Why do I do the things that I do...

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Camel73
Levergunner 2.0

Why do I do the things that I do...

Post by Camel73 »

Recently I was asked, "What exactly were you trying to do?"

Well, I must admit that it took me a few minutes to recover from my chain of thought. The why determined the what here.

My first and only experience with a gunsmith was mixed. Had a brand spanky new rem pump 572 bdl fieldmaster that was jammed. I also gave him my 94 cuz the lever wouldn't stay in place. Was also splitting necks with factory ammo. I think I also asked for some trigger work.

Got the little pump back in time for camping. 5 days in the bush with a broken extractor and 2000 .22 rounds. Ya, provoking for sure. I believe I still have that nail somewhere that I fashioned to remove about 1300 rounds...

I eventually sold that rifle, stupid me. If you're gonna be stupid ya gotta be tough- lol Rusty, now that's funny. Kind of made me wonder after years what had (or hadn't) been done to my 94. When I got it back all the problems were solved and it ran fine, but my mind had already made itself up.

That was the last time my shadow darkened the door of a gunsmith, and the forum creeping began.

Not long ago I picked up a Benji Titan .22 air rifle only to find out that the seal was toast from factory slamming the piston, and some little spring wasn't attached inside.. the guys over the counter said, "Oh ya, good to go!". .... ...,. Riiight.

It seems like I've spent most my life fixing other people's stuff in one way or another. Tired of it. Would rather just learn to do it myself and be done with it, knowing that it's up to the standard I expected in the first place.

Anyone else feel the same?
My first child - '94 30-30
jdad
Advanced Levergunner

Re: Why do I do the things that I do...

Post by jdad »

When in doubt.....Youtube is your friend. :D
I know a whole lot about very little and nothing about a whole lot.
Chuck 100 yd
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Chuck 100 yd »

Growing up a poor Iowa farm boy I had to learn to fix and make the things I wanted. You never know you can do it until you try.
Although I love working on guns, I have always avoided general gunsmithing because those shops tend to turn into junk yards,if you know what I mean. Set your standards high and learn how to say NO !
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

In a field where making a mistake in one out a thousand times is considered horrible malpractice, I find most of my day I'm dealing with bureaucratic entities that get it right maybe one in ten times... :roll: :evil:
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
Camel73
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Camel73 »

Ya, I guess that was pompous. Thanks, I needed that.. I don't want to bash gunsmiths, sorry guys. :oops:

I'm sure their frustration is worse, dealing with people like me. More gunsmiths have helped me over the years reading and watching vids on the internet than I even care to count. My bad.

Great, now all my rifles are going to fall apart..
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Post by J Miller »

My first gunsmith experience was a bust. I was about 14 or 15 and had just acquired a1909 vintage Win 94 SRC.

It had problems. First it pierced every primer when firing. Second the carrier wouldn't stay up to guide the cartridge into the chamber.

I took it to a gunsmith. Well he said he was a gunsmith. Weeks went by and I hadn't heard from him so I went back to his shop and got my rifle. All he had done to it was pull the stock off and stick it in a bucket of something to soak. He really didn't care if he worked on it or not.

When I got it home, I figured out how to take it apart. No internet or stupid YouTube back in 1966 so I just used my brain and figured it out.

Ended up replacing the firing pin, carrier spring, carrier screws, lever to bolt pin and a few other small screws.
Nothing that would have taken that "gunsmith" more than a couple hours if he had just done it.
Been soured against gunsmiths most of my life cos of him. I still do every thing myself if I can.

Joe
***Be sneaky, get closer, bust the cap on him when you can put the ball where it counts ;) .***
Rusty
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Rusty »

Most of the stuff I've ever needed could be taken care of by just switching parts. I don't know that I've ever needed the services of a real gunsmith. If I ever needed one I'm not sure where I could find one.
If you're gonna be stupid ya gotta be tough-
Isiah 55:8&9

It's easier to fool people than it is to convince them they have been fooled.
Sixgun
Posting leader...
Location: S.E. Pa. Where The Finest Winchesters & Colts Reside

Post by Sixgun »

My guess is that about 75% of all gun problems are easily fixable by a guy who has common sense and basic tools, skills, and intelligence.

Taking your time, being in a room with no distractions, and staying focused will get your gun fixed. You learn from your mistakes and especially learn when you NEED that gun for a hunt, whatever, have the gun in pieces.......you know....desperation.......you would be surprised what you can do when your brain really gets in gear......most of us stay in first gear during our lives.

A few years ago I had the transfer case from my old Jeep sitting on the bench....determined to replace the chain.......it came apart easily.....replaced the chain and then trouble started........there were all of these plates that had to be inserted on the main shaft at different locations. Well, I got my brain into 4th gear and now I can rip that baby apart anytime I want to.

With today's Internet, most parts are easily available.------6
Yes, It’s Mighty, No Need To Prove It…..
mikld
Advanced Levergunner

Post by mikld »

I grew up with a father that went through "The Great Depression" (and possibly the cheapest man on earth). I was taught that if one could save a nickel by doing something myself, rather than paying someone to do it, do it myself! If I didn't know much about what i needed to do, find out, research how it's done, then do it. Fast forward 55 years, my wife once told me "you don't have to do everything, you know. You have a very good paying job, we own our own home, have money in the bank, have a good retirement fund started, so you can take the car to Jiffy-Lube". It took a few minutes for that to sink in and I went to Jiffy-Lube. I felt "guilty" for paying someone to do something I could do (even though I wasn't thrilled about getting dirty and had to find a way to dispose of the old oil/filter), but that lasted for an hour and I took the wife out to lunch. I still do a lot around the house and shop, but I do it for pleasure, not because I have to or don't know how to. I do all my minor gunsmithing and enjoy doing so, and if the repair/modification is new to me, I'll find out how it's done...
Mike
Vocatus atque non vocatus, Deus aderit...
I've learned how to stand on my own two knees...
piller
Posting leader...

Post by piller »

I still change my own oil in my car. I would be surprised if most of the people on this forum didn't obtain satisfaction by fixing things for themselves. The feeling of taking care of a problem by yourself is usually a good feeling.
My Dad went through the great depression, too. The only thing that I remember him having anyone else work on was an antique pocket watch.
D. Brian Casady
Quid Llatine Dictum Sit, Altum Viditur.
Advanced is being able to do the basics while your leg is on fire---Bill Jeans
Don't ever take a fence down until you know why it was put up---Robert Frost
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

I'm not a mechanic. In the real old days when a fella could look under the hood and see real parts that were not all cluttered with a million wires, and hoses I could change out parts pretty good. I changed my own oil for a very long time.
Then I went to the Oil Change Places depending on who was running a sale. Then I started finding mistakes they were making.
So, the last several years, I've been letting the dealerships do my oil. It's generally reasonable priced, and they can find other things that are wearing out, or have broken. I admire the heck out of anybody that can still make heads and tails out of the modern, computerized vehicles....
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
Rusty
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Rusty »

I have 105K miles on my F-150 and haven't changed the oil on it yet. Back to the dealership every time. I'm just getting too old and broken to do that stuff any more.

I do have 2 rifles that need scopes and I will do that though. When I get a round tuit.
If you're gonna be stupid ya gotta be tough-
Isiah 55:8&9

It's easier to fool people than it is to convince them they have been fooled.
marlinman93
Advanced Levergunner

Post by marlinman93 »

Being on a budget all the time, if I didn't buy guns with problems, I probably would own half as many guns! So I had to learn to do most of my own repair and fabrication work on guns, or pass on any needing work. Wish I could be so picky or wealthy that the only old guns I bought were 100% perfect, but reality says that's not in the cards.
Pre WWI Marlins and Singleshot rifles!
http://members.tripod.com/~OregonArmsCollectors/
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

I loved working on my own cars, still do sometimes... but the Texas heat gets to me. The dealer in town knows me... my truck gets taken there, the wife's truck goes to the oil change place... but my two old hotrods wait for me to get a round tuit.

My truck, (diesel), costs $39 for it's annual inspection & oil change/lube at the dealer; the wife's truck, (gas), costs $109 for the same at the dealer, and 49.95 at the oil change place... (it gets the probe up the tailpipe). The two old hot rods (gas), cost about $30 each for their racing oil & filter, if I do it myself. And other than just letting the dealer LOOK at them, they never go there... in fact, they rarely go anywhere! One needs a new motor, the other is in parts.
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
Camel73
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Camel73 »

Ahh, the things that make us happy... I had a couple hot rods myself but soon found the expense was outweighing the enjoyment. That's when the shooting began :D

Marlin man, by the looks of your avitar you do one heck of a job too - that piece is crazy looking!