Henry announced thier BLR-esque rifle

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
DPris
Levergunner 3.0

Re: Henry announced thier BLR-esque rifle

Post by DPris »

:D
Denis
TravisM
Levergunner 2.0

Post by TravisM »

Is it wrong for me to wish this rifle in 7.62x54R? You know, for historical reasons. :wink:
DPris
Levergunner 3.0

Post by DPris »

Yes.
Totally impractical & you won't see a rimmed case in that rifle. :)
Denis
tman
Advanced Levergunner

Post by tman »

Don't get why HENRY is trying to reinvent the BLR, since the BLR is in current production. Looking at the 2, I'd go with the Browning and it's 40+ year excellent tack record at a slightly lower price and lighter weight. However, I don't claim to know anything about "MARKETING". Hope they know what they are doing, and remain successful at it. I'd rather see an exact duplicate of the original Winchester 1894 SRC from the early 1900's with a few modern calibers along with the originals thrown in.
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

tman wrote:Don't get why HENRY is trying to reinvent the BLR, since the BLR is in current production. Looking at the 2, I'd go with the Browning and it's 40+ year excellent tack record at a slightly lower price and lighter weight.
I'm not sure they're reinventing the BLR as much as just trying to make a contemporary levergun capable of shooting bottleneck cartridges with pointed, high-ballistic-coefficient bullets. That of necessity entails a 'box' magazine, a rotary-locking bolt, and so looks like the Browning.

I'd prefer the American-made Henry, and the free-floated barrel and stationary trigger. There's not much "tradition" with Browning or Winchester these days, other than foreign investors and manufacturers buying up the remains of once-domestic arms makers.
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
gundownunder
Senior Levergunner

Post by gundownunder »

Seeing the two side by side I think the Henry has cleaner lines, apart from the S shaped recoil pad.
For the competition I shoot a set of open or peep sights are required, and for a hunter, the trip would be over if you broke your scope.
My only other gripe is that both Browning and Henry have forgotten what their forefathers taught them. Guns are made of steel and airoplanes are made of aluminium. I think until they get that right, the older, steel BLRs will always be more sought after.
Bob
You have got to love democracy-
It lets you choose who your dictator is going to be.
Panzercat
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Panzercat »

FWiedner wrote:It's not in the 'hideous' category on looks.

Detachable mag is a big plus in my book.

Got a little sticker shock going on here... $1000?

EGAD!!!

:shock:
Pretty sure you can find good condition Savage 99s for that price. And they look better.
...Proud owner of the 11.43×23mm automatic using depleted Thorium rounds.
DPris
Levergunner 3.0

Post by DPris »

Matter of opinion.
I've always thought the '99 one of the ugliest leverguns ever produced.
Well-made, don't run off on a tangent in what I'm saying, just oogly as hell to me. :)
Denis
7.62 Precision
Senior Levergunner

Post by 7.62 Precision »

I guess my earlier post didn't post?

Anyway, I have always liked Henry as a company. I dislike their lack of loading gates on their center fires, I love their rimfires, I respect their company philosophies and quality of their products.

I like the looks of this rifle, for the most part. I like it a lot more than the BLR - I have never had an interest in the BLR - the looks and several other things always turned me off.

I like traditional leverguns for my own reasons, like many of you do. But there is a huge market out there that will never be influenced by traditional things - just look at muzzle-loader hunting. I know almost no muzzle loader hunters who hunt with traditional muzzle-loaders. They almost all hunt with modern inline muzzle loaders. Take any of several of the state-required muzzle loader hunting courses with a traditional muzzle loader, and you will not hear the end of how wrong you are for not hunting with a modern muzzle loader.

Henry's gateless leverguns are targeting these hunters. This rifle will too. And for me, I like traditional, and will continue to collect and hunt with traditional leverguns. But a lever gun that shoots long-range cartridges like a bolt-action? I'll take that, too.

Price I can understand. We would all like to see it lower, but there are two considerations - quality costs, and R&D costs have to be recovered, and few people have any idea how high those costs are.

And the caliber selection is perfect. If you want another cartridge, throw another barrel on - the action is likely to work with cartridges like .260 Rem, 7mm-08, .338 Federal, etc.
t.r.
Levergunner 3.0

Post by t.r. »

Henry is certainly busy these days and I'm glad for their successes in the market place. This latest venture will succeed or fail based upon sales numbers, too. But I can't see much of a market for a rifle that appears to be lesser compared to the time proven BLR.

Where we hunt in Mifflin County, shots beyond 75 yards are very rare indeed. That's why 30-30, 35 Remington, and 44 MAG carbines are popular among our camp members.

TR
Fire Up the Grill - Hunting is NOT Catch & Release!
DPris
Levergunner 3.0

Post by DPris »

I see no area where the Henry "appears to be lesser" than the Browning. :)
Splain that one, Lucy!
Denis
tman
Advanced Levergunner

Post by tman »

Nate Kiowa Jones wrote:
DPris wrote:It's not a gun for lever-action traditionalists, it's not a bolt-action, and it's not a tactical gun.

It IS a well-made and accurate levergun in actual & useful rifle calibers that can easily handle 300-400 yard terrain IF it appeals to you.
If it doesn't, it doesn't.

My comments have not been intended to sell either the product or the concept, just to pass on info for anybody interested. :)

Lotta people dislike the Henry brand for various reasons, but the company has put quite a bit into this model & it simply breaks new ground for them.
Denis

Yeah, but it could be. That gun is just begging for a tapered octagon barrel and Schnabel Tip forewood.

Rather see Henry reproduce on of these instead.
DPris
Levergunner 3.0

Post by DPris »

Tell 'em! :)
Denis
gcs
Levergunner 3.0

Post by gcs »

Nate's picture is one pretty rifle!
That would be my choice,lol but the Henry does interest me in 223, as a NY coyote rifle.
But it probably is no better then my bolt action 243, sigh.... so many decisions