Winchester 94 mag capacity

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Carlsen Highway
Levergunner 2.0

Winchester 94 mag capacity

Post by Carlsen Highway »

I can fit and feed seven rounds from the mag of my 1978 Winchester 94 carbine in 30-30 with no issue or difficulty. Making a total of 8 rounds carrying capacity, 7 + 1 up. The other two 94's I had ( a pre'64 and another '70's vintage) could only hold six down, which is what I always thought was correct for the standard carbine.
How common is this?
A person who carries a cat home by the tail, will receive information that will always be useful to them.
Mark Twain
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Re: Winchester 94 mag capacity

Post by J Miller »

Of the 15 or so Win 94s in 30-30 I've had I think only one of them would take 7 in the magazine. The rest 6. I'd bet 7 is from a compressed or shortened mag spring.

Joe
***Be sneaky, get closer, bust the cap on him when you can put the ball where it counts ;) .***
Pete44ru
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pete44ru »

I've seen multiple gents complaining that their levergun's magazines were too hard to load easily, and then have subsequently cut some coils from their magazine spring, which allows (besides a tad easier loading) more space in the magazine tube.

Booger Bill
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Booger Bill »

I think my 1956 94 30/30 holds 6. I haven't often bothered to load that many. Years ago when I was a kid in Wisconsin I recall seeing quite a percentage of 94`s with the mag tube cut back for weight and speed of handling to hold about three. That`s all you need 99.9 % of the time unless it`s red dawn.
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

My 1979 carbine holds 7 150 grainers. My 2 Trappers (16" bbl), hold 5. My '73, '50, '23, & '13 year mdls. also hold 6 150 grainers. I have a '29 mdl year that holds 7. My ¾mag rifles only hold 5. 26" fl mag rifles hold 9 or 10, although they're only advertised to hold 8. Catalogs I have show 6 as mag capacity for 20" carbines across the years.

It's a matter of compressed mag spring length + follower + mag plug. Also, I've found some factory mag springs where one end of the spring is of a smaller diameter and allows the spring to compress to a shorter length... or maybe to fit inside the follower. All you need is about 3-3-½" longer than the tube. Flat nose vs round nose ammo can also affect capacity. 7 170 grain FN cartridges loaded w/an OAL of 2.540" take up 17.78", so depending on how long the stack of mag plug, compressed spring & follower is determines whether the rim of that seventh cartridge can slip past the spring cover and onto the carrier.
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
Carlsen Highway
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Carlsen Highway »

I just never knew you might get more than six, so I was surprised. I thought I had miscounted at first.
Oh well. The rifle is probably unfired, although old stock, and I am reasonably sure it has has not been tampered with. I am the first person to make a mark on the loading gate.
It is not a weak spring, and not ridiculously stiff either, just feels like its strong and 'normal'.
Very good.
A person who carries a cat home by the tail, will receive information that will always be useful to them.
Mark Twain
Dave B
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Dave B »

An XTR in 7x30 Waters with a 24" barrel will hold 8 in the tube. (Federal factory loads)

Dave B