OT-Any fly tiers on here

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
shawn_c992001
Levergunner 3.0

OT-Any fly tiers on here

Post by shawn_c992001 »

Just wondering how many people roll their own fish getters and critter getters.
SASS#43836
Ain't easy havin' pals.
Rusty
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Rusty »

Shawn,
I tie, but all of mine is for salt water. I use only Clousers for everything. I vary the size and the color.
I've only been freshwater trout fishing one time in Helen, Ga and I caught 5 of them in the 18-22" range. they were monsters.
If you're gonna be stupid ya gotta be tough-
Isiah 55:8&9

It's easier to fool people than it is to convince them they have been fooled.
crs
Advanced Levergunner

Post by crs »

My dad , brothers, and I all tied our own flies. I fly fished for perch, bass, and trout from mid teens through college, but job travel. sports cars, Big D ladies, and shooting just crowded out the fly fishing. Guess I will go back to it when I get too old to bust birds or bucks (ladies and sports cars are long gone). :roll:
CRS, NRA Benefactor Member, TSRA, DRSS, DWWC, Whittington Center
Android Ballistics App at http://www.xplat.net/
Bob A
Levergunner 1.0

Post by Bob A »

I've been tying my trout flies for years. Nothing fancy but I find that the trout in the Sierra Nevada are pretty agressive and will strike just about any well presented fly. The key for me is seeing the fly on the water. That's why I use alot of white upwings. I need lots of visibility. Same reason I use a scope with most of my rifles.

Bob A
95fan
Levergunner 2.0

Post by 95fan »

I have been tying for years, although lately I have not had any spare time to do so. For a while a few years back I tied for some of the local shops around here.
A perfect day can only be achieved while hunting
rjohns94
Advanced Levergunner

Post by rjohns94 »

I tie my own.
Mike Johnson,

"Only those who will risk going too far, can possibly find out how far one can go." T.S. Eliot
AndyM
Levergunner 3.0

Post by AndyM »

I tried years ago and just could not get them to look right - I could do buggers and some others that were easy- but make me do an Adams or caddies and there was no way I could make it look buggy. I finally gave up and starting buying - plus I did not want fly tying tools taking up space on my reloading bench.
k8bor
Levergunner 2.0

Post by k8bor »

I tie my own. Seldom do they look like what their supposed to, but as long as the shape is somewhat right and they are hairy, most of them do pretty well. I make sure the floaters have enough "wing" to keep them up and they do pretty well too.
de k8bor

Dave
lever-4-life
Levergunner 2.0

Post by lever-4-life »

I tie my own, but i also buy some. One of my corny little things is going to the local fly shops in the areas that I travel to fish and buying two "house flys" (flys that only come from that area or that particular shop) One to fish with :D and one to keep in a collection with the info on where it came from.
Break on through to the other side!!!
k8bor
Levergunner 2.0

Post by k8bor »

Lever4life,

Very pragmatic approach. I live 1/2 mile from the AuSable here in MI, and the trout are about as selective as you can get. I should also state that I too, buy flys when fishing that river, as "the hatch" changes almost week-to-week, and sometimes the differences are so subtle I can't tell what they are.

I do, however tie all my "warm water" flies for bass, gills, etc.
de k8bor

Dave
TNBigBore
Levergunner 3.0

Post by TNBigBore »

I used to tie my own for mountain trout, stuff like Adams parchutes, elk hair caddis, Thunderheads and bead head stuff for the tailwaters. I have not tied one in at least 10 years, but still have hundreds left from when I did. It is a lot of fun and satisfying, but does not work well with several pairs of extra hands (7, 2 and 1) all "helping".
shawn_c992001
Levergunner 3.0

Post by shawn_c992001 »

TNBigBore you'll probably miss all those little hands later on. Just get them their own rods and let them have at it.
SASS#43836
Ain't easy havin' pals.
Quick Karl

Post by Quick Karl »

I tie Clousers and Deceivers for my trips to Tampa. FL and when I get to Texas to visit my niece, which isn't as often as I'd like - I'm a Speckled Sea Trout lover!

I tried throwing at Trout but here in AZ it's like fishing for bait - all hatchery fish and all the same teeny lil size. I've caught a few 4-5 lb bass in Roosevelt but the last few years the lake been so low it's just ugly to fish.
shawn_c992001
Levergunner 3.0

Post by shawn_c992001 »

My Father-In-Law and I have a trip planned for this weekend to Cherokee Lake in TN. for some striper fishing. I'm going to take my 8wt. and see if I can out fish him with spinning tackle. I'm also going to have my spinning rod in there and so I don't get shunked too bad.
SASS#43836
Ain't easy havin' pals.
Rusty
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Rusty »

Shawn,

Someone sent me a picture one time of a fly that was basically a Clouser that was tied using pink bucktail on top. They called it a pink wonder. You might try a few of them and see what happens. when I tie a clouse I usually tie them as long as the material I'm using will allow and carry a pair of scissors with me to trim it to the need at hand when I find out how big the baitfish are where I am.

k8bor
Levergunner 2.0

Post by k8bor »

Nice tip Rusty.

de k8bor

dave
de k8bor

Dave
GANJIRO

Post by GANJIRO »

Opposite end of my reloading bench is my fly tying bench with vise mount and accessories nearby. I've tied small shrimp imitations to catch smallmouths in the streams but most of what I tie are larger streamers for saltwater gamesters, i'll post pics when I find them.
Rusty
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Rusty »

I guess I kind of have tunnel vision when it comes to flies. The only thing I tie is Clousers cause they work so well with just a few variations. I've even used bead chain for the eyes on a small hook to catch bluegill. In My mind it's still a Clouser.

Dave, the reason they call the pink one "the Pink Wonder" is because it's a wonder it catches anything.

shawn_c992001
Levergunner 3.0

Post by shawn_c992001 »

I don't know I've caught alot of bass on "Bubblegum" color stuff, like jigs, sluggo's, and even a Zara Spook. Trout even seem to like a small 1/16th oz. jig with a fuzzy marabou tail.
SASS#43836
Ain't easy havin' pals.
geobru
Levergunner 3.0

Post by geobru »

I've tied flies for over three decades. Started out tying steelhead and salmon flies because they are bigger and easier to tie, and were more expensive to buy. After that, I started tying trout flies which also work for all kinds of things like bass, perch, blue gill, catfish, suckers, whitefish, carp and turtles.

I found out early on that people are a lot more attracted to flies that look perfect than fish are. If the size and color are close to what the fish are eating, you will catch fish. Before I started to fly fish, I thought you had to be an expert to catch fish. I caught eight trout in a couple of hours the first time I tried it and I was hooked!!

It has been a great way to spend time with my kids. One of my sons learned to cast in our front yard. He practiced every night for three months when he was ten years old. He had blisters on his hands from whipping that pole back and forth so many times. I took him to a favorite beaver pond to give him a shot at some fish and he caught three trout before I got my first one! Great times. 8)
claybob86
Senior Levergunner

Post by claybob86 »

I tie wet flies and nymphs but buy most of the the dry flies. Been hard to find time for it in recent years, though. :?
Have you hugged your rifle today?