Length of Pull Questions

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
rwt
Levergunner

Length of Pull Questions

Post by rwt »

I have been looking for a Winchester or Browning 92 carbine. At this point, I am not a Rossi fan from an esthetics perspective.

I am only finding short rifles with the crescent butt plate. I don't even know if the Browning B-92 came in a carbine style.

My uninformed thinking has been that it will be far, far better to put a recoil pad on a carbine model. It seems that too much wood would need to be cut off a short rifle butt to eliminate the cutouts at the top and bottom for the wraparound butt plate. A really short butt stock would result and the addition of a one-inch pad would not compensate enough nearly enough to get a lengthened LOP. My LOP with my SXS shotguns is 14 1/2 to a single trigger.

I think the one-inch pad would be desirable in either 45 Colt or 44 Magnum to reduce felt recoil. A thicker pad or spacers would just not look right I'm guessing.

Should I just keep looking for a carbine model and forget about short rifles?
765x53
Senior Levergunner

Re: Length of Pull Questions

Post by 765x53 »

Since traditional appearance is not a consideration, consider a steel Henry.
It already comes with a recoil pad.
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

This recoil pad fit a 'carbine' stock [it was on a Rossi, but I think the shape/inletting is about the same as the Winchester] with minimal alteration (the inletting and curve of the buttstock were very close matches).

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/425407 ... bber-black

That might be the most streamlined approach.
Here's the shape comparison:

http://www.gunpartscorp.com/ad/1139230.htm

Of course there are various rubber slip-on ones, and leather lace-on ones out there as well...and they can be removed if you change your mind, and/or used on other guns.

http://www.kirkpatrickleather.com/acces ... t-cover-52

http://www.brownells.com/shooting-acces ... 25300.aspx

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/260547 ... ther-brown
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
rwt
Levergunner

Post by rwt »

Thank you.

Marlin 1894's are also a consideration.

Does anyone know if Browning ever produced the B-92 in a carbine?
missionary5155
Levergunner 3.0

Post by missionary5155 »

Greetings
Yes they did. There is a 44 mag for sale right now on GB. Ends in about 22 hours.
Not mine nor any sticks in that fire.
A sinner saved by FAITH in the Blood of Jesus Christ &teaching God´s Word in Peru. John 3:36
Tanker 71-74 NRA Life Ready to Defend the Constitution from enemies within and without.
Pete44ru
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pete44ru »

rwt wrote:
I have been looking for a Winchester or Browning 92 carbine. At this point, I am not a Rossi fan from an esthetics perspective.

I am only finding short rifles with the crescent butt plate. I don't even know if the Browning B-92 came in a carbine style.

FWIW, Browning never made the B-92 as a "Short Rifle", only as a 20" Carbine........ with a Carbine buttplate.

The "carbine" roll-top buttplate is flat, and feels nothing like a crescent BP under recoil - of which there isn't very much in ANY Browning B-92 chambering.

AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

Marlin 1894's are nice as well.

The other thought if you could be ok with a Rossi is their 454 Casull model. Has the recoil pad built-in, and you can always shoot less-than-hot loads in it (or 45 Colt cowboy loads for that matter).
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
claybob86
Senior Levergunner

Post by claybob86 »

missionary5155 wrote:Greetings
... nor any sticks in that fire.
:D Thanks! Never heard that one before. I've heard several expressions that mean the same thing, but never that one. 8)
Have you hugged your rifle today?