Meet a great American

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Bill in Oregon
Advanced Levergunner

Meet a great American

Post by Bill in Oregon »

The sheriff of Harney County, Oregon, where the Malheur Refuge standoff continues. This is his back story, from our local paper, the Salem Statesman Journal. I'm real proud.

BURNS — Dave Ward has stood on the battlefields of Somalia and Afghanistan. But he’s made his mark by fighting for peace at home.

A man who reads the Bible and the Constitution in bed, Ward is the sheriff of Harney County, the site of a battlefield of a different sort. For the past month, Ward negotiated to try and bring a peaceful end to the armed standoff between federal agents and militants occupying the Malheur National Wildlife Refuge, protesting what they say is federal tyranny in the nation’s West.

“We want to see them go home to their families and consider how their actions affect this community,” Ward said. “We all want a safe resolution to this situation, and to go back to our peaceful way of life.”

Ward, 42, an ex-Army combat medic who is as husky and bearded as the militants on the refuge, found himself thrust in the chief negotiator's role throughout the tense, month-long standoff. And even after the FBI and Oregon state police brought matters to a deadly confrontation Tuesday, people in Burns aren't going to forget "Sheriff Dave" and what he tried to do to find a nonviolent solution to an armed impasse on the Western range.

At one point during a recent six-hour meeting with chief protester Ammon Bundy and his guards in the sheriff’s personal office, Ward never asked that they remove the guns they carried, a fact that did not sit well with Steve Grasty, the county's top official and judge.

“Matter of fact, I told him after that, 'Don’t you let that happen in this courthouse,'” Grasty recalls.

Ward, known for his strength — he holds the record for fastest knockout in the Fort Bliss boxing tournament — was privately angry with the occupiers, but he pressed on through stagnant negotiations, according to his parents, Jim and Linda Ward. On Jan. 7, Dave Ward met Bundy at a desolate intersection, barren except for sagebrush and sky. In the meeting, which was videotaped, the sheriff offers Bundy and his clan safe passage from the refuge if they will surrender.

“I think that there are some positives that could come out of this,” the sheriff tells Bundy.

“We’re getting ignored again, sir,” Bundy replies, angry over the U.S. government's refusal to meet their demand that federally managed land be turned over to county-level control.

The lawman and the outlaw then shake hands and part ways.

The situation escalated. The tires were slashed on Ward’s wife's car. Ward arranged a safe house for her where she still remains. His parents were followed by militants as they left their granddaughter’s Christmas play. The people of Burns, angry at the occupiers, were becoming miffed with Ward’s perceived inaction.

Jim Ward, 78, said his son wanted to find a way to end the conflict without bloodshed, focusing on a mantra he has always preached: “Do the right thing. Then suffer the consequences.”

The sheriff’s mother, Linda Ward, 74, said her son confided in her that he did all he could. It wasn’t enough.
Linda and Jim Ward, parents of Harney County, Ore.Buy Photo

Linda and Jim Ward, parents of Harney County, Ore. Sheriff Dave Ward, attend a community meeting. (Photo: Gordon Friedman / Statesman Journal)

“I’m sorry that there was a death but I’m very proud of how he handled it,” Linda said. She believes her son’s military experience is helping him keep a level head.

In Somalia, when he was a teenager and an Army medic, Ward exercised a gentle hand when dealing with patients, his parents say. A UN Peacekeeper whose legs were blown off needed to be transported, and Ward simply picked him up and carried him. Later, he told his father it was surprising to feel how light a man is when he has no legs.

By contrast, Ward doesn't speak of his time in Afghanistan — not even to his parents. From military documents, they learned that their son, who was a machine gunner on patrols, had trained more than 1,500 Afghan soldiers. Shocked by the lack of infrastructure, he created a literacy program and a bank for the Afghan trainees.

Ward brought his work ethic back to Oregon. He was the top cadet in his police training class, and won awards for marksmanship and understanding of defensive tactics.

His resume impressed Grasty, the top Harney County official. When the previous sheriff resigned, Ward was appointed to take his place.

A year to the day after he took his oath as sheriff, the occupation began. Harney County is a massive place, the size of Massachusetts and dotted with blink-and-you-miss-them towns like Wagontire, with a population of two.

Ward’s peace efforts ultimately ended in failure. On Tuesday night, militia leaders left the wildlife refuge to attend a meeting in another town. Their convoy was heading into a trap. Federal agents and state police had set up road blocks and spike strips along the militants’ route. They were being watched from above by an FBI plane.

Police pulled over the convoy, with militia leader Ammon Bundy among them. Occupants of one vehicle were arrested without incident. But an FBI video shows an SUV being driven by LaVoy Finicum, 56, speeding towards the road block. Finicum nearly runs over a federal agent and crashes into a snow bank. He hops out of the car and as police holler for him to surrender, he appears to reach into his jacket pocket where he had a loaded 9mm semi-automatic pistol.

In a matter of seconds, the officers fire, and Finicum dies in the snow.

Ward's mother recalls that her son came to see her right after the shooting, the first time she had seen him in more than a week. Ward sat on the couch, wearing a defeated look.

“Mom, you know I don’t like to lose,” he told her.
gamekeeper
Spambot Zapper

Re: Meet a great American

Post by gamekeeper »

Well no one can say he didn't give it his best shot at resolving this peacefully.
Whatever you do always give 100%........... unless you are donating blood.
SargeMarlin
Levergunner 2.0

Post by SargeMarlin »

Sounds like the sheriff has a good understanding of how to handle things. Maybe we should have him run for president.
FWiedner
Advanced Levergunner

Post by FWiedner »

Sounds like a decent fellow...

... Who allowed federal assassins to ambush and murder a peaceful protestor inside his jurisdiction.

My opinion, of course.

:|
Government office attracts the power-mad, yet it's people who just want to be left alone to live life on their own terms who are considered dangerous.

History teaches that it's a small window in which people can fight back before it is too dangerous to fight back.
Bill in Oregon
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Bill in Oregon »

Lavoy Finicum was shot to death by Oregon State troopers.
1894cfan
Senior Levergunner

Post by 1894cfan »

Shouldn't this be in Politics?
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

1894cfan wrote:Shouldn't this be in Politics?
No. Matters of freedom and liberty are at stake. It's way above "political".
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

BlaineG wrote:
1894cfan wrote:Shouldn't this be in Politics?
No. Matters of freedom and liberty are at stake. It's way above "political".
I was under the impression that quite a few of the Old Guard on the forum were like lots of the 'traditional' sportsmen, and didn't like to dirty their hands or minds by having anything to do with 'politics', even if it meant losing their gun rights. Some see firearms ownership as a wonderful hobby, but only a hobby, and others see it as a fundamental liberty that happens to be enjoyable as well. Big difference.
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
mohavesam
Levergunner 2.0

Post by mohavesam »

I watched the video - The federal agent was NOT in the path of his truck - he intentionally jumped INTO the path of the truck. That indicates one of two things - both unfortunately would show intent and lack of intelligence.

I cannot pass judgement on the standoff participants, as I sat in my chair while good men and women got off their backs to stand up to a slice of tyranny imposed by bureaucrats who've never set foot in that land.

Hats off to those who stepped forward... :cry:
I'm positive God created the universe... I'm just not convinced He had any choice in the matter.
-A. Einstein
marlinman93
Advanced Levergunner

Post by marlinman93 »

Since I live here in Oregon, I've followed this on the news daily. One thing came through clearly throughout the process. Ward wanted to do whatever he could to solve the problem with no violence, and no killing. His statement after the shooting clearly shows how emotional he was at the loss of a life, regardless of who died.
I've watched the video also, and since they cut it short, there's no way to see anything Finnicum did wrong. Yes, the officer who got close, did so of his own accord, not being targeted at all. Finnicum is walking in knee deep snow with his hands up. Several times it seemed like he lost his footing, and dropped his hands to catch his balance. I saw no attempt to go for a pocket ever.
In the statement the FBI made, they stated he went for his pocket with his RIGHT HAND. But then said a gun was found in his LEFT coat pocket. Well I'm unsure how one draws a gun from their left coat pocket, with their right hand?
Pre WWI Marlins and Singleshot rifles!
http://members.tripod.com/~OregonArmsCollectors/