Things that make you go Hmmm

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
jeepnik
Advanced Levergunner

Things that make you go Hmmm

Post by jeepnik »

My 2014 Tundra just crossed over 75000. I just got an email from Toyota congratulating me and offering service.

Now the only thing I've been to Toyota for were a couple of recall items, and that was a while back. So, how does Toyota know I just crossed over 75000?

To the best of my knowledge there isn't any sort of signal being sent out unless it is using my cell when it attached to the vehicle via blue tooth. If this is the way it's happening shouldn't Toyota notify the vehicle owner that they are monitoring the vehicle and using the customers cell data to do so? And they should tell us how to disable it!
Jeepnik AKA "Old Eyes"
"Go low, go slow and preferably in the dark" The old Sarge (he was maybe 24.
"Freedom is never more that a generation from extinction" Ronald Reagan
"Every man should have at least one good rifle and know how to use it" Dad
jeepnik
Advanced Levergunner

Re: Things that make you go Hmmm

Post by jeepnik »

Mystery solved direct from Toyota.

When you buy or lease a new vehicle, unless you opt out, they collect the data. Apparently there is some sort of transmitter in the vehicle somewhere. Interesting that they do it unless you tell them not to, and they don't tell you that you can opt out when you buy or lease. I think I'll contact them Monday as see what they have to say. And "opt" out.
Jeepnik AKA "Old Eyes"
crs
Advanced Levergunner

Post by crs »

My 2015 Tahoe gives me a monthly email about the status of my car.
Mixed emotions about someone always knowing where car is and has been, how fast, etc.
CRS, NRA Benefactor Member, TSRA, DRSS, DWWC, Whittington Center
Android Ballistics App at http://www.xplat.net/
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

The government supposedly was going to require some sort of 'chip' in all new-production automobiles that would allow some sorts of 'monitoring' (for our own good), and I don't know if this relates.

I could see the auto makers passing it off as a 'maintenance' plus, and using it for public relations and marketing and statistical data gathering for their own benefit, rather than admitting they caved to political pressure.

I like my 1983 Chevy Truck... :D
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

crs wrote:My 2015 Tahoe gives me a monthly email about the status of my car.
Mixed emotions about someone always knowing where car is and has been, how fast, etc.
Part of the "On-Star" system... I cancelled it after about 5 years.
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

They do not seem to have a clue about my Jeep.
In the High Desert of Southern Calif. ..."on the cutting edge of going back in time"...

3leggedturtle
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 3leggedturtle »

That's cuz yer pics of gorgeous women threw the computer geeks off!
30/30 Winchester: Not accurate enough fer varmints, barely adequate for small deer; BUT In a 10" to 14" barrelled pistol; is good for moose/elk to 200 yards; ground squirrels to 300 metres

250 Savage... its what the 223 wishes it could be...!
horsesoldier03
Advanced Levergunner

Post by horsesoldier03 »

Pretty sure all vehicles 2009 and newer now have a black box type tracker other than OnStar. It does get OLD getting those messages trying to sell you a service.
“Gun control is like trying to reduce drunk driving by making it tougher for sober people to own cars.”
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

Pretty soon, states will tax you based on how many miles you drive. The black box will tell them.
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
Rusty
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Rusty »

BlaineG wrote:Pretty soon, states will tax you based on how many miles you drive. The black box will tell them.

I've hear of this scheme before.
If you're gonna be stupid ya gotta be tough-
Isiah 55:8&9

It's easier to fool people than it is to convince them they have been fooled.
RIHMFIRE
Advanced Levergunner

Post by RIHMFIRE »

if true,......never mind that they may know where you are...or how many miles you have driven...
if they can get info out....they can put info in.....and screw up your vehicle...so you need service.....
LETS GO SHOOT'N BOYS
RIHMFIRE
Advanced Levergunner

Post by RIHMFIRE »

if true,......never mind that they may know where you are...or how many miles you have driven...
if they can get info out....they can put info in.....and screw up your vehicle...so you need service.....
LETS GO SHOOT'N BOYS
sore shoulder
Advanced Levergunner

Post by sore shoulder »

Be aware, even if you cancel on star, and probably any of the other tracking systems, it still tracks you. If you don't want to be tracked, buy something older, and definitely without onstar.
"He has erected a multitude of New Offices, and sent hither swarms of Officers to harass our people and eat out their substance." Declaration of Independance, July 4, 1776
11B30
Pete44ru
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pete44ru »

Welcome to the NSA - Our customer service pledge: You talk, We listen. ;)

:mrgreen:

JohndeFresno
Advanced Levergunner

Post by JohndeFresno »

sore shoulder wrote:Be aware, even if you cancel on star, and probably any of the other tracking systems, it still tracks you. If you don't want to be tracked, buy something older, and definitely without onstar.
.45colt
Advanced Levergunner

Post by .45colt »

"Old Savage wrote"...."They do not seem to have a clue about my Jeep".....I hope You have better luck than I did with Jeep. even under warranty Jeep didn't have a clue................................... :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:
Malamute
Member Emeritus

Post by Malamute »

sore shoulder wrote:Be aware, even if you cancel on star, and probably any of the other tracking systems, it still tracks you. If you don't want to be tracked, buy something older, and definitely without onstar.
I recall reading that OnStar was used as a law enforcement tool. They could have the OnStar turned on and listen to everything said in a vehicle. Needs a warrant of course, just a bit weird knowing that they can do that. I think its theoretically possible with many new TVs also. We also know that hackers have turned on the audio and webcam video of peoples computers and had a live window into their life. I put a piece of tape over the camera and mic of my computers. You may not use it or know about it, but most newer computers have built in webcam or Skype capability.
"Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs even though checkered by failure, than to rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy nor suffer much because they live in the gray twilight that knows neither victory nor defeat." -Theodore Roosevelt-

Isnt it amazing how many people post without reading the thread?
sore shoulder
Advanced Levergunner

Post by sore shoulder »

If your tv has audio commands, it can turn on at any time. Samsung recently got a bit of publicity for this. They were/are using a 3rd party to store audio. This is true of a lot of devices including phones.
"He has erected a multitude of New Offices, and sent hither swarms of Officers to harass our people and eat out their substance." Declaration of Independance, July 4, 1776
11B30
Malamute
Member Emeritus

Post by Malamute »

Yes, phones. I forgot about phones. They can also be turned on remotely and used as a listening device, and most will also be tracking you constantly, or at least be able to give a general location by triangulation if they really are interested in where you are and you have tracking turned off except for 911.

So, worrying about the OnStar or whatever your vehicle does or sends for info to the manufacturer is only one small piece of the puzzle.

Funny thing is, in the science fiction stories of the past, it was predicted this would happen. No matter the supposed outrage at the intrusion, now we all PAY to carry around little tracking and listening devices, and have them in many of our daily use items like vehicles, computers etc.
"Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs even though checkered by failure, than to rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy nor suffer much because they live in the gray twilight that knows neither victory nor defeat." -Theodore Roosevelt-

Isnt it amazing how many people post without reading the thread?
JohndeFresno
Advanced Levergunner

Post by JohndeFresno »

No problem with the OnStar thing -

Just take the battery out of your car.
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

I have no expectation of privacy anymore....It bothers me, but I don't let it get to me, either. Yeah, I have tape over the camera on the I-Mac, and the mic turned off.

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
DAV
sore shoulder
Advanced Levergunner

Post by sore shoulder »

BlaineG wrote:I have no expectation of privacy anymore....It bothers me, but I don't let it get to me, either. Yeah, I have tape over the camera on the I-Mac, and the mic turned off.
Yep. Exactly. I get a kick out of people talking about how they are trying to keep a low profile off the grid. And they are on the internet talking about it. :lol:
11B30
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

sore shoulder wrote:
BlaineG wrote:I have no expectation of privacy anymore....It bothers me, but I don't let it get to me, either. Yeah, I have tape over the camera on the I-Mac, and the mic turned off.
Yep. Exactly. I get a kick out of people talking about how they are trying to keep a low profile off the grid. And they are on the internet talking about it. :lol:
I had a Secret Clearance in the Army....I don't suspect I've ever been off the RADAR.....

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
DAV
jeepnik
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jeepnik »

BlaineG wrote:
sore shoulder wrote:
I had a Secret Clearance in the Army....I don't suspect I've ever been off the RADAR.....
Always wondered about that. I wonder if after a certain time, depending on what clearance you had and what material you were exposed to, they just forget about you.

Because of "potential" exposure to stuff on aircraft and such I had a top secret. To the best of my knowledge I never saw, read or heard anything that would fit that need. Then again, being just a guy in a silver suit I wouldn't have known if it were.
Jeepnik AKA "Old Eyes"
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

:) As long as I'm being paranoid....Remember all those mandatory flu shots? They usually combined them with a deployment drill, and you carried your 201, and Medical Records thru the whole drill.
After the shots, we noticed that there were about four different kinds of new stamps on the records jacket. I always wondered what they were testing on us. Clearly, the shot I got was for enhancing intelligence, and good looks. 8) 8)

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
DAV
jeepnik
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jeepnik »

BlaineG wrote::) As long as I'm being paranoid....Remember all those mandatory flu shots? They usually combined them with a deployment drill, and you carried your 201, and Medical Records thru the whole drill.
After the shots, we noticed that there were about four different kinds of new stamps on the records jacket. I always wondered what they were testing on us. Clearly, the shot I got was for enhancing intelligence, and good looks. 8) 8)
Still got mine somewhere, probably with my 214. Now I'm gong to have to go look at what I got. But I suspect you are correct. I am the most handsome and smartest devil any woman has ever seen. :mrgreen:
Jeepnik AKA "Old Eyes"
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

BlaineG wrote::) As long as I'm being paranoid....Remember all those mandatory flu shots? They usually combined them with a deployment drill, and you carried your 201, and Medical Records thru the whole drill.
Don't feel bad, none of the other experimental shots worked either.... :D
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

AJMD429 wrote:
Don't feel bad, none of the other experimental shots worked either.... :D
:lol: :lol: :lol: Bite me..... :lol: :lol: :lol:

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
DAV
claybob86
Senior Levergunner

Post by claybob86 »

AJMD429 wrote: Don't feel bad, none of the other experimental shots worked either.... :D
WooHoo! So I'm just naturally good lookin' and smart? :P
Have you hugged your rifle today?
stretch
Advanced Levergunner

Post by stretch »

Geez - I'm even more of a Luddite and a dinosaur than I thought!

TV is at least 15 years old, and no longer connected to cable or antenna.
(I do have NetFlix, though.)

PC is 5 or 6 years old anyway, and tape is over the camera. (Tape over the
PC camera at work, too! :D )

Newest car is 2004. No bluetooth. (I gotta admit, though - electronic fuel
injection/engine management on my Rocket III is a beautiful thing! 8 If
they ever monitor THAT, I'm afraid that my license will be in grave peril! :lol: )

No cell phone.

No ATM/Debit card. (Never even used one..... :shock:) My sister says that
next time I'm out visiting, we'll stop by an ATM and she'll let me push the buttons!
(The excitement never ends, baby...... :roll: )

I never, ever allow automagic deductions from my bank account. I also don't
write checks at places that want access to my bank account.

No Twitter, Facebook, or other social media.

I buy very little online.

ALWAYS pay cash for gas and groceries.

I rarely use credit cards, and believe it or not, I've STILL had credit cards compromised!

Don't know if I'm on a "No-Fly" list, 'cuz I don't fly commercial any more. :D

'Course I'm on here, and I buy a gun now and again, so I'm on a list or two
somewhere or other.

-Stretch