Merits of a Levergun

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
kmittleman
Levergunner 2.0

Merits of a Levergun

Post by kmittleman »

I wanted to see what you all thought the merits of a levergun are. What are the pro's and what are the advantages they have over a bolt? I guess I'm mostly thinking in terms of hunting but whatever beyond that as well ( I deer hunt in woody / brushy terrain ).

-Kevin :)
Jaguarundi
Senior Levergunner

Post by Jaguarundi »

Can be operated for a repeat shot from the shoulder quicker than a bolt action.Excellent for realistic hunting ranges that 90% of eastern north american deer hunters kill at(average shots with'n 100 yards).With in those range limitations nothing is more quicker than opensights.Most centerfire Leverguns weigh between 5.5# to 7.5# without scope(unloaded) so nice to tote afield. :wink: :D
Last edited by Jaguarundi on Mon Apr 21, 2008 12:40 am, edited 1 time in total.
"Those who hammer their guns into plows will plow for those who do not."
Jaguarundi
Senior Levergunner

Post by Jaguarundi »

kmittleman,forgot to say welcome aboard :D !I forgot to add that many levergun designs are a better value monetary and manufacture wise(to the buyer) compared to what is being offered as bolt actions.You don't find much plastic and stamped metal involved in levergun construction. :lol: I also site the nostalgic feel of american tradition when handle a levergun especial one chambered in antique "obsolete" caliber that allot of Modern bolts don't do for me.As for hunting,for over a century a time proven game taker. :D
"Those who hammer their guns into plows will plow for those who do not."
Gryphon Black
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Gryphon Black »

And don't forget that you can take your levergun to the jest-fer-fun plinking range and have a lot more fun getting to know your rifle, which means you are more likely to know exactly how to aim it when the deer appears, and also be well familiar with the break of the trigger. That works in your favor for sometimes random conditions of a hunt.
Did I mention it was a lot of fun? :D

Gryphon
bang.
gamekeeper
Spambot Zapper

Post by gamekeeper »

Welcome to the camp fire.

I love Lever Guns for all the above reasons but if you want another advantage to owning leverguns how about this one.

You can pack a LOT more leverguns in your safe without all those bolt things sticking out! :wink: :lol:
Whatever you do always give 100%........... unless you are donating blood.
AndyM
Levergunner 3.0

Post by AndyM »

They are the best American invention ever!
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

All of the above. You can get a lever-action in cartridges, like the .45-70, which will take any game on this continent at a reasonable range. Unlike most bolt-actions, you can also get them in revolver/handgun calibers to compliment the handgun you are carrying (other than a .22 - plenty of bolt-action .22's).

There is a reason more deer have been taking with a .30-30 lever-action than any other rifle and cartridge. It simply works!

Then there is the cool factor!!! 8)

Welcome to the fire!!! :D
Noah Zark
Senior Levergunner

Post by Noah Zark »

Leverguns are fast-handling, have a comparatively high rate of fire (unless you are shooting against someone armed with an Enfield No1 MkIII or No4 Mk 1 or 2), reliable, sufficiently accurate out to 100-200 yds, comparatively inexpensive (if buying used) and are arguably the most "politically correct" type of rifle -- most non-shooters that I come across give me a "Cowboy gun, cool!!!" reaction.

I've found that the laws of handgun-UNfriendly states like NY and CT have no problem with out of staters carrying a cased rifle in the vehicle, and a lever in a pistol chambering like 38 Spl, 357 Mag, 44 Mag, or 45 Colt is a good substitute for a handgun if forced to travel through those states. I recently had to spend some time in Bridgeport, CT, a real garden spot. I was picking up some used equipment in a 26' rental box truck and some homies took an interest as I was fixin' to leave. I was behind the wheel and one homie peeked in the open passenger door, saw a 16" Winchester 357 Trapper propped against the seat behind the gearshift and spun around, grabbing one of the other homies on his way.

Noah
Might as well face it, you're addicted to guns . . .
Hobie

Post by Hobie »

Welcome!

It is a matter of personal preference.

I prefer a handy, compact, light (usually), easy to carry in the hand (due to receiver shape, balanced for quick snap shooting, easy operating, rifle chambered for cartridges adequate to the task but not reminiscent of tank rounds in size or muzzle blast. All my guns, of any action type, tend to this ideal.
Sincerely,

Hobie

"We are all travelers in the wilderness of this world, and the best that we find in our travels is an honest friend." Robert Louis Stevenson
WCF3030
Senior Levergunner

Post by WCF3030 »

I'm a equal opportunity rifle owner.
Having said that I choose a lever for the hunting I do most which is small game and deer in the cedar swamps, pine forest, river bottoms and hardwoods of Michigan.
I use the 30-30 for both with shots in the 35-50 yard distance.
Although I practice out to 200.
As most know the rifle is just the end tool, its the Woodsman and his ability to get close to the game and place that shot that makes the difference.

Enjoy the site.
Lots of knowledge here.
That which does not kill me has made a grave tactical error.

http://thewoodsman1.blogspot.com/
Pete44ru
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pete44ru »

Most leverguns are much more slimmer & lighter than boltguns - and can give about the same practical accuracy.

The operation of the lever doesn't twist the rifle away from the target as does the operation of a bolt rifle.

Besides, I think they fulfill the human need for greed - there are so many variations of leverfun out there, that we're driven to own a bunch of them.
Old Ironsights
Posting leader...

Post by Old Ironsights »

Beyond the above - the ONLY reason a levergun didn't become a standard Arm for the US military, was our propensity to lay in the mud while shooting.

That's harder to do with a lever than a Bolt/Semi, but that's the it (until the advent of spire-points)... :wink:
C2N14... because life is not energetic enough.
מנא, מנא, תקל, ופרסין Daniel 5:25-28... Got 7.62?
Not Depressed enough yet? Go read National Geographic, July 1976
Gott und Gewehr mit uns!
Whit Spurzon
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Whit Spurzon »

Ditto what everyone has said. For me it is simply a matter of preference. The accuracy advantage of a bolt gun is not apparent to me once I'm in the field. A handgun is easier to pack than a lever carbine but not much else is. The fun factor is higher - for me anyway. I like the aesthetics too.
bogus bill
Levergunner 3.0

Post by bogus bill »

My reasons are just like everybody elses so far. I have two more nobody mentioned yet. 1st, I like a visable hammer gun. It is the most natural and fastest thing going and unlike a push or button safety, you can see or feel all the time in what condition the gun is. More natural like breathing without thinking about it. 2nd, I just am a nistolgic type guy, and like carrying what my forefathers did.
t.r.
Levergunner 3.0

Post by t.r. »

I'm certain that I am affected by previous generations as well. Well finished walnut and smooth lever action have more appeal to me than current trend toward plastic stocked bolt action rifles.

30-30 is a cartridge that kills quite well simply because the bullets are designed to open up into a mushroom shape at moderate velocity. This moderate velocity is useful for straight line penetration through bones and muscles to reach vital chest organs. Performance is predictable.

Recoil is easy to master. Most of us shoot better with moderate recoil.

30-30 is a keeper!
TR
Fire Up the Grill - Hunting is NOT Catch & Release!
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

Welcome to the Forum!
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
ernest haycox
Levergunner

Post by ernest haycox »

welcome!I'm new here myself,good people here.I agree with all of the above.I'm not prejudiced against bolt actions,the old ones look good hanging above a fireplace, but when it comes to fun there is no comparison.When my wife goes shopping at WalMart I sometimes kill time in sporting goods:all bolt actions,can' tell one from another:about as thrilling as seeing Hillary at a lingerie party-boring.Also I dislike the unfounded prejudices boltaction people have towards leveractions:I hate to think with the mob.Just my thoughts...
jazman
Levergunner 3.0

Post by jazman »

I don't hunt but shoot thousands and thousands of rounds a year just plinking or target shooting, and for those the lever is way more practical and way more fun. I like my .357 Trapper the best, 16 inch barrel makes it so easy to handle in woods and brush...and did I mention how fun they are?
"If you're gonna be a bear, be a grizzly"
piller
Posting leader...

Post by piller »

I like the fact that leverguns can be had in calibers to exactly match your pistol so that only one type of ammunition is needed. Simplicity at its best. I also like the fact that a .22lr levergun feels and shoots almost exactly like a larger caliber at 25 to 50 yards without much noise and cheap ammo. There are a few bolt guns in .22lr which match the larger caliber ones, but not nearly as many or as easily purchased as the leverguns. Is that a big bonus for practice time or what?
D. Brian Casady
Quid Llatine Dictum Sit, Altum Viditur.
Advanced is being able to do the basics while your leg is on fire---Bill Jeans
Don't ever take a fence down until you know why it was put up---Robert Frost
Chuck 100 yd
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Chuck 100 yd »

Welcome!! :wink:
Longfin
Levergunner 1.0

Post by Longfin »

And a lever gun is ambidextrous. As a lefty, that is important to me. Plus all the reasons given above. The only bolt guns that have anywhere near the "I just enjoy touching it feel" of a lever gun is a historical military rifle such as a Springfield or a SMLE; complete with bayonet, of course.
Zack
Old Ironsights
Posting leader...

Post by Old Ironsights »

Longfin wrote:And a lever gun is ambidextrous. As a lefty, that is important to me. Plus all the reasons given above. The only bolt guns that have anywhere near the "I just enjoy touching it feel" of a lever gun is a historical military rifle such as a Springfield or a SMLE; complete with bayonet, of course.
A Marlin is Ambidextrious? :wink:
C2N14... because life is not energetic enough.
מנא, מנא, תקל, ופרסין Daniel 5:25-28... Got 7.62?
Not Depressed enough yet? Go read National Geographic, July 1976
Gott und Gewehr mit uns!
Batmann
Levergunner

Post by Batmann »

WELCOME!
Not to clutter, but all of the above are reasons to own your very own lever gun. They are just plain fun!
20cows
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 20cows »

This is not the least of the reasons I like levers!