Who Knows Their Stuff On Micrometers?

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Sixgun
Posting leader...
Location: S.E. Pa. Where The Finest Winchesters & Colts Reside

Who Knows Their Stuff On Micrometers?

Post by Sixgun »

Ok guys, here's the scoop. Like most of you guys, I also do a lot of measuring.

Common knowledge is you use a vernier caliper for length and a micrometer for diameter. Yea, a vernier can be used either way, but a micrometer is more accurate and consistent, especially if your anal like me. Gets worse as I age.

I have a Mitutoyo, Starrett, and a Lyman for calipers. I have a Starrett micrometer.

Here's the problem...I'm tired of putting on my visors to read the lines on the micrometer. Plus, the one I have is small. I want a new micrometer and while I'm not rich, I don't care about spending bucks for a nice one. I want no Walmart junk. I want quality and one that measures to ten thousandths in a read out.

I'm online and I like these Starrett Model T216.XRL-2 for a bit under 3 Bens.

Any opinions?-----Mr. Mould.....eeeerrrr, for today, 6

This is the stuff I've been using since dirt was made.

1st. Gen. Colt SAA’s, 1878 D.A.45 and a 38-55 Marlin TD

GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Re: Who Knows Their Stuff On Micrometers?

Post by GunnyMack »

Six-Dial calipers are the way to go, have you looked at the digital read-out models? Easier for the eyes.
My mic stays in my tool box for the most part. My calipers live in their case on the bench top.
BROWN LABS MATTER !!
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

The venier SHOULD give you the exact same measurement as the micrometer. And it much easier to read than the micrometer... I only use my micrometer (Starrett) for rod & main journals...
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
OldWin
Advanced Levergunner

Post by OldWin »

Jack,
I use this stuff every day for a living. The Starrett 216 is what I have at home. I also have the 120 6" dial caliper.
Dials and digitals are easier to read but no more accurate and in some instances less, there's just no way to tell unless checked.
For whatever reason, people like to believe digital stuff. The truth is, it's cheaper to make today.
I guess after all my blathering, yes, a 216 that is cared for will be more than accurate enough for what you want.
In my opinion, while handy and fast, a dial or digital caliper doesn't give the accuracy of a mic. It's good within a .001-.0015 in most cases. It's the leverage from the measuring surface to the actual slide that limits them.
"Oh bother", said Pooh, as he chambered another round.
Sixgun
Posting leader...

Post by Sixgun »

Ok, I'm getting somewhere. Jay confirmed my belief that micrometers are more accurate than vernier calipers, not as a tool but because of the leveraging that is imposed when closing down. Not much difference on a jacketed bullet or other hard material but on lead, where 95% of my measuring is done, it makes a difference.

While I play around a lot, I'm serious on my shooting of cast bullets and I need to know "exactly" what my bores and bullets measure at. In anything, if you eliminate human error, more perfect and consistent results will endure, saving time and aggravation.

BTW, I got a new mould the other day.....you guys want to see it? :D I took that baby to bed with me last night...locked a cable to the handle and my wrist. My wife told me I'm giving too much attention to that Hensley and Gibbs and she was gonna steal it while I am sleeping and throw it out back in a mud puddle. Italian women! If she only knew of the military ammo boxes I have that are full of moulds. :D

Thanks guys!-----6

OldWin
Advanced Levergunner

Post by OldWin »

I use calipers for COL when I'm setting up and stuff where a .001 is close enough.
I ALWAYS use a mic for bullets. Nothing will be closer. And I check it in more than one place when I measure it.
Marvin S
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Marvin S »

I work in a Air Force machine shop and have piles of measuring equipment. Everything is run through a PMEL lab for accuracy on a regular schedule. Any type of caliper with not match the accuracy of a good micrometer. But knowing that an instrument is accurate (through its range) is hard to say without regular scheduled testing. However chances are any quality brand of outside dia micrometer will be your best bet. Starrett makes a large thimble high accuracy model that may make a good choice. For home use on bullets I use a Mititoyu digital that also has a vernier scale. The vernier scale has resolution to .0001 and the digital to .00001
Sixgun
Posting leader...

Post by Sixgun »

OldWin wrote:I use calipers for COL when I'm setting up and stuff where a .001 is close enough.
I ALWAYS use a mic for bullets. Nothing will be closer. And I check it in more than one place when I measure it.
Thanks Jay! I forgot, your a machinist! Good Lord, I need you to move down and be my neighbor ole buddy! First, I have a barrel that needs to be rechambered, then an adjustable sight put on a first gen single action Colt, then you can rebuild the engine in "ole Yeller" my 89 YJ..then.....

Thanks bro....im currently hunting down "machinists supply businesses" in the area and it looks like I'm gonna have to order it online.....unless I feel like driving to Philly and in that case, I'd rather drill a 3/8" hole in my knee cap.----6

Sixgun
Posting leader...

Post by Sixgun »

Marvin S wrote:I work in a Air Force machine shop and have piles of measuring equipment. Everything is run through a PMEL lab for accuracy on a regular schedule. Any type of caliper with not match the accuracy of a good micrometer. But knowing that an instrument is accurate (through its range) is hard to say without regular scheduled testing. However chances are any quality brand of outside dia micrometer will be your best bet. Starrett makes a large thimble high accuracy model that may make a good choice. For home use on bullets I use a Mititoyu digital that also has a vernier scale. The vernier scale has resolution to .0001 and the digital to .00001

Thanks Marvin and guys.......we do have a very knowledgeable grup of guys here. Seems like everyone knows something to perfection.

Any rocket scientists here?? (other than me and Griff?

Mainehunter
Senior Levergunner

Post by Mainehunter »

OldWin wrote:I use calipers for COL when I'm setting up and stuff where a .001 is close enough.
+1

I like using the micrometers more than calipers for precision measurements but as of late having problem not seeing well until I picked up an overhead lamp/magnifier. Works like a charm! :)

Mainehunter
OldWin
Advanced Levergunner

Post by OldWin »

No problem bud. I'm actually too old, fat, and lazy for machining now. I actually work in inspection for the last couple years. Yeah.......I do some measuring. :D
I try to use what works, cause if a turbine blows up, they're gonna ask me some questions. :D

No problem. Put me up for a while, get a Bridgeport with an indexing head, and a good lathe with about 2" diameter pass-through, and we will make some cool stuff!
OldWin
Advanced Levergunner

Post by OldWin »

Mainehunter wrote:
+1

I like using the micrometers more than calipers for precision measurements but as of late having problem not seeing well until I picked up an overhead lamp/magnifier. Works like a charm! :)

Mainehunter
Yes MH. Those lighted magnifiers on a pole are our best friends. Wish I could still see!
soon 2 retire
Levergunner 2.0

Post by soon 2 retire »

I see digital 0-1" o.d. Mics by Mitutoyo for $136.00 at MSC. You may be able to find a better deal. I used the same ones at work today. They make excellent gages.

Bob in Friday Harbor, WA
Don't look back something might be gaining on you.
-Leroy "Satchel" Paige
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

And I check it in more than one place when I measure it.
That may be the most important part of all....not much stuff is truly round, truly square, truly flat, etc...

Those bullet moulds are probably all elliptical and oval in cross-section, and you really ought to just donate them to some other forum members who are ok with them being so messed up.... :D
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
Catshooter
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Catshooter »

Six,

That looks to me like a zero to half inch mic. If so, they're tiny! I can see why you want to upgrade.

I've bought all of my precision tools from Ebay. If you shop hard, you can get them way cheaper than new and in great shape.

Do you have a one inch measuring standard? They can be helpful too.

Every Starrett mic I've ever see was adjustable for zero. With clean jaws, if you set the zero you should be good to go.

I agree, use calipers to get close, a mic to really get the number.

Cat
M. M. Wright
Advanced Levergunner

Post by M. M. Wright »

One to nothing DIGITAL readout mic is what you want. Mitutoyo makes a good one but I have trouble buying Jap because I remember the war and ration stamps. And Mitsubishi brought us the Zero! If you drive one it seems to me like slapping the face of a greatest generation survivor.
M. M. Wright, Sheriff, Green county Arkansas (1860)
Currently living my eternal life.
NRA Life
SASS
ITSASS
Sixgun
Posting leader...

Post by Sixgun »

M. M. Wright wrote:One to nothing DIGITAL readout mic is what you want. Mitutoyo makes a good one but I have trouble buying Jap because I remember the war and ration stamps. And Mitsubishi brought us the Zero! If you drive one it seems to me like slapping the face of a greatest generation survivor.

Forget the mics for a moment.......Ya know something MM? I feel the same way. I realize that today's generation of Japs had nothing to do with it the same as today's generation of Germans are innocent but every time I think of those Japs using our soldiers for live bayonete practice, the Bataan death march, and the Jewish concentration camps I burn up.....and my mother was a German war bride.

I do my best not to buy foreign, especially Chinese but there are times when we have no choice, like my Kubota tractor. As for the micrometer, I'm set on a Starrett---thanks for the reply!.-----6