Our Little Fox Buddy Is Getting Brave

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Sixgun
Posting leader...
Location: S.E. Pa. Where The Finest Winchesters & Colts Reside

Our Little Fox Buddy Is Getting Brave

Post by Sixgun »

I firmly believe that if we put the dogs in another room, propped open the storm door, and stood back, that this fox would walk right on in the house, sit down, have a beer, and toke on the cigar.

I took these pics with the main door open and in full view. Myself and the fox were only about 4' apart and in one pic, near nose to nose. He's a friendly little guy. He stayed on the sidewalk making eyes with our Shih tzu, Miss Apple.----6

Here he is asking Miss Apple out for a date....(I think he wants to eat Miss Apple)

How about this one. He looked at me, took a bite and took off.

Last edited by Sixgun on Fri Dec 23, 2016 12:49 am, edited 1 time in total.
1st. Gen. Colt SAA’s, 1878 D.A.45 and a 38-55 Marlin TD

gundownunder
Senior Levergunner

Re: Our Little Fox Buddy Is Getting Brave

Post by gundownunder »

Very strange.
I'd enjoy the encounter, but be very wary about it as he could carry rabies or any number of other diseases.
Bob
You have got to love democracy-
It lets you choose who your dictator is going to be.
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

WWND
(What would Nate do)
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
wolfdog
Levergunner 3.0

Post by wolfdog »

Many years ago had a "camp" fox at a hunting camp in FL. Would come up looking for scraps at meal times. Really cool part was had no problems with mice fro the couple of years he was around.
GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Post by GunnyMack »

Keep a close eye on him, rabies, distemper or even mange can cause behavior changes. A ' normal' fox shouldn't act that way, but it's possible he has been habituated to people. Keep an eye on your dog!
BROWN LABS MATTER !!
OldWin
Advanced Levergunner

Post by OldWin »

Neat pictures Jack. He is definitely curious but I surely wouldn't let him in.
I'm thinking the missus wouldn't be impressed once that little sucker flipped out in the house. :D
I got this mental picture of Ole Six chasin' him around with an M1 carbine while the fox is chasing the dog. :lol:

Then Ole Six looking for a place to stay. :lol:
"Oh bother", said Pooh, as he chambered another round.
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

GunnyMack wrote:Keep a close eye on him, rabies, distemper or even mange can cause behavior changes. A ' normal' fox shouldn't act that way, but it's possible he has been habituated to people. Keep an eye on your dog!
Yep.
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
Pitchy
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pitchy »

Pretty cool Sixgun, it`s probably tamed up from being fed by everyone around but as said use caution.
Norma`s been feed the deer and several of them come within ten feet of here, she goes out and rattles the can of corn and they come running out of the woods. :)
Because I Can, and Have
-------------------------------------------------------------
USAF-72-76
God Bless America.
Disclaimer, not responsible for anyone copying or building anything i make.
Always consult an expert first.
Sixgun
Posting leader...

Post by Sixgun »

I had another post about a month ago on this and another much smaller fox....probably his mate. And like I said in the other post, these foxes have been coming around for quite some time. They are both very healthy.....yea, wonder why......Costco cat food every night........ Over the years I've shot a lot of them that were all mangy and looked like they were on their last leg. I can tell when the fox population is out of control and that's when I bring out the 218 Bee, affectionately known as "the cat rifle".

After eating what they can here, they head next door a couple of hundred yards away to my wife's sisters house where they dine on leftovers.

Between these foxes and the cats, I can honestly say we have never seen a "live" mouse in the house in over 40 years.----6

GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Post by GunnyMack »

The good news Six is you don't have coyotes!
BROWN LABS MATTER !!
Sixgun
Posting leader...

Post by Sixgun »

GunnyMack wrote:The good news Six is you don't have coyotes!
Now...that quote hit a nerve as while I've had little experience with those critters, except from hunting elk out West, I've been told they are very nasty ......will kill your dogs and eat your cats. Yea, different breed altogether.----6

Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

BlaineG wrote:WWND
(What would Nate do)
+1 :lol:
m.wun
Levergunner 3.0

Post by m.wun »

He would make one fine trappers Hat! I probably wouldn't but I'd reserve the right to.
What in the wild world of sports is going on here
jeepnik
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jeepnik »

Sixgun wrote:
GunnyMack wrote:The good news Six is you don't have coyotes!
Now...that quote hit a nerve as while I've had little experience with those critters, except from hunting elk out West, I've been told they are very nasty ......will kill your dogs and eat your cats. Yea, different breed altogether.----6
They will kill you cats, dogs and children. But according to folks around here, they're so cute. :roll: I've got a few running the canyon behind my place. People are starting to complain about pets "disappearing". One nut case blames it on scientist stealing them for experiments.

I have a solution to the problem one which several folks around here have suggested from time to time.
Jeepnik AKA "Old Eyes"
"Go low, go slow and preferably in the dark" The old Sarge (he was maybe 24.
"Freedom is never more that a generation from extinction" Ronald Reagan
"Every man should have at least one good rifle and know how to use it" Dad
marlinman93
Advanced Levergunner

Post by marlinman93 »

Doubt a fox that calmly observes you at the door, or simply waits outside for a treat, has rabies. More likely he is tame (as others mentioned) and is waiting for a hand out. Not that a fox wouldn't take a cat or small dog, so I'd keep them inside, but not worry about rabies in that one.
Pre WWI Marlins and Singleshot rifles!
http://members.tripod.com/~OregonArmsCollectors/
Sixgun
Posting leader...

Post by Sixgun »

marlinman93 wrote:Doubt a fox that calmly observes you at the door, or simply waits outside for a treat, has rabies. More likely he is tame (as others mentioned) and is waiting for a hand out. Not that a fox wouldn't take a cat or small dog, so I'd keep them inside, but not worry about rabies in that one.
Right. He's not all that tame. If I move or open the door, the fox will bolt...but comes back in five minutes or so. We here, in Sixgun land, don't believe in throwing unused food in the trash. No matter what the food is, there's something that will eat it.......we are even selective on where the food gets thrown. Most stuff gets put on a pan and set on the grass. Vegetable matter like corn or lettuce, carrots etc. gets thrown over the fence where the deer can get it. In the rare case where meat does not look healthy, there's another spot out in the pasture that I put it and the coons get that...what they don't eat, the buzzards will the next day. One time we had an outside party and there must have been 3 five gallon buckets full of watermelon rinds and you would never believe who came to scarf that up. I tell ya, never a day without some kind of action around here.----6

JerryB
Advanced Levergunner

Post by JerryB »

Enjoy the Red Rascals, like I said on your other post we had some grey fox that we enjoyed for several years. They would sit in the yard close to the house and look in the windows waiting for some food.
JerryB II Corinthians 3:17, Now the Lord is that Spirit: and where the Spirit of the Lord is, there is liberty.

JOSHUA 24:15
kaschi
Levergunner 3.0

Post by kaschi »

Lucky you getting to enjoy that fox. They are beautiful animals and I always wanted one for a pet.
Sixgun
Posting leader...

Post by Sixgun »

kaschi wrote:Lucky you getting to enjoy that fox. They are beautiful animals and I always wanted one for a pet.
Just asked the expert..the one I married.....and she told me she has seen this in her world of animal people. Not sure, but I think it's illegal as these are game animals. And as we like some animals in the house that would not work as the dogs would get jealous, not to mention their pee is crazy stinky. That part I know for sure as I coated my Trump election yard signs with this stuff and even after several rains, I had to burn em.----6

GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Post by GunnyMack »

It is quite likely Mr Fox does not have rabies, distemper or mange- YET ! It's always a possibility.
Sure he is getting 3 hots & a cot in your neighborhood but he is not acting the way a fox should- keep an eye on your pets.
As for deer, I had a doe, called her Scabby because she showed up with road rash. Scabby would come up on the deck and look in the French door. She would eat from my hand, let me scratch her head but she was FAR from tame. The group she ran with would hear my truck ( Cummins diesel)coming home and be there waiting to get fed. Those 2 bad winters a few back, the increase in yotes and our over zealous deer harvesting has taken its toll. No longer do I see 10-20 deer all winter, now I have 2
!
BROWN LABS MATTER !!
Old Ironsights
Posting leader...

Post by Old Ironsights »

Habituated.

Kind of like a "feral" cat in that respect.

If he's not a problem I don't see a reason to do anything but watch and maybe leave some butchering scraps for him & the missus.

I've had deer that were like that. Could almost touch them when they came to visit.
C2N14... because life is not energetic enough.
מנא, מנא, תקל, ופרסין Daniel 5:25-28... Got 7.62?
Not Depressed enough yet? Go read National Geographic, July 1976
Gott und Gewehr mit uns!
marlinman93
Advanced Levergunner

Post by marlinman93 »

Sounds like you've got a great recycle program going Sixgun! And ensuring it doesn't bring the wrong type of critters up to your house either. My buddy simply dumps everything on one compost pile behind his garage. The other day we were working on his hotrod and I saw movement out the back window. Crawling down the top of his fence was a huge rat! I pointed it out, and he said he seems to be getting a lot of them around lately. Well duh! A compost pile full of rations for them?
Pre WWI Marlins and Singleshot rifles!
http://members.tripod.com/~OregonArmsCollectors/
Rusty
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Rusty »

Several times a year there are incidents on the news around here of people being attacked by rabid foxes.
If you're gonna be stupid ya gotta be tough-
Isiah 55:8&9

It's easier to fool people than it is to convince them they have been fooled.
FWiedner
Advanced Levergunner

Post by FWiedner »

Domestic canine species guarantee their survival by interacting with humans, reading their societal and emotional queues, and then by playing those queues and emotions to fit in to their advantage.

Wild canine species are much more intelligent, and that's what this little fellow is doing.

He has recognized that he can come into your territory and consume your resources without consequence, and to his advantage. Now he's taking your measure to decide if he can exert dominance to drive you out.

He'll continue to hang out at your place consuming groceries and using your stuff as long as you let him, much like your dog. The difference is that this free-loader absolutely has the ability to "make his own living". But why should he? You're easy.

If you tried to run him off, you might get a fight.

:lol:
Government office attracts the power-mad, yet it's people who just want to be left alone to live life on their own terms who are considered dangerous.

History teaches that it's a small window in which people can fight back before it is too dangerous to fight back.
GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Post by GunnyMack »

I saw a special that compared dogs to wolves.
It seems we as a species have bred our dogs to be problem solvers. Wolves do not possess the ability to figure out simple problems.
A dog was shown food under a small box, it almost instantly flipped it and got the food. The wolf was shown same box and it knew the food was there 1 second but gone the next as it was covered up. Then it just sat there.
Even after the wolf watched the dog flip the box it still couldn't figure out how to do it.

Smarter?
More devious, yes. Better at outwitting prey, maybe.
If wolves were smarter then a border collie we would not have any deer,caribou,sheep, moose! Wolves have not evolved like our dogs.

Which leads me to cats...
Neighbors cat goes missing, 3 days later a closet door is opened and there's the cat. Never a scratch,meow... smart- NOT IN THE LEAST!
BROWN LABS MATTER !!
azzhandler
Levergunner 2.0

Post by azzhandler »

I don't know whoever said wolves ain't smart,, but I'll guarantee my wolf is smarter than any of the dogs I've owned