Not lever gun related but new " shoes" for the Ruger

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
bigbore442001
Levergunner 3.0

Not lever gun related but new " shoes" for the Ruger

Post by bigbore442001 »

I was planning to head out with my Ruger SS Hunter in 17 HMR for some predator hunting. Although I love the gun one issue that plagues me is that the grips from the factory are a wood laminate. They are smooth and slippery. So in wet weather or when you wear wool gloves it is a pain to hold with any consistency. Grip is one of the fundamentals of handgun shooting and when you introduce another variable like a change in grip you introduce inaccuracy.

I thought about checkering the factory grips. My Dad had some checkering tools but I decided that more than likely I would foul it up. So the best route for me was to obtain a set of rubber Hogue grips. Although they are ugly they are very functional.

After doing some routine errands I stopped at a local gun shop and in their collection of wares I found one set of Hogues for the Single Six frame. Back at home I fidgeted with them and finally put them on. Granted they aren't pretty but they do feel good in the hand and will work well in all weather. Also, I wondered if the gun would fit in my hand made bandolier holster. As you can see that is not an issue.

So hopefully this week I will be able to get out and call some predators in. I know some will question the 17 HMR on predators but it is the most power I can get in a rimfire for state land.

Chuck 100 yd
Advanced Levergunner

Re: Not lever gun related but new " shoes" for the Ruger

Post by Chuck 100 yd »

One word...... Stags !

That is a sweet little outfit. My hunters are both in .44 mag. One plow handle and one Bisley.
Enjoy!