Wacked another one...

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
.45colt
Advanced Levergunner

Wacked another one...

Post by .45colt »

Left for work an hour ago. roads are snow covered, kind of greasy. Big Ohio Buck decides to commit suicide by Subaru :evil: . some how I kept the car on the road, the ditches here are about 6' deep. the older I get this is less fun. :shock: . I....almost missed Him. at least I'm not busted up.
Mainehunter
Senior Levergunner

Re: Wacked another one...

Post by Mainehunter »

At least you're ok! How bad is the subi? Any chance taking the buck since it's been KO'd?

Mainehunter
GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Post by GunnyMack »

Glad you are ok, hope The car isn't too bad off!

I was coming home one Super Bowl Sunday, I was tired BUT hadn't had anything to drink, when I see a car in front of me slam on the brakes. I ease over to the left lane and see deer crossing, as I slowed down I don't see any more crossing and began to speed up. WHAM, aw stuff- I pull over, get out and look over my truck. No damage thankfully. I find a now freezing snot print that goes from right rear wheel well to back bumper. Now the odd thing is, there is deer nose between the sharp edge of bumper and roll pan/bed . Deer was nose scalped!
BROWN LABS MATTER !!
.45colt
Advanced Levergunner

Post by .45colt »

He made it across the ditch into a property that is about 100 acres of heavy brush. I'm sure He didn't go far. the land is all posted and I don't know if I could get permission . darn Deer. the Forester is a year old. I bet the damage, just a guess will be 5k.
Borregos
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Borregos »

Glad you are ok!!

I'll tell my deer whacking story when I recover from snow blowing the driveway :)
Pete
Sometimes I wonder if it is worthwhile gnawing through the leather straps to get up in the morning..................
ollogger
Advanced Levergunner

Post by ollogger »

Glad your ok!!
I don't know how a deer can be so smart at avoiding a man with a gun & then jump
right in front of a fast moving vehicle

Brad
Pete44ru
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pete44ru »

I got tired of it, and installed a set of deer whistles behind the grilles of my vehicles several years ago (so far, so good - no deer whacks yet).

GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Post by GunnyMack »

Best thing I found is when the exhaust rotted off my '07 Dodge with 5.9 L Cummins, new muffler & pipes to get it back to rear corner was close to $600, so I just bought 1 pipe and a down turn, NOW those deer run when they hear me coming!

I always wanted a push bar arrangement with spikes on the front, if they are going to run out at least I could try to prevent running them over by sticking them fast!
BROWN LABS MATTER !!
harry
Senior Levergunner

Post by harry »

In the early 2000's I lived and worked in Big Piney WY. We have a lot of winter range for deer and elk and I had to drive thru about 20 miles of the Wyoming range foot hills, I hit 5 deer in one winter and over all hit 14 deer between 2000 and 2009. Truck of choice 78 chevy 3/4 ton 4x4 with a Warne winch bumper. Grilles were about 50 bucks and I popped out the drivers door skin 5 or 6 times. The muley's would be heard'ed up and crossing the road and there would seem to always be one that stayed on other side of the road and would call to the others, just when you thought you had cleared them they would turn and all cross the road again. This was common in the dark or dark and snowing drives to work and back.
Trump 2024

All responses have been cleared by the law firm of "Elmer and Fudd."
mikld
Advanced Levergunner

Post by mikld »

I got my first deer 8 years ago (city boy here) with my Tacoma PU. Sunday morn. going to visit a church in N. CA and smacked a small deer, mebbe 6 points. After I stopped and looked in my mirror he was in the ditch beside the road and I got out of the truck to go look at him. When I got out he was gone! Cost $2500 BUCKS to fix my truck... :lol:
Mike
Vocatus atque non vocatus, Deus aderit...
I've learned how to stand on my own two knees...
EdinCT
Levergunner 3.0

Post by EdinCT »

Glad you are ok, its a real drag hitting one. We had one appear in the windshield last year at 65 MPH and I thought big deer coming in. The windshield caved in about 4 inches, we were covered with glass and there was deer waste all over the side of the car 3600 dollars damage. But the deer had run off. I believe it must of died though.
M. M. Wright
Advanced Levergunner

Post by M. M. Wright »

That's awful and boy, can I sympathize. Our new to us Explorer was attacked by a whitetail buck, just slammed the passenger side to the tune of $3700. Then jumped up and ran off. I've skinned a few road kills and it's usually not worth it. Too much bruising.
M. M. Wright, Sheriff, Green county Arkansas (1860)
Currently living my eternal life.
NRA Life
SASS
ITSASS
Booger Bill
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Booger Bill »

We live around Cedar City Utah. You can usually spot three or so deer kills every day if you drive much around here. Do deer whistles really work well? I was raised in Wisconsin and I knew some people used them but thought they really just a gimmick. A few years ago I hit a small fawn on a trail with our RZR. I had to finish it off with my revolver. My wife, a big Bambi lover went in hysterics. I must have been having a tire go flat at the same time. I stood on the brake and that twisted the tire over the inter-tube ripping the valve stem off. We were about 30 miles from our truck and I couldn't repair or plug the tire. It was getting dark. Finally a family come by in a 4WD and took us to our truck and trailer. It was 02:00 when we got back.
piller
Posting leader...

Post by piller »

I was driving home from an overnight shift in Topeka, heading back to Lawrence, when a couple of guys in a much faster car pulled around me and almost blew my doors off. I was doing about 60 in a 55 zone. Just as they got back into the correct lane on that 2 lane road, I looked over and saw a deer. Big doe running fast to cross the road. I slammed on the brakes and just stopped about 18 inches away from the Datsun 280Z that had just passed me but was now severely damaged by the impact. The doe was obviously dead. Broken neck. The 2 college kids in the car were OK. I backed up and drove around them and stopped at the next house I saw and had the lady there call the Sherriff. If they hadn't passed me, it would probably have been me with the damaged car. So far, that is the closest I have come to hitting a deer. No, I don't want to experience it first-hand.
D. Brian Casady
Quid Llatine Dictum Sit, Altum Viditur.
Advanced is being able to do the basics while your leg is on fire---Bill Jeans
Don't ever take a fence down until you know why it was put up---Robert Frost
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

Happy you are okay! Deer hits are often deadly... for the driver and passengers... :shock:
Rusty
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Rusty »

If you check the Boone and Crockett books there is a category for road kills.

I was driving the 18 wheeler a few years ago when I came upon a doe crossing the road with her head down. Just after she crossed and was safe another doe came out of the woods following her. The second with it's head down as well walked right into my fuel tank. I know it was a solid hit. That was at about 1 AM. Around noon I came back on that same stretch of road and saw lots of blood but no body. I'm thinking someone picked it up and took it home.

Glad you're OK Colt.
If you're gonna be stupid ya gotta be tough-
Isiah 55:8&9

It's easier to fool people than it is to convince them they have been fooled.
.45colt
Advanced Levergunner

Post by .45colt »

Thanks Guys. Sunday and Monday are regular days off. went back to work 5 am Tuesday upper back and neck were killing Me, must be a mild case of whiplash. much better today. repair shop called car should be fixed Jan 4th. glad for insurance.....bill is over 7k...... :o :shock: :lol: .