No More Drift Boat

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Blaine
Posting leader...

No More Drift Boat

Post by Blaine »

I sure enjoyed rowing that little guy, but my shoulders are toast, and no one seems to want to go. It went to a real nice couple that live right on the Upper Yakima in Cle Elum. Sez he can slide it right off his lawn into the river. How great is that? For me it was a nearly 200 mile round to put into the Cowlitz, and besides the tribes, and F&W have got the thing so screwed up, the fishing is terrible. I'm not sure they are even going to have a salmon/steelhead fishery this year.

Anyway, I still have a almost new Nissan 4 stroke 6 hp that will go nicely on a 12 foot Livingston.

That guy was the happiest guy alive when he pulled out with that drifter behind his camper. 8) 8)
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
gamekeeper
Spambot Zapper

Re: No More Drift Boat

Post by gamekeeper »

Sounds like that couple will have a lot of fun with it... :D
Whatever you do always give 100%........... unless you are donating blood.
Chuck 100 yd
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Chuck 100 yd »

I used to drift the Kalama and Lewis rivers for Steelhead and jack Salmon. The overpopulation of fishermen and over regulation has ruined it for me.
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

Chuck 100 yd wrote:I used to drift the Kalama and Lewis rivers for Steelhead and jack Salmon. The overpopulation of fishermen and over regulation has ruined it for me.
There are lots of lakes within a short drive of my place with good bass, perch, crappie, etc. I will not combat fish a river for a dang salmon, or steelhead anymore.

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
DAV
Larkbill
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Larkbill »

You guys are giving me some perspective, have always been jealous of you westerners for the fishing. After two awesome weekends of white bass running in the creeks around Lake of the Ozarks I vow to be happier about my own circumstances.
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

Larkbill wrote:You guys are giving me some perspective, have always been jealous of you westerners for the fishing. After two awesome weekends of white bass running in the creeks around Lake of the Ozarks I vow to be happier about my own circumstances.
90% of river fishing, for me anyway, is time on the river. I miss those huge cats in the midwest.

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
DAV
Batman1939
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Batman1939 »

Blaine, I've been trying to decide what to do about my Hyde drift boat. I only took it out a couple of times last year even though there are several fishing access sites near my place on the Missouri River just downstream of Craig, MT. Fishing can be excellent on this stretch of the river and I often do quite well just wade fishing in front of my home. Trouble is--with my unsteady legs it is not so much fun anymore, even though the river is very wade friendly in most places when water levels are reasonable. You hit the nail on the head when you say it's all about being on the river---rather than just fishing. Just celebrated the 77th birthday so I really need to be sure to take advantage of all that life has to offer.

I'm sure the buyer of your boat will really enjoy the time he spends in it !!

Gary
Larkbill
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Larkbill »

"90% of river fishing, for me anyway, is time on the river. I miss those huge cats in the midwest."

Yup. Our version is floating the Meramec for smallies. My bro-in-law has been hunting a state record flathead for several years now, his biggest came out of the Missouri at 74 lbs.

Post by TraderVic »

It's a sad story indeed to read about your fishery issues out there in the NW.

I grew up on the Mississippi River and love river fishing big time. I mainly fish the Lower Chippewa River here in Western Wisconsin, but still get down to the Mississippi and also get onto the Lower Red Cedar and occasionally the Black River.

Several years ago my wife and I put together our "retirement rig", which is an Alweld 1752 jon boat with a Minn Kota trolling motor on the bow and a 35 hp air cooled Go-Devil Surface Drive motor.

If the boat floats - I can run. Lots more privacy and good fishing on the shallow rivers than where everyone else can run. I'd post a pic or two, but am still technically LD.

Good fishing to you all, no matter where you go and how you do it ! As has been said above, it's being out there that counts !
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

My "fishing" consists of casting a practice weight around my pond. Who wants that struggling with a fish to interrupt drinkin' a beer or 3!
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
Sixgun
Posting leader...
Location: S.E. Pa. Where The Finest Winchesters & Colts Reside

Post by Sixgun »

Yea Blaine...he might have been very happy pulling out of your place with that drifter...but wait till he gets it in the water and discovers the 4 cans of Flex Seal you used on it. :D -----6
Cool Stuff
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

Sixgun wrote:Yea Blaine...he might have been very happy pulling out of your place with that drifter...but wait till he gets it in the water and discovers the 4 cans of Flex Seal you used on it. :D -----6
:lol: It took six cans.....SumBeach sure rides high in the water now.....

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
DAV
Bill in Oregon
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Bill in Oregon »

Blaine, sorry your circumstances made selling her make so much sense.
I recently sold my kayak, as the old back is just not up to it any more -- and then I bought one of these, at a fly-fishing show price of $1500.
http://www.davescaddenpaddlesports.com/ ... -avenger-x
I also bought the little Suzuki four-stroke 2.5 -- all 29 pounds of her.
Eager to get out next week.

Vic, I have a friend in Oshkosh who also has a boat set up with a Go-Devil. Amazing machines.
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

Bill in Oregon wrote:Blaine, sorry your circumstances made selling her make so much sense.
I recently sold my kayak, as the old back is just not up to it any more -- and then I bought one of these, at a fly-fishing show price of $1500.
http://www.davescaddenpaddlesports.com/ ... -avenger-x
I also bought the little Suzuki four-stroke 2.5 -- all 29 pounds of her.
Eager to get out next week.

Vic, I have a friend in Oshkosh who also has a boat set up with a Go-Devil. Amazing machines.
I'm thinking about a 12' Livingston....Unbelievably stable, and can handle rough water. I already own a 6hp Nissan with <break-in hours....
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
DAV
TraderVic
Levergunner 3.0

Post by TraderVic »

Vic, I have a friend in Oshkosh who also has a boat set up with a Go-Devil. Amazing machines.[/quote]

Bill - when running rivers that have intermittent shallows, as around here ( Chippewa River, Red Cedar River, back water sloughs of the Miss. River ), the Go-Devil is a great set up.
.45colt
Advanced Levergunner

Post by .45colt »

Tradervic; I looked on the website and they offer those motors with pretty beefy looking "rock guards". any experience with them? I have a river nearby that the Go- Devil may be ideal in. long stretches of still snag filled water separated by short rapids. a regular outboard is a ticking bomb, the 9hp Go-Devil on a small boat may be just what I need.
TraderVic
Levergunner 3.0

Post by TraderVic »

Bill,

I encounter rocks every so often on the Chippewa, so I asked my dealer about a rock guard for my surface drive when I was setting up the boat. He stated that everyone who started with a rock guard eventually took them off for one reason or another. That's about all I know regarding rock guards.

Are you looking at a longtail or a surface drive ?
.45colt
Advanced Levergunner

Post by .45colt »

Vic, I'm thinking the "crawfish" longtail (58") would be good on the river as it is smaller water with a lot of rocks. Jim.
TraderVic
Levergunner 3.0

Post by TraderVic »

.45colt wrote:Vic, I'm thinking the "crawfish" longtail (58") would be good on the river as it is smaller water with a lot of rocks. Jim.
Sorry Jim......for some unknown reason I thought I was talking to Bill again. Hmm.....to much stuff in my head I guess.

Is the Crawfish model the 6.5 hp or the 9 hp longtail ?

They are great motor units for running shallows and weeds. BTW - weeds and rock guards do not go together.

Vic
.45colt
Advanced Levergunner

Post by .45colt »

Vic, it looks like the short one can be had with either motor.
TraderVic
Levergunner 3.0

Post by TraderVic »

Jim,

Out of curiosity - what lakes/marsh's/rivers do you frequent there in Ohio ?

Was just SE of Cincinnati ( Hamersville ) about ten days ago......browsing truck campers.

Vic
.45colt
Advanced Levergunner

Post by .45colt »

Vic, The Grand River is just a few miles away, good pan fishing in spring, fall, early summer. Son in law and I like to go to Leesville or Piedmont Lake to fish for Muskies and camp. I hate crowds so We usually go before June or after labor day . Jim