Old Marlin disassembly tips

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
shiloh505
Levergunner 1.0

Old Marlin disassembly tips

Post by shiloh505 »

I've purchased a 100 yr old Marlin model 94 with a 20" barrel in .44-40. I'd like to completely disassemble and clean it. I've looked on youtube for a video and all I see are modern Marlins. Can anyone recommend a video or other tips on disassembly and reassembly? Thank You
marlinman93
Advanced Levergunner

Re: Old Marlin disassembly tips

Post by marlinman93 »

They pretty much disassemble like a new Marlin 1894, except for the flat mainspring. Once I remove the buttstock, I push down on the mainspring, and push it to the left, so the tension is relieved. Sometimes the mainspring screw might be too tight, so may have to go in at an angle to back it off slightly first. After that, it's identical to any other Marlin lever action 1894, 1893, 1895, etc...
Pre WWI Marlins and Singleshot rifles!
http://members.tripod.com/~OregonArmsCollectors/
Pete44ru
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pete44ru »

+1

Yep - Marlin levergun's haven't changed much (basic design wise) over the past 120-odd years.

AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

If you're new to this kind of thing, be sure to have screwdrivers that fit perfectly and some thread loosening lubricant handy. The metal is soft and a poorly fitting screwdriver will ruin a screw quickly.

At least most of the parts are actually interchangeable with the modern version comma so if you miss a screw up, you can likely replace it.
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
Sixgun
Posting leader...
Location: S.E. Pa. Where The Finest Winchesters & Colts Reside

Post by Sixgun »

AJMD429 wrote:If you're new to this kind of thing, be sure to have screwdrivers that fit perfectly and some thread loosening lubricant handy. The metal is soft and a poorly fitting screwdriver will ruin a screw quickly.

At least most of the parts are actually interchangeable with the modern version comma so if you miss a screw up, you can likely replace it.

Good point from Doc. I may add that because it sounds like you are new to this sort of work, if you don't have the proper screwdrivers, either buy them or any regular screwdriver can be easily ground .......by a fine grinding wheel or a file......go real slow and don't heat up the metal to where the color turns blue or purple....that will take out the temper and you will have a mushy screwdriver.

Look at pictures from the Internet to see how gun screwdriver tips are different from regular ones.-----6
1st. Gen. Colt SAA’s, 1878 D.A.45 and a 38-55 Marlin TD

shiloh505
Levergunner 1.0

Post by shiloh505 »

Thank you gentleman. I've disassembled and cleaned Winchester 73's, 92's and 94's but this is my first Marlin. I have a set of hollow ground screw drivers and I'll look at what's available on Youtube since the basic design hasn't changed. Thanks again for your help.
buckeyeshooter
Senior Levergunner

Post by buckeyeshooter »

If you have done a Winchester 92, this will be cake! :shock:
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

buckeyeshooter wrote:If you have done a Winchester 92, this will be cake! :shock:
Yep.

The Marlin 1894 is kinda made of just a few big 'tractor parts', compared to the Winchester 1892's lots of itty-bitty parts. The Marlin reminds me of a 1911 pistol; simple, and durable.
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
cshold
Advanced Levergunner

Post by cshold »

My favorite no frustration take it apart.
Marlin 1893.

marlinman93
Advanced Levergunner

Post by marlinman93 »

The Marlin lever actions are so much simpler that you'll be amazed at how few parts are involved in them! I used to collect 1894 Winchesters, and got an 1893 Marlin takedown in a trade deal. Once I took it apart to see if it was OK inside, I quickly found a very simple action. I immediately sold off my small collection of 1894 Winchesters, and replaced them with 1893 and 1894 Marlins. Then the whole thing got out of control! (in a good way!)
Pre WWI Marlins and Singleshot rifles!
http://members.tripod.com/~OregonArmsCollectors/