Winchester. Parts is parts.

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
DeaconBlues
Levergunner

Winchester. Parts is parts.

Post by DeaconBlues »

I just recently obtained a lovely new in box Winchester 1873 Trapper. This rifle is one of 201 recently made by Miroku. My question, to anyone else who has one of these, or might know, is where are the parts?

Winchester's web site has no information about Miroku 1873 parts, and I haven't found any online providers of parts for these rifles. Mine is brand new, so I am unlikely to need parts in the near term. But Winchester/Miroku has been selling these 1873s since 2013, so I'm a little surprised that I was unable to easily locate a source for parts.

I suppose if I have a problem I could send it in to Winchester. Like some kind of savage. But I prefer to fix my own guns.
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Re: Winchester. Parts is parts.

Post by AJMD429 »

I don't know the answer, but welcome to the forum. I have the same issue with some manufacturers who only sell parts to gunsmiths (not talking receivers or sears either, just pins, screws, and such).
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

What kind of parts are you lookin' for? For speed parts, contact the "Cowboys & Indians" store. I know they make/sell parts for the Uberti clone, and if they don't make 'em for the Miroku, they'll know who does. BTW, the Uberti parts don't work in the Miroku... but several SASS pards have the Miroku and have race-tuned them with short stroke kits and new springs. So, they're out there.

For Winchester:
To contact the parts department call: 1-800-322-4626
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
DeaconBlues
Levergunner

Post by DeaconBlues »

Im thinking of the parts most likely to wear over time. The extractor, the firing pin, not sure what else might go on an 1873. I will be keeping it stock.
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

The last parts book I've seen is from 2008. And those are two might important parts to have one hand. However, my oldest Uberti is 30 years old, and all I've ever replaced is an extractor and a mainspring. One each. And that is after 30 years of shooting it cowboy action matches. (But I still have spares of both those and a couple of firing pins... just in case)!
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

AND... I'm over it!!
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Post by J Miller »

Parts rule: If you have spare parts the originals will never break. If you don't .................... :cry:

At least that's been my experiences. I've NEVER had a part break when I've had a spare. Strange how that works.

Joe
***Be sneaky, get closer, bust the cap on him when you can put the ball where it counts ;) .***
marlinman93
Advanced Levergunner

Post by marlinman93 »

Considering how many 100+ year old guns I've owned that had never been taken apart. Why would you need ANY parts in the first couple decades, or more? Chances are the next owner after you will maybe need parts. But if your gun does require parts in the near future, I'd question the quality of the gun.
Pre WWI Marlins and Singleshot rifles!
http://members.tripod.com/~OregonArmsCollectors/
Leverluver
Senior Levergunner

Post by Leverluver »

The only "iffy" part that might have some long term issues is the complicated (too many parts) firing pin. I believe that Pioneer Gun Works and maybe a couple of others make solid firing pins for the Miroku 73.

found it

http://www.pioneergunworks.com/winchest ... ester-1873
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Post by J Miller »

Leverluver,

Can you tell me why they hollow them out? Seems to me that the weight would contribute to reliable ignition?

What am I missing?

Joe
***Be sneaky, get closer, bust the cap on him when you can put the ball where it counts ;) .***
Leverluver
Senior Levergunner

Post by Leverluver »

Joe

I would also prefer solid for the same reason you mention. You'll have to talk to Griff about the nearly religious fascination with lightening everything inside "cowboy" guns to speed up their game. I don't walk with that crowd. :?
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

Leverluver wrote:Joe

I would also prefer solid for the same reason you mention. You'll have to talk to Griff about the nearly religious fascination with lightening everything inside "cowboy" guns to speed up their game. I don't walk with that crowd. :?
The actual firing pins are solid... but, remember, they're a two-piece design. So while the actual pin sits inside the bolt with a light rebound spring, the extension (rear half), which is struck by the hammer, even if hollow is still quite sufficient to provide enough force to smack the pin into a cap. 2ndly, the new extension better accommodates a larger cross pin to keep it captured in the bolt. A good thing.

But, having the original, big heavy extension is a negative when you've lightened the mainspring to make the action "lighter". Making the action "lighter" is a necessary offset when you've increased the force necessary to move the bolt and carrier by increasing the angle of the toggle links with addition of a short stroke kit. That reduction in mainspring force demands a lighter firing pin extension in order to be moved. See #s 67 & 98 below.

And while I understand the race gun concept for pure speed competition, I don't subscribe to it. I've only changed the lever and carrier springs to a wire spring for longevity. No short strokes or lightened mainspring or firing pin extension. (Unlike my Colts)! :twisted: :twisted: And while I can outrun a 1911 with my SAA (for FIVE shots), and this USED to be considered fast; it ain't anymore!
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

AND... I'm over it!!
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Post by J Miller »

Griff,

Thanks for the lesson. I do understand what you said. I've only had one 1873 and that was many, many summers ago when I was still young.

Joe