Military brass

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Military brass

Post by GunnyMack »

Around the time of the last election I picked up a bunch of 7.62x51 brass. Thought I would have learned from the many 5.56 brass I got prior!

Come to find out that military 7.62 chambers are rather long, each case long by .020-.040".
Talk about labor! Took forever to trim all of these!
I started with a Hornady prep center- S L O W going, then bought a Redding file trim die. That was .005 longer then it should have been! Then I found the LITTLE CROW WFT( not wtf)! These are caliber specific trimmers but man does it work!

Honestly I can trim to OAL 100 cases in about 5 minutes with the WFT in drill press.

If you do large quantities or military stuff, worth the $! I got mine thru Brownells.
BROWN LABS MATTER !!
Sixgun
Posting leader...
Location: S.E. Pa. Where The Finest Winchesters & Colts Reside

Re: Military brass

Post by Sixgun »

Funny thing, I've never had that problem and I shoot a lot of .223, .308, and '06. In fact, I just did a batch of Lake City .223. The only thing I dislike is the crimped primers and after using a RCBS primer pocket swager......the kind that's a real PITA....that uses a press and you "strip" them off, I recently bought a RCBS swager that's a unit in itself...costs a c-note but well worth it.

As I can get all the military .223 brass I want for free, I just load it about 5 times, then chuck it in the scrap heap.

As for quantity trimming I use 2 trimmers...a regular Foster and the Foster that you use with a drill press. Yes, your right, you can knock out a lot with the drill press.

As I keep my loads a couple of grains under max, even my 308 and 06 brass does not grow much.----6
Yes, It’s Mighty, No Need To Prove It…..
OldWin
Advanced Levergunner

Post by OldWin »

My work is with the trimming, cause I just use an old Lyman case trimmer.
Swaging, however, is a breeze. I use the Dillon swager and it works great.
I prefer using military brass whenever I can.
"Oh bother", said Pooh, as he chambered another round.
Chuck 100 yd
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Chuck 100 yd »

I ran a thousand .223/5.56 cases a couple weeks ago. Bulk once fired from Dillon, There were about 1,100 cases in the bag of 1K plus a few 9mm,one .222 Rem and a couple .300 Blackout.
I use my RCBS Trim Pro driven by my Makita cordless.
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

Chuck 100 yd wrote:I use my RCBS Trim Pro driven by my Makita cordless.
+1. The Dillon primer pocket swager is near effortless... and is... when my son can be convinced to do it! Finishing up with the RCBS case prep center is a breeze! I mounted the pocket swager onto a piece of 4x4, which can then be mounted in the vice in the workshop, or squeezed in the WorkMate™ for working in front of the TV!
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
JB
Senior Levergunner

Post by JB »

My only problem with military brass is the smaller case capacity due to the thicker brass. I have a few 223 loads that pretty much fill up a commercial case, but won't quite fit into the military brass.
JOHNNY WACKO
Levergunner 3.0

Post by JOHNNY WACKO »

mite need to go to a hotter powder and use less to not over pressure the load by pressing the bullet against the load to tightly.and increase pressure #.
JOHNNY WACKO
http://mysite.verizon.net/vzevezzx/john ... dproducts/