Need Wyoming Hunting Info

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
jkbrea
Senior Levergunner

Need Wyoming Hunting Info

Post by jkbrea »

This is the first time in 25 years I didn't draw either a general elk tag or leftover cow tag. I've always hunted unit 85 or 84 and a couple nearby ones around Jackson. Everything is sold out but there are cow tags for unit 95. Have any of you ever hunted there. Its north of Pinedale and S/W of Dubois. I called G&F. The lower portion requires a guide for non-res but the upper half which is north of Green Lakes is all public. She did say full price for a cow tag and bears were a deterrent to some hunters. Any info from someone who knows the area would be greatly appreciated. Also, what is the nearest town....Dubois?
Les Staley
Levergunner 3.0

Re: Need Wyoming Hunting Info

Post by Les Staley »

Jim, if the area includes Green River Lakes, I know a couple spots. One would require horses to be effective. (Mill Creel Canyon on the West side of Osborne). The lower canyon has elk, but I was looking waaaay down on em while sheep hunting. . The road to Duboise over Union Pass gives access too. Killed a couple elk up Tosi Creek several years ago, but horses needed there. A long pack on foot. PM me and I'll pick my memory, or what's left of it. Access is out of Pinedale, North thru Cora and up the Green River Valley. Road goes north and then circles back east and then south to Green River lake.
This is plagiarized from someone else, but I love it!

I was born a gun owner.
It wasn't a choice.
I didn't become one later in life.
I was born this way.
jkbrea
Senior Levergunner

Post by jkbrea »

Thanks Les. Not sure if it includes Green River Lakes or is north of it. I'll PM when I find out. The woman I spoke to said ATV are allowed on lots of trails. I usually park and go in on foot a few miles. G&F were very helpful and gave me a number to the game warden to get some info on the area.
jnyork
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jnyork »

Any time you are in that upper country the possibility of a Grizzly encounter exists. Not an everyday occurance but still a possibility. Be aware, go prepared. Carry heavy-duty bear spray and know how to use it and be able to access it instantly.
jkbrea
Senior Levergunner

Post by jkbrea »

jnyork wrote:Any time you are in that upper country the possibility of a Grizzly encounter exists. Not an everyday occurance but still a possibility. Be aware, go prepared. Carry heavy-duty bear spray and know how to use it and be able to access it instantly.
In the 25 years of hunting Wyoming, I've only had two bear encounters which were black bears and not much of an encounter. I've seen more wolves than bears. Seen wolves every hunt in the past 5 years and it seems grizzlies are coming further south out of the park. I never felt the need for bear spray but after talking to wardens it does make them stop better than a non-lethal hit. At least it would probably slow em enough to get a clean shot if needed. One warden told me the one shortcoming on bear spray is users frequently spray themselves because of wind conditions or panic. He said he gives his kids those small airhorns while they play outside. He said he's used them and they work pretty well. Of course a follow up with a firearm would too.

I'll have bear spray and a 45-70 + a .44 mag sidearm. I think a slower hunting partner would work best, but those are getting harder to find every year. :lol:
jnyork
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jnyork »

jkbrea wrote:
jnyork wrote:
. I think a slower hunting partner would work best, but those are getting harder to find every year. :lol:
:lol: :lol: :lol:
Leverluver
Senior Levergunner

Post by Leverluver »

The bear recovery has been very successful to the point they are an annoyance again in some areas. I know a lot of folks have given up on the Sunlight basin (NW of Cody) due to the bears being trained that a rifle shot is a dinner bell. I used to (30-40 years ago) hike the Wind Rivers and was never concerned with bears but now I'd treat it like Alaska. I have driven Union pass many times but there are many places to camp and it may look like an invasion during hunting season but it is one of the few ways to access that area by vehicle.