State laws regarding serial numbers and registration

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
daisygordoninc
Levergunner 2.0

State laws regarding serial numbers and registration

Post by daisygordoninc »

I passed on that Winchester 32 SP model 55 without a serial number. I didn't know until after
I had won the bid, which was probably too low, $610.00. I was nervous about it because it
wasn't getting bid on the way it should have. My gun shop said no they would not process it
without a serial number in Oregon. The owner in Idaho wasn't happy of course, but I don't
think his adds were completely honest because he did not point out that it had no serial number.
Have you had any experience with this serial number missing thing? What say you?
jnyork
Advanced Levergunner

Re: State laws regarding serial numbers and registration

Post by jnyork »

I don't blame your dealer a bit. Not a matter of state laws, it's Federal law.
Pete44ru
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pete44ru »

As I posted in your other thread on that rifle, the experiences I've had with questionable/altered/missing SN's, on rifles that should have been made with a SN, are cause to pass on one, no matter how "good" a buy it might be.

If the seller wants to move that rifle, the only way it's possible would be to submit the firearm to BATF, for inspection, investigation, and (if it clears) a BATF-applied BATF serial number.

(Of course, if BATF can raise a missing SN, and it turns out to be stolen, the seller would lose the firearm, at a minimum.)

If the seller won't do that, consider that you've avoided getting your fingers burned............(not to mention your butt ;) )

Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

I know for a fact that Winchester Model 72 bolt action .22s were never numbered....I wonder what they would do about that?
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
Pete44ru
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pete44ru »

BlaineG wrote:I know for a fact that Winchester Model 72 bolt action .22s were never numbered....I wonder what they would do about that?

A firearm originally made w/o a SN is a whole other breed of cat than a firearm originally made with a SN - if the SN is altered, missing, etc.

A firearm that was originally made w/o a SN (mostly lower-end shotguns & RF rifles), aka firearms made prior to the 1968 GCA, is simply noted, in the section of the paperwork where a SN is usually entered, "NSN" (No Serial Number).

jdad
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jdad »

BlaineG wrote:I know for a fact that Winchester Model 72 bolt action .22s were never numbered....I wonder what they would do about that?
If the firearm was manufactured with a serial number you are not allowed to alter it in any manner, shape, or form. The ATF, like the IRS, does not have any sense of humor.
I know a whole lot about very little and nothing about a whole lot.
Hawkeye2
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Hawkeye2 »

"The ATF, like the IRS, does not have any sense of humor."

The IRS is Comedy Central compared to the BATF.