"Sharps 25-45" round in an AR...anyone shot one...?

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
AJMD429
Posting leader...

"Sharps 25-45" round in an AR...anyone shot one...?

Post by AJMD429 »

I don't think it could take over the suppressed/subsonic market like the 300 Blackout, but the ballistics are pretty impressive:

http://srcarms.com/wordpress/25-45-Sharps/ammunition/

An 87 grain bullet still going 1,627 fps at 500 yards and down 48 inches from a 200-yard zero, isn't really much different from ordinary 55 grain or 62 grain 223 in trajectory, but has a bit more energy, and a bit larger diameter, at 0.257".

Anyway, I thought it was interesting.

I've seen the 223 Rem case 'wildcatted' to 172, 204, 243, 257, 264, 284, 308, and 338 caliber so far...

Here's a review - http://ar15hunter.com/25-45-sharps-cart ... nt-report/
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
earlmck
Advanced Levergunner

Re: "Sharps 25-45" round in an AR...anyone shot one...?

Post by earlmck »

Nice! Now if they'd just put it in a handy lever action -- maybe a Savage 99-- we'd have us a 250/3000 all over again! Couldn't fault that at all.

But to your original question -- I have been shooting virtually that cartridge for over 40 years, except mine is on the 222 magnum case and in a Sako bolt action. But I have never shot anything larger than a coyote with it, though it should certainly do the job on a deer or antelope. Wonderful versatile cartridge and also makes a nice cast bullet platform in the bolt gun. That might be a little tricky in the AR.

And I don't quite make 3000 fps with the 87 grain bullet. Maybe 2900 if I were to push it hard.
The greatest patriot...
is he who heals the most gullies.
Patrick Henry
Rusty
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Rusty »

I first heard about it a couple of years ago while listening to Gun Talk with Tom Gresham. He had a representative from Sharps on the show to talk about it. My first thought was that it would make the AR a legal deer rifle in every state. Then I was thinking it would be much easier to make brass for than the .300 Blackout because there's no brass trimming to do. It sounds ike a win, win all around to me to get more punch from an AR with minimal fuss. I'd like to hear more about it as well.
If you're gonna be stupid ya gotta be tough-
Isiah 55:8&9

It's easier to fool people than it is to convince them they have been fooled.
GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Post by GunnyMack »

I too looked at this round, then realized I have a perfectly good 257 Roberts Ackley Improved that I built on a Mexican Mauser.
Still an intriguing cartridge.
BROWN LABS MATTER !!
piller
Posting leader...

Post by piller »

It sounds interesting.
D. Brian Casady
Quid Llatine Dictum Sit, Altum Viditur.
Advanced is being able to do the basics while your leg is on fire---Bill Jeans
Don't ever take a fence down until you know why it was put up---Robert Frost
Leverluver
Senior Levergunner

Post by Leverluver »

It is an interesting little cartridge. They're facility is just 1/2 mile west of my shop. I had some involvement in the first loads as in they used my pressure equipment to develop the earlier loads to find its potential. I worked with one of the previous partners with the first loads and then loaned them my equipment to continue the process when they learned how the run the electrical "junk". Since then, they have purchased their own equipment and continued the process. They did come up with a doosey of a proprietary powder that would do more than anything I had tried. Yeah, I know another "proprietary" mythical powder but it really was. I had never heard of it before or since and to the best of my knowledge it cannot be purchased by hand loaders. Sorry don't recall its name/number.

earlmck is right, it is the 250-3000 on a 223 case and that is nothing to sneeze at. Personally I wouldn't push the top end with the AR platform but I know others that do with no consequences but, then again, I am the cautious type. Out of a bolt gun it is a scooter.

I have no involvement business wise (haven't even talked to them in a year and a half). At the time, I was just giving a hand to locals and friends that came up with a good product that has legit uses.