Round three

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Ysabel Kid

Round three

Post by Ysabel Kid »

At the beginning of February while traveling out to a trade show I came down with the crud going around. If you have had it, you know it is really something else. I missed every dinner that week, and ended up going to an Urgent Care. They diagnosed me with a sinus infection, started me on a Z-pack. By the following week, I went into my own doctor, they switched me to a new antibiotic, started me on a steroid course, and diagnosed me with Bronchitis.

Well, last week after feeling a little better my left ear started hurting, I started coughing non-stop, and feeling miserable again! I had another appointment with my doctor Friday, and it turns out that I have a "nasty viral infection". Unfortunately, with my sinuses getting clogged, I keep getting something bacterial on top of it. So now I am on round three of antibiotics, round two of steroids, first round of a prescription cough syrup, and half a dozen OTC med's!

And now I can't sleep.

ARGH!
Blaine
Posting leader...

Re: Round three

Post by Blaine »

:( I think I finally shook mine, but it was nearly two months..... Hang in there.
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

Prayers up Jay. Keep with the drugs. Several years back, the docs told me I had a severe sinus infection, tho' my left ear hurt constantly. Sinuses cleared up. Quit the antibiotics. Came back. Repeated... again & again, until finally, my doc realized I had an ear infection. By the time that cleared up I was down to 62% hearing in my left ear and what I can hear is just garbled sounds. It's no fun not being able to understand half of what's said around you. And I thought it was just the left speaker in my truck stereo!

Blaine, Good to hear you're on the mend. I'll be up in Emunclaw on the 18th... If it ain't rainin' should I bring my Sharps?
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
.45colt
Advanced Levergunner

Post by .45colt »

Yep it really sucks....sinus and upper respiratory . My M.D. told Me thirty years ago to quit My job as a meat cutter. In the cooler A.M. unload the truck it's 35*....then to the freezer...0* fans blowing all the time...then deal with whatever temp Ohio is depending on the time of the year. went on a cruise last April it was 80-90* steady for the whole week, after the coldest spring in Ohio history. I felt born again.
mikld
Advanced Levergunner

Post by mikld »

I had recurring colds, flu, sinus infections, and creeping crud of the head, until my ENT Dr. (the guy that took care of my throat cancer) did a debridement (sp?) of my sinuses. So far, so good...
Last edited by mikld on Sun Mar 06, 2016 11:45 am, edited 1 time in total.
Mike
Vocatus atque non vocatus, Deus aderit...
I've learned how to stand on my own two knees...
pdentrem
Levergunner 2.0

Post by pdentrem »

I started in early January with what was a cold. Became a sinus infection/headache with sweezy lungs and continuous cough. No color to the muck coming out of my nose nor the lungs. The day the sinus infection ended the sore throat started and that lasted another 2 weeks and still coughing. Just last week the sore throat is gone and cough as well. What a crappy winter. Almost no snow and warm temps but could not enjoy it all. Only got out once on the motorcycle but I did use the snowblower less than the bike. That is a first!
Pierre
Thunder50
Senior Levergunner

Post by Thunder50 »

Those Z-packs just flat out don't work on me. Keflex is my wonder antibiotic. I usually get a sinus infection every two years and I am careful about it getting in my lungs with the drainage. I can tell when its starting, and have finally trained the neighborhood emergency medicine place to prescribe just what I need.

If it starts getting in my throat, I gargle with peroxide (family refuses to do this, but I had strep throat once and was desperate--it helped greatly) and take a q-tip and night and swab the uvula with anbesol gel. Cuts down on the cough reflex so the cough syrup can work.

I also take a Guaifenesin tablet to help with the tightness in the chest. Helps me breathe better and cough up the stuff that has drained from my sinuses.

YK get better. We understand what you are going thru.
The meek shall inherit the earth, but I reserve the mineral rights!
All the knowledge in the world, is of no use to fools! (Eagles-long road out of Eden)
cas
Senior Levergunner

Post by cas »

I know how you feel. I'm usually good for two colds a year usually when the seasons change spring and fall. Usually lasts a week or two. And often as you know they progress into worse things.

BUT... in 2014, a few days before Christmas I got sick. All really nasty cold symptoms, for three weeks! I got better, mostly, for one week, then got sick again for another three weeks. I got over it, again mostly, and that lasted TWO weeks, at which point I got sick again for a few more weeks. :o So I was sick most of the time for almost three months, that was crazy.

On the upside, not to jinx myself, I haven't been sick since. :D
Of course I've had every other darn thing wrong with me... :lol:
Slow is just slow.
stretch
Advanced Levergunner

Post by stretch »

Jay, do you have a Neti pot? Ya know, one of those things ya stick
in one nostril and make water come out the other via your sinuses?

I used to suffer terribly form a sinus infection or two a year. For at least
the past five years, I haven't had one. If a feel a little cold coming on,
rinse the sinuses. Once a day, (when I remember!), and twice a day
if I feel a cold coming on. I haven't had a bad cold in several years either
since I started doing this. Just a wee pinch of salt dissolved in warm water
is all ya need.

Your mileage may, of course, vary. :)

And I hope you heal quickly. NO fun!

-Stertch
walks with gun
Levergunner 3.0

Post by walks with gun »

Isn't the Neti pot the same thing as waterboarding, For a persistent cough try a cup of mineral oil every morning. It won't help the cough, but it will help make you concentrate on not coughing. Get well soon, spring is coming.
stretch
Advanced Levergunner

Post by stretch »

Isn't the Neti pot the same thing as waterboarding

LOL!

Yep - the first time or three it feels that way!! Tear ducts get flushed
out pretty well the first time, too....... :lol:

Ancient solution, but it worked for me.

-Stretch
Old No7
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Old No7 »

Good luck Jay, hope you feel better soon -- with whatever remedy you select!:wink:

If you're not feeling well enough to shoot, I'm quite sure Y2K would shoot up some ammo for you.

Tight groups!

Old No7
"Freedom and the Second Amendment... One cannot exist without the other." © 2000 DTH
rjohns94
Advanced Levergunner

Post by rjohns94 »

P4u
Mike Johnson,

"Only those who will risk going too far, can possibly find out how far one can go." T.S. Eliot
Larkbill
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Larkbill »

If you don't want to try the Neti/waterboard then I recommend generic saline nasal spray. Cheapest thing in the drug store.

I used to get sinus infections from every cold, then my old school chiropractor suggested the saline spray. Start using it as soon as the sniffles start and keep using until you are back to whatever normal is (old man runny nose). Be sure to throw the old bottle away at the end. It has worked for me.

Post by hondo1892 »

Jay, I feel for you. Some kind of virus got passed to me. Lot of sinus drainage and coughing and now my breathing is not so good from the plugged sinuses. My pipes are on the small side and that creates problems that normally wouldn't. On top of that I can't use most decongestants because of BPH. Aint old age fun! Hope you do get to feeling better soon.
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

I get some relief by soaking a clean washcloth in as-hot-as-you-can-stand-it water, wringing it out, and placing it over my nose, and mouth, and breathing in the steam/moisture. The heat is good for opening your sinuses, as well. I suppose a vaporizer with a mask would do the same thing.

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
DAV
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

One of the over the counter medications is indeed simple saline solution. I was told to take two "hot-as-I-can-stand" them showers a day, and as I breath in the steam, do the ol' farmers nose-blowing routine, then hit my snooz with the saline spray. It has helped for sure. I am going to stay on the saline spray once a day in the morning even when I get over this. It will help in the future.

My probably lately has been lack of sleep. If it is not one thing it is another!

Thanks guys. I hope all of us get over this!!!
Tycer
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Tycer »

I snort goldenseal root powder for sinus infections. Usually just once.
Kind regards,
Tycer
----------------------------------------------------------------
http://www.saf.org - https://peakprosperity.com/ - http://www.guntalk.com
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

Tycer wrote:I snort goldenseal root powder for sinus infections. Usually just once.
All joking aside, "usually just once" because it works so good, or because it's miserable to do so?

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
DAV