Got me a nice eight point today!

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
CraigC
Levergunner 2.0

Got me a nice eight point today!

Post by CraigC »

Nice little young eight point. Unfortunately it had been gutshot by a spineless poacher on my property. One shot through a front leg too. Best I can figure it was yesterday morning. I found it walking through the woods this afternoon about 150yds into the woods beyond the pasture, in the middle of the old logging road. Found another spot further in where one was dragged down off the ridge, then gutted and dragged on down towards the dry creekbed.

Any tips on dealing with poaching trespassers? I have a pretty good idea he's hunting the top of the ridge where several active game trails are within range. Right where I was gonna put my treestand.
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

Are you allowed to shot him? :evil:
kooz
Levergunner 2.0

Post by kooz »

I would give the Division of Wildlife a call. The officers that are assigned to your area should be all over that.
cnjarvis
Senior Levergunner

Post by cnjarvis »

Well, since you can't legally shoot the &*@%er (although it's what they deserve), the next best thing is giving your local game warden a call and giving them the details. I wonder if you could drive by their parking area and shoot a pic of the license plates.

I have no patience or respect for poachers.
RIHMFIRE
Advanced Levergunner

Post by RIHMFIRE »

First call the game warden...and show him the area...
Walk the property with him...
Then go get some signs and post your property...
Make sure you get a sign that states tresspassing with a firearm
is a felony....Place the sign on the property line where deer are
frequently seen and cross....But post the entire property line...
Then put the word out....
That tresspassers will be violated..and survivors will be prosecuted..
so to speak....HA HA
You might want to get a no flash trail camera.. and hide it around
that stand you were taking about on the ridge....once you have him
on film...he's toast...
gamekeeper
Spambot Zapper

Post by gamekeeper »

When I was a professional gamekeeper any vehicle which I thought belonged to poachers and I found parked near my estate had a tail light kicked in and the local police constable would give them a ticket for a defective vehicle. It was not always possible to pin a poaching charge on them.
Small beer perhaps but if it happened enough they got the message and moved on.

The local police used to pass on information about known poachers so we could spook em up good when they tried giving the wrong ID. I would even know the names of their girlfriends let alone them! :wink:
Whatever you do always give 100%........... unless you are donating blood.
txpete
Departed Friend

Post by txpete »

great idea brit!!!.
pete

psst a 18 ga wire from the coil to the gas tank would also work :D :D :D
DAV life member.
CraigC
Levergunner 2.0

Post by CraigC »

Interesting turn of event this evening. I'd just pulled up from showing my neighbor the pilfered noggin when a car pulled up. I recognized it from up the road. Younger guy told me about his son shooting his first buck (with a bow) this past weekend and hitting him a little too far back. He said he was on another property and that the buck came in this direction. Asked if I had seen him. The guy seemed honest and his story sounded good so I gave him the buck's head and told him about finding it yesterday. We talked and parted on good terms. I've never bowhunted so I have no idea what a broadhead wound looks like and the coyotes had chewed on it pretty good so I guess that explains why I thought it had been shot with a rifle. So at least we can close the case on the dead buck.

There is still the gutpile and drag marks I found on my property so I am going to call the game warden this week and put somebody on it. I can also put my game cam up on the ridge and try to get it on film. Maybe Saturday morning I'll drive around the back side where they've logged and see if there are any vehicles parked.

I like the idea of wiring the coil to the gas tank. :twisted: