current NW Wx

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Grizz
Advanced Levergunner

current NW Wx

Post by Grizz »

probably don't need to inform anyone about this who is here, but maybe someone doesn't watch weather women.

the heavy rain, combined with the approaching heavy wind is the recipe for lots of trees down, lots of power outages.

it would be worthwhile to stock up on safe water, fuel up, get the staple food supply restocked, fresh batteries, etc.

there is street flooding that will eventually turn many streets into creeks, and the rivers may easily overflow their banks with this one. it becomes a public service to clear leaves from storm drains . . .
wx__2016-10-14.png
so far, just mainly rain on the west side of the sound, abt 3.5", with some wind overnight but no obvious problemos yet. sometimes we get the wind, and sometimes it goes around.

how are y'all doing with your weather?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Pete44ru
Advanced Levergunner

Re: current NW Wx

Post by Pete44ru »

We've got pretty much bluebird weather here in Southern new England (warm/upper 60's, clear/blue skies) - and the Fall foliage is starting to approach peak colors.

jdad
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jdad »

I'm in southern Washington county (OR). Gusty winds right now, not that bad. We're a couple hundred feet up, with an unobstructed southern view.

We have Hardiplank and most of our neighbors have vinyl. Each year someones vinyl roof trim gets blown off.

Saturday is suppossed to be the "storm of the decade". :shock:

No snow or ice, so it won't be that bad.
I know a whole lot about very little and nothing about a whole lot.
Bill in Oregon
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Bill in Oregon »

We have had 2.25 inches of rain here in Salem since Wednesday night. Tillamook on the coast has had 5.6. Winds reached the 90s on the coast, but only the low 30s here in town. Saturday is the main event, wind-wise and could potentially rival the great Columbus Day Storm of 1962, if some of you youngsters remember that bruiser. We were in Tacoma for that one, and this 9-year-old was very mightily impressed by the sound of old growth Doug firs crashing down.
We just had a "take cover" tornado warning for Pacific County in southwest Washington.
Grizz
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Grizz »

Bill in Oregon wrote:We have had 2.25 inches of rain here in Salem since Wednesday night. Tillamook on the coast has had 5.6. Winds reached the 90s on the coast, but only the low 30s here in town. Saturday is the main event, wind-wise and could potentially rival the great Columbus Day Storm of 1962, if some of you youngsters remember that bruiser. We were in Tacoma for that one, and this 9-year-old was very mightily impressed by the sound of old growth Doug firs crashing down.
We just had a "take cover" tornado warning for Pacific County in southwest Washington.

yeah it looks like OR is taking the brunt of the winds, the seas off WA coast are considerably lower than yours, so far.

I once set chokers in that massive blow-down. huge trees stacked like jackstraws. it looked like a downburst to me, trees flopped every which way, but it's been a while and my memory plays tricks sometimes.

falling trees, branches, and electrical wires all pose threats, besides the flooding. hope everyone is safe and avoids the news cycle.
jdad
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jdad »

Manzanita reported a tornado this morning.
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

Here in Spanaway (20 miles south of Tacoma) it's been real breezy. Steady rain. No localized problems that I can tell. So far, a non event.

(Grizz, I just looked at the RADAR....it's all north of me right now...you guys are getting hammered...be careful)
Last edited by Blaine on Fri Oct 14, 2016 12:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
jdad
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jdad »

Here's a link to the tornado damage. The warning is going as far North as Cannon Beach!

http://koin.com/2016/10/14/tornado-warn ... -counties/
GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Post by GunnyMack »

Being on the east coast, is that the remains of a cyclone( our hurricane?)

I'm not an old timer nor young of the year, worst storm I can remember was Sandy. Our power went out about 9 pm as the storm started getting bad, got the power back on 14 days and 14 hours later! My poor little generator was awful tired after that! Had multiple down bursts here, acres of 'old' growth oaks stacked like match sticks. Which is what knocked our power out, the oak that snapped 20' off the ground took another down root ball & all into the wires which snapped the pole w/ transformer. Of course it landed on my paved driveway leaving a nice oil stain! It stayed that way until a power crew from NC got to us! Those guys told me they haven't seen such an antiquated power grid!

One of the crew was a big deer hunter so I had to show him my collection of racks!

Batten down the hatches- good luck!
BROWN LABS MATTER !!
jeepnik
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jeepnik »

And the weather here is sunny, a few clouds, no rain, a slight breeze off the ocean, and temps in the mid 70's. Pretty much a normal day in SoCal.
Jeepnik AKA "Old Eyes"
"Go low, go slow and preferably in the dark" The old Sarge (he was maybe 24.
"Freedom is never more that a generation from extinction" Ronald Reagan
"Every man should have at least one good rifle and know how to use it" Dad
jcw
Levergunner 2.0

Post by jcw »

Up here in Skagit County we have had gusting winds. and intermitent rain. At times it sounded like a hose directed at the side of the house. Scattered power outages, and the usuale tree branches etc. They're saying that Saturday night about 8 P.M. is when we will really get hit. Had to shore up the neighbors fence wind tore up a section. We're all set for whatever happens. Gen-set checked out and power cords run.Fresh batteries in the flashlights. Cars and jeep gassed up. Novel way to start a week of vacation. Supposed to leave early Monday morning for the annual deer camping trip outside of Twisp, WA.
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

Stay dry, keep the galoshes warm!
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
Grizz
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Grizz »

notes for the boat minded

here's a tide table for seattle:

http://tides.mobilegeographics.com/locations/5706.html

it's noteable in our experience with weather that storms often peak on tide peaks and the turn from one to the other, sometimes to the minute. my wife and I have seen it happen this way many times, perhaps hundreds of times in aggregate.

second, notice that the highest tide of the series follows the full moon by a couple of days. something useful to know if you are beach logging your firewood on storm tides.

high wind warnings in effect for PNW through tonight again

here's a useful link for weather centered around seattle:

http://komonews.com/weather/maps

you can probably find a similar page in your local area

AND

probably the very best weather app on the planet

http://forecast.weather.gov/MapClick.ph ... =-122.3321

this is a very deep website, it covers all the marine and aviation specific weather in addition to the scary local stuff
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

Grizz wrote:notes for the boat minded

here's a tide table for seattle:

http://tides.mobilegeographics.com/locations/5706.html

it's noteable in our experience with weather that storms often peak on tide peaks and the turn from one to the other, sometimes to the minute. my wife and I have seen it happen this way many times, perhaps hundreds of times in aggregate.

second, notice that the highest tide of the series follows the full moon by a couple of days. something useful to know if you are beach logging your firewood on storm tides.

high wind warnings in effect for PNW through tonight again

here's a useful link for weather centered around seattle:

http://komonews.com/weather/maps

you can probably find a similar page in your local area

AND

probably the very best weather app on the planet

http://forecast.weather.gov/MapClick.ph ... =-122.3321

this is a very deep website, it covers all the marine and aviation specific weather in addition to the scary local stuff
The NOAA Site is by far the most reliable. Very accurate, and timely RADAR..... I can just about zero the map onto the roof of my house :)
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
jdad
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jdad »

Tree across the street exploded today around 1pm. A couple of blocks away at the top of the hill a spruce dropped across the roadway and crushed a car.

Not a lot of rain, but the wind was pretty strong.
Bill in Oregon
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Bill in Oregon »

We got gusts up to about 50. Still fairly breezy this morning with gusts in the 30s and more rain. If that storm had come ashore at Astoria per earlier computer models we would have been in a world of hurt.
Gunny, that storm was the remains of Typhoon Songda from Japan, which caught the jet and scooted across the Pacific.