New Canadian Ranger rifle.

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
samb
Levergunner 3.0

New Canadian Ranger rifle.

Post by samb »

Colt Canada is building Sako's!

http://ottawacitizen.com/news/national/ ... an-rangers

I did not want to derail the SAR Tech rifle thread.
1894cfan
Senior Levergunner

Re: New Canadian Ranger rifle.

Post by 1894cfan »

I wouldn't mind having one of those, sans the crest. :D
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

1894cfan wrote:I wouldn't mind having one of those, sans the crest. :D
Ruger makes one for a dang sight less....Comes standard with a good ghost ring, and integral rail for scopes....
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
DPris
Levergunner 3.0

Post by DPris »

When that rifle was announced last year I asked Colt if it could ever be sold in the US.
Answer was no.

Unfortunate.
Denis
sore shoulder
Advanced Levergunner

Post by sore shoulder »

I'm confused why they chose .308 for use against "large dangerous predators". Will it work? Sure, under ideal conditions, and when do those happen? But why choose it on purpose. I would think a .338 or .375 would be a far better choice. Considering Ruger happens to make a .375 that's perfect for the job.
"He has erected a multitude of New Offices, and sent hither swarms of Officers to harass our people and eat out their substance." Declaration of Independance, July 4, 1776
11B30
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

sore shoulder wrote:I'm confused why they chose .308 for use against "large dangerous predators". Will it work? Sure, under ideal conditions, and when do those happen? But why choose it on purpose. I would think a .338 or .375 would be a far better choice. Considering Ruger happens to make a .375 that's perfect for the job.
Don't forget, they've been using 303 up there forever with no problems.
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
tman
Advanced Levergunner

Post by tman »

sore shoulder wrote:I'm confused why they chose .308 for use against "large dangerous predators". Will it work? Sure, under ideal conditions, and when do those happen? But why choose it on purpose. I would think a .338 or .375 would be a far better choice. Considering Ruger happens to make a .375 that's perfect for the job.
The .308 WCF. will kill all the world's game. It's been done over and over. African poachers use it to harvest elephant tusks. As mentioned the .303 has done it for years. An old saying, "you can judge the size of the boy by the size of his knife."
samb
Levergunner 3.0

Post by samb »

I think from a logistical stand point the Canadian Forces wanted to go with a NATO round and 5.56 was to light for Polar Bears and Grizzlies so 7.62 won out. Much easier to supply 5000 men and women with 7.62.

I do remember Ruger proposing a M77 with the Paddle stock for the Rangers in the early 90's about the time the SAR techs got the Ruger in 30-06. Not sure what caliber it was in though.
FWiedner
Advanced Levergunner

Post by FWiedner »

It's... uh...

Orange.

:?
Government office attracts the power-mad, yet it's people who just want to be left alone to live life on their own terms who are considered dangerous.

History teaches that it's a small window in which people can fight back before it is too dangerous to fight back.
sureshot
Levergunner 2.0

Post by sureshot »

Orange IS the new black. :D

Steve :)
sore shoulder
Advanced Levergunner

Post by sore shoulder »

tman wrote:
The .308 WCF. will kill all the world's game. It's been done over and over. African poachers use it to harvest elephant tusks. As mentioned the .303 has done it for years. An old saying, "you can judge the size of the boy by the size of his knife."

A sharp stick will and has done it too. But like anything else there's progress. We don't use spears, wooden wheels, and horse drawn plows. There's nothing wrong with having an insurance policy.

As for the poachers, I suspect that's more a consequence of availability than preference.

I seriously doubt anyone here would choose a .308 for a dangerous game rifle in Alaska or Africa.

I consider the .308 a marginal cartridge for any large game. I think most Alaskan guides would agree with me.
"He has erected a multitude of New Offices, and sent hither swarms of Officers to harass our people and eat out their substance." Declaration of Independance, July 4, 1776
11B30
Streetstar
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Streetstar »

That is a smart looking rifle and i applaud the Canuck's sensibilities, -- but if going with a small bore, --- why not just use a commonly available FN SCAR?

I would have said G3 or FN FAL, but those are pretty long in the tooth for a modern force

Oh well-- nice rifle though
----- Doug