Did Winchester drill, tap and install scope mounts on 94

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Rube Burrows
Advanced Levergunner

Did Winchester drill, tap and install scope mounts on 94

Post by Rube Burrows »

Have a guy with a Winchester for sale locally and he says that the side mount which is one that was drilled and taped and attached to the side of the receiver. He claims it was factory done.

Did they do that?

Best photo I have.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Re: Did Winchester drill, tap and install scope mounts on 94

Post by J Miller »

I'd say aftermarket.
Weaver, Williams and others made side mounts that utilized the factory drilled holes in the receiver.
In the case of this mount, it uses the lever to bolt pin screw hole and the side mount receiver sight base holes.

Joe
***Be sneaky, get closer, bust the cap on him when you can put the ball where it counts ;) .***
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

It looks like that particular mount uses the factory holes for the lever/bolt pin stop screw and the holes for the side mount receiver sights, like the Williams or Lyman, plus two added holes at the front of the receiver, that are NOT factory done.
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
Rube Burrows
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Rube Burrows »

Griff wrote:It looks like that particular mount uses the factory holes for the lever/bolt pin stop screw and the holes for the side mount receiver sights, like the Williams or Lyman, plus two added holes at the front of the receiver, that are NOT factory done.

That was my concern. If it had two extra holes drilled into the receiver.

Did Winchester drill and tap any of their receivers in the 1970s?

None of my 94s are factory drilled until the angle ejects.
Malamute
Member Emeritus

Post by Malamute »

I doubt the front two screws go through into the receiver, but I wouldn't buy it without taking the base off and finding out. The location of the front screw looks like one is right on the edge of the boss for the fore end. Seriously doubt those screws go through.

Looks like a typical "post-64" type mount using the 3 factory screw holes, the receiver sight ones, and the lever pivot pin plug screw.

I also don't believe Winchester added any scope mounts from the factory in the 70s. Nothing special about that gun, and if it has extra holes, the value is lower, not higher, if the seller thinks it adds value.
"Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs even though checkered by failure, than to rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy nor suffer much because they live in the gray twilight that knows neither victory nor defeat." -Theodore Roosevelt-

Isnt it amazing how many people post without reading the thread?
Pete44ru
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pete44ru »

+4 - The mount was added after it left the factory.

The receiver was unmolested, until those two forward screws were installed......... too bad, since, while it slightly raises the value for a shooter that needs a scope, the devaluation for the extra D/T'd holes (aka: Swiss cheese) trumps the slightly added value.

Although YMMV, I would be loathe to pay more than $350-$400 for it (although, other than the molestation, the rest of the rifle appears to be in good + condition).

It's a $500 rifle if the front 2 screws are into the base & not the receiver ring.

How much dinero is the seller asking for it ?

Last edited by Pete44ru on Sun Oct 30, 2016 4:44 pm, edited 2 times in total.
new pig hunter
Senior Levergunner

Post by new pig hunter »

I'll say Factory because I have that mount on my Win BigBore94 in .375Winchester. That is a Weaver scope base. All the drilled & tapped holes were already there to install the base, therefore, Factory.
http://www.midwayusa.com/product/157419 ... e-3c-gloss

With that said, who knows what Winchester did for any particular production year & specific model. But in this specific case, I will offer that the drilling & tapping was done at the factory.

Years ago when I scope'd my Winchester I seem to barely recall reading that many pre-'64 Model 94's were drilled & tapped for a side-mount setup since the rifles were top eject, but I can't be sure of that.
cshold
Advanced Levergunner

Post by cshold »

1961 model 94.
Williams side mount.
Existing factory holes.

Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

new pig hunter wrote:I'll say Factory because I have that mount on my Win BigBore94 in .375Winchester. That is a Weaver scope base. All the drilled & tapped holes were already there to install the base, therefore, Factory.
http://www.midwayusa.com/product/157419 ... e-3c-gloss

With that said, who knows what Winchester did for any particular production year & specific model. But in this specific case, I will offer that the drilling & tapping was done at the factory.

Years ago when I scope'd my Winchester I seem to barely recall reading that many pre-'64 Model 94's were drilled & tapped for a side-mount setup since the rifles were top eject, but I can't be sure of that.
Yes, that mount & the shown by Cshold are only using the 3 factory holes. However, the one in the OP is showing two screws up in the front of the receiver. Winchester did NOT drill there. USRA did, on the 94AE, drill & tap the TOP of the receiver over breech, and later 2 holes on each side of the receiver on top, to use a straddle scope mount.
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

AND... I'm over it!!
new pig hunter
Senior Levergunner

Post by new pig hunter »

Griff,

the only 2 screws I see up front are those securing the Scope Ring to the Base. If those are the ones you are referring to, they do not go through the Base and into the receiver.

Is there another style/manufacturer of a Base ?? I only the the Weaver style I have, and that picture of the Williams you posted (which is very clean & slick, I like it).
Rube Burrows
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Rube Burrows »

I talked to him again and he did finally confirm that the front two screws do not go into the receiver.
cshold
Advanced Levergunner

Post by cshold »

new pig hunter wrote:Griff,

the only 2 screws I see up front are those securing the Scope Ring to the Base. If those are the ones you are referring to, they do not go through the Base and into the receiver.

Is there another style/manufacturer of a Base ?? I only the the Weaver style I have, and that picture of the Williams you posted (which is very clean & slick, I like it).

http://ads.midwayusa.com/product/148233 ... oCR7jw_wcB

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/382671 ... ckage-of-2
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

The aftermath of some side mount scope mounts:

But, again, the two holes at the rear were to fit Lyman & Williams receiver sights, not necessarily scopes. The front hole is the for Lever/Bolt Pin stop. IIRC, the first 94s so tapped were around 1955... any prior to that have been non-factory drilled & tapped. (Unless someone shows me custom order receipt, that's my story & I'm stickin' to it! :lol: :lol:
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

AND... I'm over it!!
Sixgun
Posting leader...
Location: S.E. Pa. Where The Finest Winchesters & Colts Reside

Post by Sixgun »

Hey Griff.....my Madis book says your 94 is an extremely rare variation.....it's called the Swiss Cheese 94. :D -----6

Rube...Malamute said it exactly correct.
1st. Gen. Colt SAA’s, 1878 D.A.45 and a 38-55 Marlin TD

cshold
Advanced Levergunner

Post by cshold »