Henry, Rossi and Marlins Oh My

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Grandpa Ron
Levergunner

Henry, Rossi and Marlins Oh My

Post by Grandpa Ron »

How many time has this been asked?

I am looking for a levergun in .357 mag. I will use it mostly for target shooting, probably 38spl. which I have a lot of.

I like the steel framed Henry because it is US made side eject and has a reputation for good wood and accuracy.

I like the Marlin Cowboy for its tapered barrel, side eject and it side loading gate. I am not sure about the wood on the newest models.

I like the Rossi for its 24" barrel and side loading. I prefer side eject and I am not sure about the wood on current models.

Re-sale value is not an issue as my son-in-law and grandkids have already claimed my guns. :D

I am interested in out of the box accuracy and reliable feed.

I am just curiuos what others have experienced with the above guns of recent manufacture.
Blaine
Posting leader...

Re: Henry, Rossi and Marlins Oh My

Post by Blaine »

Someday, I'm hoping to get a .357 Big Boy Steel Carbine with the 16.5" bbl :)

I have no objections to your other choices. I have an early 70s Marlin 1894 .44 mag that nears perfection. New manufacture "Marlins", and Rossi seem to be hit and miss in the quality dept (anecdotal, and not my personal experience)

If you have extra bucks, the new Winchester, Miroku Model 92s, or 73s are really, really cool and no doubt of the highest quality.
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
Chuck 100 yd
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Chuck 100 yd »

Go to a big gun show or large retail gun shop, handle them all, go home with a smile on your face.
All you noted are fine guns. Personal preference is not something others can decide for you.
Enjoy your new shooter!
TedH
Advanced Levergunner

Post by TedH »

I don't personally care for the aesthetics of the Henry, or the tube loading method. I've had a Rossi 357, and it was decent enough for the money, but not nicely fit or smooth. I recently bought a Marlin Cowboy after years of wanting one. It's by far the best of the 3, in my opinion. Be prepared to pay about double what you could get into a Rossi for though.
NRA Life Member
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

I've had Rossis and Marlins, and dissatisfied with none. In 357 Mag the Rossi feels lighter/handier in the 16" version than the Marlin 16" one. Never had a long barreled Marlin 357, but the long barreled Rossi's are nice, especially with a Lyman Globe front sight and The Rossi Tang sight (that is a clone of the Marble's but only costs $29 and the several I own all function well).

I like the option of a loading-gate, but the tube-loading feature I actually think is nice. Never had a Henry, but my Rossi tube-loaders I've liked (44 Mag, 454 Casull). The Rossi's that tube-load also have a receiver loading-gate though.

Like others said though, even though none of them are likely to dissatisfy you (and they all have great resale-value if you don't wind up liking your choice), so if you can get to a gun show (or the NRA convention next month in Kentucky), handle all three and see what one grabs at you.

Or.....order one of each, and plan on selling the two you don't like as much..... ( been there and done that - - - I usually wound up keeping ALL of them whenever I tried that stunt....... :lol: :oops: ).
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

TedH wrote:I don't personally care for the aesthetics of the Henry, or the tube loading method. I've had a Rossi 357, and it was decent enough for the money, but not nicely fit or smooth. I recently bought a Marlin Cowboy after years of wanting one. It's by far the best of the 3, in my opinion. Be prepared to pay about double what you could get into a Rossi for though.
:D :D I'm that one guy that always pinches himself loading, and unloading a gate-fed lever. I might say pinches loading gates. :lol:

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
DAV
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

Ok, I'll be the guy that rains on the "kum-bye-yah" parade above! The Marlin in .357 is known for a phenomenon known as the "dreaded Marlin jam". I suspect that as the Henry is based off the Marlin action, it might be susceptible to it. It's a condition where the carrier timing is a tad "off", allowing a second cartridge to feed, and getting trapped under the carrier. Or, simply when using short cases (like the .38Spl and light bullets), allowing two onto the carrier. Both conditions lock the rifle up. It's a relatively simple fix, but requires disassembly and modification of the carrier. Mostly affects cowboy action shooters and their quest for speed. Not as prevalent in guns produced since Marlin addressed the issue in their "CBC", (Cowboy Competition) mdl.

Lest you think that leaves the Rossi, it ha its own quirks. Maybe its worst is that the factory springs them like a 2-½T for a ½T load! Next is the incidental rifle with a bit too much gap between the cartridge guides. Easily fixed with a shim under the right cartridge guide. Those addressed, if needed, an overall smoothing/deburring, and you'll have a first rate functioning gun. Or, order yours already slicked up by the '92 "Expert", Nate Kiowa Jones @ Steves Guns. I have 3 Rossis. 2 in .357 and a 45 Colt. I did the slicking up of mine myself, before I learned of Nate...

IMO, if you want a well functioning rifle out of the box, buy the Miroku produced mdl '92s or '73s. And, they'll say "Winchester" on the barrel! My 2 Mirokus, an 1886 & a 1885, both say "Browning", but are second to none in fit, finish & function. If I was in the market to replace my '92s or '73s, that's where my money would be going.
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

Griff wrote:Ok, I'll be the guy that rains on the "kum-bye-yah" parade above! The Marlin in .357 is known for a phenomenon known as the "dreaded Marlin jam". I suspect that as the Henry is based off the Marlin action, it might be susceptible to it. It's a condition where the carrier timing is a tad "off", allowing a second cartridge to feed, and getting trapped under the carrier. Or, simply when using short cases (like the .38Spl and light bullets), allowing two onto the carrier. Both conditions lock the rifle up. It's a relatively simple fix, but requires disassembly and modification of the carrier. Mostly affects cowboy action shooters and their quest for speed. Not as prevalent in guns produced since Marlin addressed the issue in their "CBC", (Cowboy Competition) mdl.

Lest you think that leaves the Rossi, it ha its own quirks. Maybe its worst is that the factory springs them like a 2-½T for a ½T load! Next is the incidental rifle with a bit too much gap between the cartridge guides. Easily fixed with a shim under the right cartridge guide. Those addressed, if needed, an overall smoothing/deburring, and you'll have a first rate functioning gun. Or, order yours already slicked up by the '92 "Expert", Nate Kiowa Jones @ Steves Guns. I have 3 Rossis. 2 in .357 and a 45 Colt. I did the slicking up of mine myself, before I learned of Nate...

IMO, if you want a well functioning rifle out of the box, buy the Miroku produced mdl '92s or '73s. And, they'll say "Winchester" on the barrel! My 2 Mirokus, an 1886 & a 1885, both say "Browning", but are second to none in fit, finish & function. If I was in the market to replace my '92s or '73s, that's where my money would be going.
Sadly, I Googled "Henry Feeding Ejecting Jams, and they are there.....*sigh* But, it seems they know about it, so since the owner of Henry is a very stand up dude, he's prolly fixed it by now.

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
DAV
retmech
Levergunner 2.0

Post by retmech »

I've owned (in .357) a Winchester 94AE, a B92 Miroku Winchester, a steel frame Henry, 2 Braztech Rossi 92's and the use of a Marlin 94 for a year. I still have the Rossi 92's with over 10K round count between them. The Wincester AE was very accurate but mechanically junk, and did not hold up to a lot of shooting. The Miroku was really pretty and well made but so-so from an accuracy standpoint so someone made an offer I couldn't refuse. The Henry was a pound heavier than all the rest with so-so accuracy and minor ejection problems. Had it been more accurate I might have kept it around and fixed the ejection but I sent it down the road. The Marlin 94 had nothing on the Rossi's so after working up some loads for the owner I returned it. My 20" Rossi carbine is quick handling,reliable and very accurate. My 24" octagon has enough weight forward for accurate offhand shooting and is also very accurate and reliable. My 2 cents on my experience with pistol cartridge levers.
1894c

Post by 1894c »

I just ordered a Henry Big Boy Steel Carbine in .357mag -- well see how it goes, but I do know one thing Henry's customer service is outstanding so if I have any issues I know they will fix them, plus I'm willing to give Henry a try. My Henry Carbine in .22cal is my favorite .22 rifle of all time... :)

PS -- there are many posts on this forum that will tell you that Rossi, Marlin, and Winchester 1892 (Japan) leverguns in .357mag CAN have issues with either the .357mag or the .38spl -- that you need to watch what type of bullet you use and the length of the finished cartridge if you re-load. Also, I think a new levergun needs to "cycle the action" in order to break it in. The boys over at the Rossi Riflemen Forum recommend that you cycle the action of a new Rossi some 500 times in order to smooth out the action... :)
rossim92
Senior Levergunner

Post by rossim92 »

i have a marlin 336w in 30.30. a henry 22lr and a rossi 1892 in.357 mag , all levers All are good, but sent the rossi off to nate for an action job. It had extraction and lifter issues. he straightened that out, It will shooT anything I put through it now. I would buy another rossi,. I am interested in an 1873 model now. Once i get my harley paid for, That is next on my bucket list. An opinion is like a chute hole, everyone has one! :D
Rossi 92 .357 lever , and a cz pcr 9mm
Henry .22 lever, Remington speedmaster 552 .22 lr
Marlin Glenfield .22 boltaction
gforce 12ga semi
Taylor's Tactical 1911 A1 FS in .45acp
winchester 1873 44.40
Marlin 336W .30.30
beeman sportsman rs2 dual caliber pellet rifle
henry .22 magnum pumpaction/octagon barrel
stag 5.56 m4 with reddot
M. M. Wright
Advanced Levergunner

Post by M. M. Wright »

Just buy the Rossi from Nate an you'll be satisfied. Just don't ever try someone's slicked up '73 or you'll be in the market for another rifle.
M. M. Wright, Sheriff, Green county Arkansas (1860)
Currently living my eternal life.
NRA Life
SASS
ITSASS