Marlin '94

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
pshort
Levergunner 3.0

Marlin '94

Post by pshort »

Howdy,
I see at gallery of Guns, they have several Marlin '94's in .44 mag in stock.......

http://www.galleryofguns.com/genie/Defa ... code=56345

Paul
"Pain plants the flag of reality in the
fortress of a rebel soul"
buckeyeshooter
Senior Levergunner

Re: Marlin '94

Post by buckeyeshooter »

You mean Remlin 94's! :roll:
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Post by J Miller »

Naw, they're Marlingtons ..... :twisted:

Joe
***Be sneaky, get closer, bust the cap on him when you can put the ball where it counts ;) .***
sore shoulder
Advanced Levergunner

Post by sore shoulder »

Marlin reproductions.
"He has erected a multitude of New Offices, and sent hither swarms of Officers to harass our people and eat out their substance." Declaration of Independance, July 4, 1776
11B30
FWiedner
Advanced Levergunner

Post by FWiedner »

Saw (3) on the rack at the Cabela's in Allen, TX yesterday.

$699 ea.

:roll:
Government office attracts the power-mad, yet it's people who just want to be left alone to live life on their own terms who are considered dangerous.

History teaches that it's a small window in which people can fight back before it is too dangerous to fight back.
Malamute
Member Emeritus

Post by Malamute »

Whatever pet names anyone wants to call them, if they are getting it sorted out, its nice to see them giving some options in configurations and calibers.
"Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs even though checkered by failure, than to rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy nor suffer much because they live in the gray twilight that knows neither victory nor defeat." -Theodore Roosevelt-

Isnt it amazing how many people post without reading the thread?
sore shoulder
Advanced Levergunner

Post by sore shoulder »

Malamute wrote:Whatever pet names anyone wants to call them, if they are getting it sorted out, its nice to see them giving some options in configurations and calibers.
Maybe they should try a configuration that doesn't look like monkey with rocks made it. :lol:
"He has erected a multitude of New Offices, and sent hither swarms of Officers to harass our people and eat out their substance." Declaration of Independance, July 4, 1776
11B30
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

I'm blessed with an early 70s microgroove .44 mag. It's a safe queen because I like my early 70s .444 mo betta.
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Post by J Miller »

Just a comment about Marlin's QC. It wasn't all it was cracked up to be.

I've had 4 Marlin 1894s.
1: 1894 CS .357 Mag; rifle function good, fit and finish superb, sights tilted to the left I think.
2: 1894 S .45 Colt; fit and finish good, rifle had a grossly over sized chamber that would swallow the cartridge case, rim and all. Many misfires due to the cartridge moving forward at the impact of the firing pin.
3: 1894 Cowboy 24" barrel. Gorgeous fit and finish. Perfect functioning. Bore was so over sized that .456" Winchester factory bullets were key holing at 25 yards. Hitting the back stop at 100 yards was a joke.
4: 1894 Cowbly 20" barrel. Fit and finish good, nothing to brag about. Sights straight up, functions great, even feeds full length Keith SWCs. Accuracy good so far.
This one is a keeper.

So two out of four, or 50%, is not a good average. The vintage of these guns ran from the 80s to 2005.

I'm hoping that Remington or whoever is running the company does get the bugs out of Marlin rifles. The idea of all our classic lever guns being made overseas irks me.

Joe
***Be sneaky, get closer, bust the cap on him when you can put the ball where it counts ;) .***
Levergunner 3.0

Post by 1894 »

Just my opinions :
I prefer the Marlins over the Winchesters . They fit me better and I like the one screw removes the lever and bolt design. From what I've seen and read "they" , whatever you want to call them , have been stepping up and improving ( learning ) to make some decent lever guns. At some point , if "they" don't sell enough new rifles , it will not be worth the effort to keep making them and trying to keep improving both production and customer service.
Phil
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Post by J Miller »

That's kind of a vicious circle. If they don't improve the quality, nobody will buy them. If no body buys them, they loose interest in improving the quality.

:roll:

Joe
jstanfield103
Levergunner

Post by jstanfield103 »

Well I have JM stamped Marlins and a Remlin Marlin. Both are top notched shooters and I see nothing wrong with either of them. I am glad that Remington (or the sales group) bought Marlin. They are still a great American made Rifle. Built here in the good old USA. Trash talk all you want but I Love both of mine and would not hesitate to buy another Remlin. Because they really are a New Marlin. You have to change with the times, if the people that owned Marlin really wanted to keep the business afloat they would have. They didn't so let Remington have them and make them. Quit trashing everything ever written about them. If you have purchased one and had problems than post it. If you have not purchased one and still trashing them than quit ridding the coat tails of them that do not know.
To bad this has to be my first post, but my Remlin is top notch. I just get tired of the trash talk over Remington made on this post and on the Marlinowners site also. Would you rather see them made in Japan like Winchester ?
Not me.
Chuck 100 yd
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Chuck 100 yd »

J Miller wrote:Just a comment about Marlin's QC. It wasn't all it was cracked up to be.

I've had 4 Marlin 1894s.
1: 1894 CS .357 Mag; rifle function good, fit and finish superb, sights tilted to the left I think.
2: 1894 S .45 Colt; fit and finish good, rifle had a grossly over sized chamber that would swallow the cartridge case, rim and all. Many misfires due to the cartridge moving forward at the impact of the firing pin.
3: 1894 Cowboy 24" barrel. Gorgeous fit and finish. Perfect functioning. Bore was so over sized that .456" Winchester factory bullets were key holing at 25 yards. Hitting the back stop at 100 yards was a joke.
4: 1894 Cowbly 20" barrel. Fit and finish good, nothing to brag about. Sights straight up, functions great, even feeds full length Keith SWCs. Accuracy good so far.
This one is a keeper.

So two out of four, or 50%, is not a good average. The vintage of these guns ran from the 80s to

I'm hoping that Remington or whoever is running the company does get the bugs out of Marlin rifles. The idea of all our classic lever guns being made overseas irks me.

Joe
What joe said +1 . I seem to remember a complaint or two posted almost every week about the old Marlin co's QC.
I must be one of the lucky ones who had only one gripe out of over a dozen new Marlins. That was a
SS 1894 .44 mag. Carbine with an oversized bore. I returned it for repairs and received my rifle back with a new in spec barrel.
I bought an early used marlin that had the barrel screwed in crooked. My dealer was glad to refund my money when he saw what was wrong. Of course he ended up with my money anyway because he showed me a sweet 1895 .45-70 ( an early one,like new).
Bottom line, everyone has issues from time to time. Buy from someone who will treat you like a friend and if not happy,bring it back.
765x53
Senior Levergunner

Post by 765x53 »

jstanfield103 wrote:Well I have JM stamped Marlins and a Remlin Marlin. Both are top notched shooters and I see nothing wrong with either of them. I am glad that Remington (or the sales group) bought Marlin. They are still a great American made Rifle. Built here in the good old USA. Trash talk all you want but I Love both of mine and would not hesitate to buy another Remlin. Because they really are a New Marlin. You have to change with the times, if the people that owned Marlin really wanted to keep the business afloat they would have. They didn't so let Remington have them and make them. Quit trashing everything ever written about them. If you have purchased one and had problems than post it. If you have not purchased one and still trashing them than quit ridding the coat tails of them that do not know.
To bad this has to be my first post, but my Remlin is top notch. I just get tired of the trash talk over Remington made on this post and on the Marlinowners site also. Would you rather see them made in Japan like Winchester ?
Not me.
+1 for the same kind of trash talking American made Mossberg lever guns.
jstanfield103
Levergunner

Post by jstanfield103 »

765x53,
I have never had the opportunity to hold a Mossberg lever gun. I will have to try one soon.
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

jstanfield103 wrote:Well I have JM stamped Marlins and a Remlin Marlin. Both are top notched shooters and I see nothing wrong with either of them. I am glad that Remington (or the sales group) bought Marlin. They are still a great American made Rifle. Built here in the good old USA. Trash talk all you want but I Love both of mine and would not hesitate to buy another Remlin. Because they really are a New Marlin. You have to change with the times, if the people that owned Marlin really wanted to keep the business afloat they would have. They didn't so let Remington have them and make them. Quit trashing everything ever written about them. If you have purchased one and had problems than post it. If you have not purchased one and still trashing them than quit ridding the coat tails of them that do not know.
Not me.
I'm happy you got lucky... :roll: :roll:

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
DAV
vonfatman
Levergunner 2.0

Post by vonfatman »

I've been reading more about the quality improving. That's a good thing!
My guns are older, but I may just take a look if I ever see one in stock at
Cabela's or the local shops.

Bob
"Onward thru the Fog"
sore shoulder
Advanced Levergunner

Post by sore shoulder »

Not me.
A. The "trash talking" at Marlinowners has several lengthy threads full of pictures of cracked from the factory Remington repro 1895 receivers posted by multiple owners of said factory defect.

B. If you want to be a moderator here I believe you need to apply for the position. Contact Hobie.

C. Remington wishes they could make anything close to the quality of a Japanes Winchester.
11B30
Daisyman
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Daisyman »

I don't have a Remllin, but I do have lots of older Marlins. I would seem to me that making a rifle that you could go out and buy an old one and lay it on your bench at the factory, take some measurements and make one like it would not be that hard. I mean we're not talking rocket science here. They've been doing it for over 100 years. Making the sights line up and a chamber that fits the cartridge its made for just doesn't seem that difficult. What 10 year old kid couldn't look down the sights and tell you if they're off to one side or not lined up......The problem is they dumped all the people that knew anything and started with people that just THOUGHT they knew something and very inexperienced workers. Just my 2cents worth not counting inflation. :roll:

Irv
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

sore shoulder wrote:
Not me.
A. The "trash talking" at Marlinowners has several lengthy threads full of pictures of cracked from the factory Remington repro 1895 receivers posted by multiple owners of said factory defect.

B. If you want to be a moderator here I believe you need to apply for the position. Contact Hobie.

C. Remington wishes they could make anything close to the quality of a Japanes Winchester.
It's ok, Frank....Don't you remember your first beer, and making an azz out of yourself? :lol:

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
DAV
.45colt
Advanced Levergunner

Post by .45colt »

I am a Marlin Nut, own six of them in five different calibers. I have hoped they would get there act together since they were bought out by the big R . it's been six years and very little progress has been made. it's a Shame.
In the mean time Henry is soon to have it's new long range lever rifle out......while the "New" Marlin dropped the MX/MXLR 308/338 Express levers . they did nothing to develop the express series. Marlin had the table set for them.
Henry must listen very closely to a lot of us. https://www.henryrifles.com/rifles/colo ... d-edition/