Knife talk: Condor Bushcraft Parang Machete

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
wecsoger
Senior Levergunner

Knife talk: Condor Bushcraft Parang Machete

Post by wecsoger »

As I mentioned in another posting, had vacation time, went to Pigeon Forge TN for the sights. One of them, Smoky Mountain Knife Works, the ultimate 'guy store'. For those who don't know, name a knife brand, they probably carry it.

So I picked up this neat new toy.

Not the greatest of pictures. Overall length, 19 1/2". Blade length (sharpened), 11".

This is not a thin steel machete, blade thickness is 3/16", advertised as 1075 carbon steel. (which I love)

So far, haven't had a chance to do any serous brush clearing or zombie whacking. What I have fpimd though, is this thing strikes with authority. Sweet spot is right about the middle of that sharpened area. Handle is sort of a heavy greenish plastic, so it's easy on your grip. I've had it wrapped in paracord, then took it off. Still deciding what I want to do with it.

It's more compact than a machete but the extra thickness of the steel makes up for it.

Yes, I know carbon steel will rust, pretty much once you glance away from it. But it takes a wicked good edge.

If you get a chance check out the other knives from Condor. They are not necessarily pretty, but they are overbuilt and beyond functional. Says the guy that likes Rugers and used to carry a Glock when working.

Oh, yeah. NOT. Made in china, this one is stamped El Salvador.

Sheath is well made too, a heavy cordura nylon with a smalll pocket for another knife, stone or fire steel.

Pisgah
Senior Levergunner

Re: Knife talk: Condor Bushcraft Parang Machete

Post by Pisgah »

I have the Gerber "Bear Grylls" equivalent. By far the best bush-whacking machete design I have ever encountered.
wecsoger
Senior Levergunner

Post by wecsoger »

I saw that one there.

The parang pattern I find interesting - it does seem to have a lot of power. Machete is good for light vines and brush, but when you get into limbs and zombie heads, the extra thickness and weight seems to be the way to go.

I picked this one, even though more expensive than yours because of the weight and it's carbon steel, not stainless. This one seems to be a good temper but I'm interested in seeing how well it stands up to my usual abuse.

I've really, really a fan now of Condor after looking at their knives in the display case. Not pretty, but very solid and well built.

Oh extra comment, this blade, while sharp, has a more rounded edge to it. Later on I'm going to take a round stone to it and flatten it down some.

Still gotta figure out if I want to paracord up the handle...
cnjarvis
Senior Levergunner

Post by cnjarvis »

Condor had a very good reputation in the bushcrafting community. I think you'll be pleased.
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

I have two of these military surplus knives that are very thick like you describe. GREAT for brush-cutting.

http://www.knifeforums.com/forums/showt ... id/386312/
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
bonusmarple
Levergunner

Post by bonusmarple »

Condor is good. Another option is myparang which is basically a bidor blade rehandled in a nylon sheath. The 10" is pretty much all you need.
BrianSH
Levergunner 2.0

Post by BrianSH »

go over to youtube and search for "COLHANE". he's a pastor in the Nor'east, that spends a lot of time teaching survival courses in Brazil. Lots of good teaching on the use of machetes, and camping in the scrubb.

The vids on machete mods, will get you started very well. I'm planning on modding my choppers like he shows. - Brian
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

As a surveyor's Step-and-Fetch-It, I brushed dozens of miles of line. A long 24", thin machete was what worked best for me. Those thick, heavy ones are better for chopping, though.
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
Rusty
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Rusty »

Condor is a great bang for your buck IMHO.
If you're gonna be stupid ya gotta be tough-
Isiah 55:8&9

It's easier to fool people than it is to convince them they have been fooled.
jeepnik
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jeepnik »

Never much cared for the Parang. For the types of jobs it's designed for I prefer the Woodsman's Pal. Either that or a larger Bolo.
Jeepnik AKA "Old Eyes"
"Go low, go slow and preferably in the dark" The old Sarge (he was maybe 24.
"Freedom is never more that a generation from extinction" Ronald Reagan
"Every man should have at least one good rifle and know how to use it" Dad
Les Staley
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Les Staley »

Here's one a lot like your Parang, but probably cost a little more. From Finland the Skrama Bush knife. Saw one at a gunshow this winter, didn't like his price, looked it up and found one on fleabay. Good stuff on google. Couple of videos.. Image
This is plagiarized from someone else, but I love it!

I was born a gun owner.
It wasn't a choice.
I didn't become one later in life.
I was born this way.