Winchester 95

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
big bear
Levergunner 2.0

Winchester 95

Post by big bear »

Found a Winchester 95 carbine model(new manufacture) . Anyone have any experience with these. I have a Browning 95 in 30'06 which I like. Thanks for any info, pros/cons. It has a tang safety, which I believe someone here has a way of removing?
tman
Advanced Levergunner

Post by tman »

i'm looking for one at a reasonable price. i've handled and shot them. pretty cool gun. think you'll like it.
Grizzly Adams
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Grizzly Adams »

I have one of the 501 that Davidson's did in 30-40 Krag. It is a slick handling little carbine, and it's a shooter too! :) Seems to do best with 180 grain bullets - which is odd for the Krag. :shock:

Here's mine.

I don't even notice the safety on the tang. :lol:
If you can read this, thank a teacher. If you can read this in English, thank a Vet!
COMNAVFORV, Vietnam 68-70
NRA Life, SASS Life, Banjo picking done cheap!

Quyana cekneq, Neva
big bear
Levergunner 2.0

Post by big bear »

So what's a good price for NIB?I can't find one on aucton sites I've checked so far, wasn't looking for one, but ...
Grizzly Adams
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Grizzly Adams »

If you can read this, thank a teacher. If you can read this in English, thank a Vet!

Quyana cekneq, Neva
BenT
Advanced Levergunner

Post by BenT »

Grizzly if it's like mine in 30-06 it has real short throat ,unlike the Krag rifle. I can't use the 180 gr rem round nose because the bullet contacts the rifling so hard that it won't eject a loaded round. I have to tap it out with a cleaning rod.
t.r.
Levergunner 3.0

Post by t.r. »

I have an old book by Warren Page. He states that the 220 grain bullet with fairly thin jacket (back then) was the most popular selling ammo.

TR
Fire Up the Grill - Hunting is NOT Catch & Release!
Grizzly Adams
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Grizzly Adams »

BenT wrote:Grizzly if it's like mine in 30-06 it has real short throat ,unlike the Krag rifle. I can't use the 180 gr rem round nose because the bullet contacts the rifling so hard that it won't eject a loaded round. I have to tap it out with a cleaning rod.
These rifles do have short throats. I have not had problems with the 180 grain cast, but the 220, which should be ideal for the Krag engage the rifling too quick.

I sure do like the feel and balance of this little bugger! :D

Quyana cekneq, Neva
BenT
Advanced Levergunner

Post by BenT »

It's the most accurate levergun that I own. I just picked up some speer 180 gr rn. They have a different shape than the Rems . I haven't had a chance to try them yet. Does the carbine have a 20 or 22 inch barrel?
barbarossa
Senior Levergunner

Post by barbarossa »

I have one in 30/06 and it prefers 180gr bullets as well though they seem to disagree with this young buck
buckeyeshooter
Senior Levergunner

Post by buckeyeshooter »

I bought a carbine in 30-40, a carbine in 30-06 and the case colored takedown in 30-06.
The only one fired is the 30-06 carbine. It is very accurate and the smoothest lever gun I own. I would highly recommend one.
shawn_c992001
Levergunner 3.0

Post by shawn_c992001 »

I have one of the original 95's rifles with 28" barrel and chambered in 30-40 Krag that likes anything I put through it. It really likes the Remington 180gr. PSP, it'll shoot them MOA IF I do my part. Not bad for a gun made in 1932.
SASS#43836
Ain't easy havin' pals.