smoothest action of any revolver I've ever picked up. I wish you could still buy a gun with the quality of bluing this one has for under a grand.
jnyork
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jnyork »

I have a Ruger Mark II Target and a couple of Single Six. I enjoy shooting all of them. The Mark II is VERY accurate, shoots like a rifle. The revolvers are just for fun!!
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Post by J Miller »

Smokeeater2,
My H&R Sportsman was made in the '40's and has the smoothest action of any revolver I've ever picked up. I wish you could still buy a gun with the quality of bluing this one has for under a grand.
Mine was made in 1933 and unless you look real close it looks new. The polish on the steel is better than just about anything on the market today. It's really a shame the way that the finishing touches have been done away with.

Joe
victor
Levergunner 2.0

Post by victor »

another vote for the Ruger Mark II.I have the Target Model and it is a sweet shootin pistol.very accurate, reliable and the prices are reasonable..22 ammo still pretty cheap (bricks) but the .22 mags are getting pricey.
Vic
Winchester Model 94(61').32 Winchester Special
bogus bill
Levergunner 3.0

Post by bogus bill »

A 4 " smith model 18 would be nice. I have a old .22 ruger single six, a colt scout, a colt trooper, a model 34 smith in 2" and a old hdm hi standard. Like them all! Also a woodsman would be nice. I am includeing a s&w model 51 on the bottom that I had with both clyinders. Look for a good used one, nothing wrong with them.

IMG]http://i99.photobucket.com/albums/l320/ ... uns029.jpg[/IMG]

IMG]http://i99.photobucket.com/albums/l320/ ... edited.jpg[/IMG]

bogus bill
Levergunner 3.0

Post by bogus bill »

Here is the other two that didnt "take" on my above post.

IMG]http://i99.photobucket.com/albums/l320/ ... uns029.jpg[/IMG]

bogus bill
Levergunner 3.0

Post by bogus bill »

rjohns94
Advanced Levergunner

Post by rjohns94 »

I have two .22 pistols a smith j-frame with high vis sights, and a Freedom Arms 4 1/2 inch primere version in .22lr and .22mag. The j-frame is extremely light weight and is the modern kit gun. The Freedom Arms is an amazing pistol in fit, function and performance. I'm afraid it does not though fit the "don't want to break the bank" clause. The Single Six would be the way to go in that category.

my Freedom arms .22/.22mag

[/img]Image

my smith J-frame is in the left side of the picture;

good luck in your choice.
Mike Johnson,

"Only those who will risk going too far, can possibly find out how far one can go." T.S. Eliot
Old Ironsights
Posting leader...

Post by Old Ironsights »

.22 pistols are so situation dependent...

For GP I'd have to agree with the Dual Cylinder SS Ruger.

I really liked my 22/45 - and any MK-X variant, but they have the unavoidable issue of being bottom feeders. Less of a problem for rimfires than centerfires, but still...

I really suggest thinking about the application(s) and letting that guide you into one or more compliant guns...

Because, in some circumstances, a Jennings .22 is the bst thing you can have... :wink:
C2N14... because life is not energetic enough.
מנא, מנא, תקל, ופרסין Daniel 5:25-28... Got 7.62?
Not Depressed enough yet? Go read National Geographic, July 1976
Gott und Gewehr mit uns!
brucew44guns
Senior Levergunner

.22 sidearm

Post by brucew44guns »

[quote="2ndovc"]just a vote for an S&W Model 17. Tack drivin' son of a gun!!!

When I was at Ohio State I belonged to the Pistol club. We used the same range as the pistol team and the ROTC. Used to compete with the Pistol team guys and their Walthers and Hammerliis (sp) etc. did just fine against those $1000 pistols. ( Man was that a long time ago).

8)[/quotes

The S&W's such as the 17 and in my case a 617-4 10 shot 8 3/8 tube model, are a real sweet .22 to own. I think they only make the 617 in 6 inch now, but used ones are found sometimes. They cost money, but have a heavy and nice feel to me at least. I'd sure like to find a model 17 too.
To hell with them fellas, buzzards gotta eat same as the worms.
Outlaw Josey Wales

Member GOA
NRA Benefactor-Life
horsesoldier03
Advanced Levergunner

Post by horsesoldier03 »

salvo wrote:I too have a bunch of .22's, but I just love shooting the Single Sixes! I favor the 4 5/8" also.
BassPro of all places had them for $350.00 a few months ago.

SALVO, YOUR SELECTION DEFINATELY HAS MY VOTE! VERY NICE! :D
Rod WMG
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Rod WMG »

Just be sure whatever you get to kill that skunk dead the first shot--very unpleasant otherwise...for days.
A man's heart devises [or schemes] his way, but the LORD directs his steps. Proverbs 16:9
GANJIRO

Post by GANJIRO »

I'm totally happy with my early 90s vintage J-frame clone 9 shot Taurus model 94 ss with 3" barrel and adjustable sights. The size is handy and she shoots more accurate than my eyes allow. I added Hogue grips for the model 85, and picked up Speed-loaders for a H&R model 999, both work perfect. Nice trigger both DA & SA.

Pete44ru
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pete44ru »

First Choice, Ruger Mark II 5 1/4" Tapered Target

Close Second, Ruger Bearcat (shown with a repro Remington Pocket .31)

Last edited by Pete44ru on Sat Apr 26, 2008 8:45 am, edited 1 time in total.
ceb
Levergunner 3.0

Post by ceb »

First Choice, Ruger Mark II 5 1/4" Tapered Target

Pete, you reminded me of the one I USED to own. It was one fine .22. Fella I worked with wanted it bad and kept after me about it. I had 140 bucks in it, and finially traded him for a Kabar, a really nice MK4 Enfield and some cash. Only Ruger in this configuration I'd ever seen. Kinda miss that one.

Currently I use a model 17 Smith, Skeeters writing back in the '70s turned me on to them, and their a great choice. I also replaced the old Ruger MK2 with a 5 1/2" bull barrel version. Very, Very accurate.
WCF3030
Senior Levergunner

Post by WCF3030 »

Rod WMG wrote:Just be sure whatever you get to kill that skunk dead the first shot--very unpleasant otherwise...for days.
Shoot the skunk through the lungs and not the head.
Shot Through the lungs it can not spray, but shot in the head it will spasm and spray.
That which does not kill me has made a grave tactical error.

http://thewoodsman1.blogspot.com/
Savage99
Levergunner 1.0

Post by Savage99 »

How d oyou like those hogue grips compared to the factory ones?? I have a 941 and I was thinking about trying those hogue's..But I really want a set of walnut grips. but nobody makes a set I lke.
GANJIRO wrote:I'm totally happy with my early 90s vintage J-frame clone 9 shot Taurus model 94 ss with 3" barrel and adjustable sights. The size is handy and she shoots more accurate than my eyes allow. I added Hogue grips for the model 85, and picked up Speed-loaders for a H&R model 999, both work perfect. Nice trigger both DA & SA.

Robert....

Chance favors the prepared mind....
Buffboy
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Buffboy »

I"m a little late to the party but you have a wonderful decision ahead because there are so many good choices already posted. There really is no bad choice of the ones presented. You should handle as many as you can to see which feels best to you. There will be one that just speaks to you, that always seems to have the sights lined up on the target when you point it. There actually, likely, be more than one, but you can always buy more. :wink:

FWIW, my two 22 pistols are both Rugers, Mark 1 5" bull barrel and a Mark 2 5" bull barrel. The Mark 1 wears an old Weaver Quick Point and looks like something out of a science fiction movie. Sure is easy to hit with though. The Mark 2 is stock. It's been quite a while ago, but I didn't pay over $200 for either.
"People who object to weapons aren't abolishing violence, they're begging for rule by brute force, when the biggest, strongest animals among men were always automatically 'right.' Guns ended that, and social democracy is a hollow farce without an armed populace to make it work."

- L. Neil Smith
Rimfire McNutjob
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Rimfire McNutjob »

My input is of less than zero use. I'm going 6" Diamondback 22. Out of production, expensive on the used market, but oh so sweet.
... I love poetry, long walks on the beach, and poking dead things with a stick.
Pete44ru
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pete44ru »

[I'm going 6" Diamondback 22. Out of production, expensive on the used market, but oh so sweet.]

And.............Oh so shiney, too ! :mrgreen:
Lefty Dude
Senior Levergunner

Post by Lefty Dude »

I just returned from an Estate Auction this morning.

I bought a mint S&W #34 22 kit gun square butt 4" barrel like the one I traded for custom knives 25 years ago. Good price $250.00. I still have all my custom J frame grips.
SASS# 51223

GANJIRO

Post by GANJIRO »

Savage99 wrote:How do you like those hogue grips compared to the factory ones?? I have a 941 and I was thinking about trying those Hogue's..But I really want a set of walnut grips. but nobody makes a set I like.
The old factory grips were more like holding a handle, utilitarian but ugly. The Hogues to me were much more comfortable and better looking more conducive to accurate shooting.
Gun Smith
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Gun Smith »

One of the nicest little guns ever to come down the pike for a wheel gun was the S&W 22/32 Kit Gun. It was designed to be a pack gun when in the outdoors, or a little plinker. Light and beautifully made and very desirable when new. Probably an expensive collector by now.
preventec47
Levergunner 2.0

Post by preventec47 »

The one thing unique about 22 automatic pistols compared
to all other calibers are the extra long target length barrels
available.
I have four all with 7.5 inch barrels and love them all.
Browning Buckmark, S&W 22-A, Beretta Neos and the
expensive S&W 41. The 22-A has thescope on it which
is much fun. I also have a S&W 422 in the shorter std
5 inc barrel which is the lightest of the pistols and they
are all equally fun to shoot and honestly all function
very well. The 22A has the takedown ribbon as it has
the pushbutton barrel function which allows the barrell
to come off as fast as ejecting a magazine.

I am upset that I cannot get other calibers like 9mm or
45s or 40s in barrels longer than 6 inches and even then
you have to pay about twelve hundred bucks which
is crazy as the std length for large frames is right at
5 inches. I have nothing against cowboy pistols
but I just always liked magazine fed guns.
Modoc ED
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Modoc ED »

wm wrote:How about a stainless steel Ruger Bearcat with an added J frame adjustable sight and one cylinder marked and reamed for 22 mag?

Anyway that is on my short list of project firearms!

Wm
Just went and measured the cylinder on my Ruger Bearcat and it isn't long enough to chamber a .22 Mag.
ED
Yer never too old
Lefty Dude
Senior Levergunner

Post by Lefty Dude »

Check out the Cimarron Arms site. They have a 22 SA called the "Plinkerton".

Not a bad price also. Just heard out this one.
SASS# 51223

AndyM
Levergunner 3.0

Post by AndyM »

I own a Ruger MKII with the 5.5" bull barrel - this is a great fun gun to shoot. My Dad has a Single-Six 5.5" with dual cylinders - this is the handgun I learned how to shoot a pistol with. If pressed - to buy only onw - I would go with the single-six.
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

One of the early goals in my collecting was to obtain a .22 in every major action type, in both handgun and long gun form. Why? .22's are dirt cheap and fun to shoot! No surprise here. Figured these would be great training tools in the future for kids, as I completed my quest before my children were born.

I have a Ruger Single Six (for the single-action), Taurus Model 94 (like Ji's - for the double action), and Browning Buckmark for the semi-auto. I also picked up a Ruger Mark II from a customer. Since they are now into the Mark III's, the Mark II's can be had for great deals.

For the long gun I have a bolt action (the original that my father started me off with), lever action, slide/pump, and several semi-autos.

Point is, like potato chips, it is hard to just have one. Thus, I looked for "deals of opportunity" and struck when I found what I wanted for the right price. Have fun! :D
johnly
Levergunner 1.0

Post by johnly »

I have a Ruger Single Six w/ a spare 22 WMR cylinder and a 4" M-63 S&W. For general packing around, the M-63 would get the nod, if I could only have one or the other I'd keep the Ruger.

John
kentdep
Levergunner 1.0

Post by kentdep »

My take in the woods hunting twenty-two is a Bisley Super Single Six. I like this gun a lot. 5 1/2 barrel and I can switch between Long Rifle and Maganums.

Jay
alnitak
Senior Levergunner

Post by alnitak »

rjohns94 wrote: The Freedom Arms is an amazing pistol in fit, function and performance. I'm afraid it does not though fit the "don't want to break the bank" clause.
Wow, Mike! That Freedom Arms is beautiful!!

Nice pictures. Like your bug out combo.
"From birth 'til death...we travel between the eternities." -- Print Ritter in Broken Trail
ScottT
Shootist

Post by ScottT »

I have a Bisley Single Six that John Linebaugh fixed up for me many years ago. It probably has 10K rounds through the bore.

But, I have a Ruger MKII 5.5 inch bull barrel that outshoots it hands down. I mean, no contest.

The MKII is my favorite fishing gun and I wish I had one in stainless. It shoots like a rifle if I do my part.
piller
Posting leader...

Post by piller »

I have a Ruger MkII tapered barrel with plain sights and it has never let me down. My favorite for just plain fun is a Ceiner conversion kit to put on my Rock Island Armory 1911. It is plenty accurate and a lot of fun to shoot.
D. Brian Casady
Quid Llatine Dictum Sit, Altum Viditur.
Advanced is being able to do the basics while your leg is on fire---Bill Jeans
Don't ever take a fence down until you know why it was put up---Robert Frost
Hillbilly
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Hillbilly »

I have a Colt Trooper 6 inch unfired, a good SW K17 (bought from our own "45/70"), Colt New Frontier buntline and shoot the sons Walther P 22 a bit.

If I kept just one .. I have a 4" SW 18 thats the bomb.

Jeff