Polymer coated bullets in micro-groove barrels

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Larsen E. Whipsnade
Levergunner 1.0

Polymer coated bullets in micro-groove barrels

Post by Larsen E. Whipsnade »

Several years ago I set out to try to find a cast bullet load with a 400-405 gr. bullet for 3 .45-70's, 2 1886's and an older Marlin with the micro-groove rifling. I wanted one load that would give acceptable accuracy in all. Since I figured the Marlin would be the most problematic (and since it had a scope on it when I bought it), I started with that. I tried a half dozen different powders, but none seemed to be consistently better than 2.5 - 3 inches at 50 yds., so I never got around to trying them in the '86's. The bullets I was using were commercial cast, sized .458" (I don't cast - maybe some day.). I thought about trying some sized .459", but for reasons I no longer remember, I never followed through on it & moved on to other projects. I haven't hunted for many years, but since retiring to the boondocks, I'm ready to go after deer and maybe black bear again, & renewed my interest in the .45-70's. I was going to just load some jacketed bullets for starters, but found the 400 - 405 grainers either unobtainable or outrageously expensive. And looking at factory ammo gave me some serious sticker shock. So, I'm thinking about lead bullets again. I guess the poly coated bullets have been around awhile, but I just recently read about them & don't have any experience with them. I was thinking they might hold the rifling more like a jacketed bullet. I was wondering if any of you have tried them in a rifle with micro-groove rifling, and what kind of luck you had. Thanks in advance for any insight.
Merle
Levergunner 3.0

Re: Polymer coated bullets in micro-groove barrels

Post by Merle »

Larsen E. Whipsnade wrote:Several years ago I set out to try to find a cast bullet load with a 400-405 gr. bullet for 3 .45-70's, 2 1886's and an older Marlin with the micro-groove rifling. I wanted one load that would give acceptable accuracy in all. Since I figured the Marlin would be the most problematic (and since it had a scope on it when I bought it), I started with that. I tried a half dozen different powders, but none seemed to be consistently better than 2.5 - 3 inches at 50 yds., so I never got around to trying them in the '86's. The bullets I was using were commercial cast, sized .458" (I don't cast - maybe some day.). I thought about trying some sized .459", but for reasons I no longer remember, I never followed through on it & moved on to other projects. I haven't hunted for many years, but since retiring to the boondocks, I'm ready to go after deer and maybe black bear again, & renewed my interest in the .45-70's. I was going to just load some jacketed bullets for starters, but found the 400 - 405 grainers either unobtainable or outrageously expensive. And looking at factory ammo gave me some serious sticker shock. So, I'm thinking about lead bullets again. I guess the poly coated bullets have been around awhile, but I just recently read about them & don't have any experience with them. I was thinking they might hold the rifling more like a jacketed bullet. I was wondering if any of you have tried them in a rifle with micro-groove rifling, and what kind of luck you had. Thanks in advance for any insight.

Not every rifle will like every cast bullet design. Sometimes it takes a bit of trial & error to find a good match. :wink:
Merle from PA
Grizz
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Grizz »

I don't know about powder coated, but I can recommend Marshal Stanton's beartooth bullets without reservation. I shoot .460 hard cast gas checked bullets exclusively in my 45\70s now.

IMO .458 is way undersized for a lead bullet in 45\70s.

I also shoot BTBs in 44mag and 357mag with good results.

hope this helps. someone will be along with powder coated bullet info.
Les Staley
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Les Staley »

Mr Whipsnade, If you could wait till December I will cast and powder coat a few and size at .459 for you to try. I have a RCBS 405 RNFP and a couple other bullet designs. I'll dig them out and see what else I have. P M me and let me know.
This is plagiarized from someone else, but I love it!

I was born a gun owner.
It wasn't a choice.
I didn't become one later in life.
I was born this way.