Henry To Make a .41 Rem Mag Levergun

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Pete44ru
Advanced Levergunner

Henry To Make a .41 Rem Mag Levergun

Post by Pete44ru »

A fella, over on RFC, said he was speaking to Anthony Imperato (Henry Repeating Arms President/owner) about the possibility of Henry making a .327 Fed Mag levergun; but when Mr. Imperato declined, the RFC'er asked about one in .41 Magnum.

Mr. Imperato allegedly told him that Henry will be chambering for the .41 Mag soon - which should make a bunch of happy campers.

http://www.rimfirecentral.com/forums/sh ... p?t=603827

Save yer nickles & dimes, folks ! ! ;D

.45colt
Advanced Levergunner

Re: Henry To Make a .41 Rem Mag Levergun

Post by .45colt »

After E-mailing Henry last week I got a reply "From the Boss". among other things sign up for the new catalog.......Yep for sure the 41 mag is in the new one catalog I got the other day.....now All I want is a Henry in .338 Marlin Exp................. 8).
yooper2
Levergunner 3.0

Post by yooper2 »

While I do not care for the loading system on Henry rifles, a 41 Mag levergun for a reasonable price will be hard to pass up.

Eric
Thunder50
Senior Levergunner

Post by Thunder50 »

I second that thought. Passed up a 41 Marlin one day and have regretted it since.
The meek shall inherit the earth, but I reserve the mineral rights!
All the knowledge in the world, is of no use to fools! (Eagles-long road out of Eden)
Lefty Dude
Senior Levergunner

Post by Lefty Dude »

Thunder50 wrote:I second that thought. Passed up a 41 Marlin one day and have regretted it since.
You best be glad you passed on the marlin, they were PO?.

Save your money for the Henry.
SASS# 51223
Arizona Cowboy Shooter's Assoc.
Cowtown Cowboy Shooter's Assoc.

Uberti 73/44-40 carbine, Rossi 92/44-40,
Marlin 94CB/44 24" Limited, Winchester 94/30-30
Ray Newman
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Ray Newman »

Now this is good news for the .41 Magnum aficionados! Next maybe Henry will change to a loading gate design??? The tube loading is why I will not buy one.

Always liked the .41 Magnum and thought it is a way under appreciated round. Still looking a not abused and tight Model 57 6" Smith to keep my Rugers and Marlin 1894 company.

Hope they sell well!
The most important aspect of this signature line is that you don't realize it doesn't say anything significant until you are just about done reading it & then it is too late to stop reading it....
Grand Poo Bah WA F.E.S.

In real life may you be the bad butt that you claim to be on social media.
MrMurphy
Senior Levergunner

Post by MrMurphy »

Agreed.....as long as they are front loading centerfires.....sorry, not buying.

Not a .41 shooter but I know a lot of guys will be pleased by this.
jeepnik
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jeepnik »

I read a lot about Henery's loading setup. That's the way they make them and I'm glad they do. Marlin and Winchester have gates. The old spencer loaded through the butt stock
Variety is the spice of life.
Jeepnik AKA "Old Eyes"
"Go low, go slow and preferably in the dark" The old Sarge (he was maybe 24.
"Freedom is never more that a generation from extinction" Ronald Reagan
"Every man should have at least one good rifle and know how to use it" Dad
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

While I've very careful when loading my 1860 Henry, loading from the front with centerfire cartridges is not a safe, sane proposition. The system is fine with the rimfire, where the cartridge when dropped in the tube doesn't have a primer in the center of the cartridge to slam into the nose of the previously loaded bullet. The King's patent loading gate solved a very real problem.

I know several cowboy shooters over the years that have used a Marlin 41 Mag, and felt they were stellar.
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
765x53
Senior Levergunner

Post by 765x53 »

The front loading of my .357 doesn't bother me a bit.
Far better than pinching your fingers on a Marlin loading gate, and dropping cartridges into a vertical tube is not required.
otteray
Levergunner 2.0

Post by otteray »

Lefty Dude wrote:
Thunder50 wrote:I second that thought. Passed up a 41 Marlin one day and have regretted it since.
You best be glad you passed on the marlin, they were PO?.

Save your money for the Henry.
Great news that they are going to make a new .41 mag levergun!
But I wouldn't trade my 1989 year of manufacture 1894 .41 Mag for the world! It is more accurate than I can hold, w/ 240 or 260 gr cast bullets. I just replaced the factory trigger with a Happy Trigger for even more joy!
otteray
Rusty
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Rusty »

I think the .327 would have been a bigger seller than the .41 myself but that might just be my own selfish opinion. If I could get a carbine in .327 I'd be buying a lot of Rugers.
If you're gonna be stupid ya gotta be tough-
Isiah 55:8&9

It's easier to fool people than it is to convince them they have been fooled.
zzr7ky
Levergunner 1.0

Post by zzr7ky »

Wonder how hard it would be to get one to feed and extract 10MM? The barrel would need setting back, ut that would be a lot of bang in a small package. Great companion for a 10MM Delta Elite.
jeepnik
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jeepnik »

zzr7ky wrote:Wonder how hard it would be to get one to feed and extract 10MM? The barrel would need setting back, ut that would be a lot of bang in a small package. Great companion for a 10MM Delta Elite.
Same issues with a .45 acp levergun. But I'd buy one if someone made it.
Jeepnik AKA "Old Eyes"
wvfarrier
Senior Levergunner

Post by wvfarrier »

I have a 10mm AR and it's ok. Doesnt have the versatility of my 357 levers
A bondservant of our Lord, Christ Jesus
missionary5155
Levergunner 3.0

Post by missionary5155 »

Greetings
Good for Henry ! About time someone realized there is a market for a caliber .41 mag lever rifle.
When I was in the market for a lever rifle that would cycle 44 Russian cartridges Henry was the only outfit who would answer my inquirers. Then Henry was the only firm who would actually give it whirl. Walla.. The Henry 44 mag rifle works and works well with 44 Russian.
Guess I will have another .41 mag sitting in the stable one future day.
Mike in Peru
A sinner saved by FAITH in the Blood of Jesus Christ &teaching God´s Word in Peru. John 3:36
Tanker 71-74 NRA Life Ready to Defend the Constitution from enemies within and without.
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

(Flame Suit On) I always thought the .41 Mag was an answer to a question that was never asked.... My .429 Mags ( :wink: ) are almost the same size, and way more useful.
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
missionary5155
Levergunner 3.0

Post by missionary5155 »

Greetings
Exactly why I sold all my 43's and stuck with 45 Colt and 41.... who needs that in between .43. Alone it does make an OK compromise caliber.
A sinner saved by FAITH in the Blood of Jesus Christ &teaching God´s Word in Peru. John 3:36
Tanker 71-74 NRA Life Ready to Defend the Constitution from enemies within and without.
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

missionary5155 wrote:Greetings
Exactly why I sold all my 43's and stuck with 45 Colt and 41.... who needs that in between .43. Alone it does make an OK compromise caliber.
My .429 Mag is better than both of them. 8)

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
DAV
jeepnik
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jeepnik »

BlaineG wrote:(Flame Suit On) I always thought the .41 Mag was an answer to a question that was never asked.... My .429 Mags ( :wink: ) are almost the same size, and way more useful.
The original idea was great. A .41 caliber for police revolvers, not loaded to a fire breathing state. Magnumitis caused cops to try and use the mag loads for daily use. Heavy recoil and flash doomed it.

Interestingly the 10mm had the same fate. But, some smart folks shortened the case and made the .40 S&W which took off like a rocket. I wonder if S&W had released the magnum and waited a bit then released the "special" if it might not have been a different story.
Jeepnik AKA "Old Eyes"
tman
Advanced Levergunner

Post by tman »

I don't see the .327 or .41 being big sellers. The .357 and .44 magnums make them pointless, especially if you are a handloader.
Ray Newman
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Ray Newman »

"My .429 Mag is better than both of them."
--Blaine

But some say the .44 mag pales compared to the .500 S&W.... :lol:
The most important aspect of this signature line is that you don't realize it doesn't say anything significant until you are just about done reading it & then it is too late to stop reading it....
Grand Poo Bah WA F.E.S.

In real life may you be the bad butt that you claim to be on social media.
piller
Posting leader...

Post by piller »

If they make it, and if you like it, then buy it. You don't have to justify it to me. In fact, I would probably try to talk you into buying it.
D. Brian Casady
Quid Llatine Dictum Sit, Altum Viditur.
Advanced is being able to do the basics while your leg is on fire---Bill Jeans
Don't ever take a fence down until you know why it was put up---Robert Frost
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

Ray Newman wrote:"My .429 Mag is better than both of them."
--Blaine

But some say the .44 mag pales compared to the .500 S&W.... :lol:
I wish I hadn't sold my BFR in 45-70. Shooting the Grizz Load (525s) was amazing, and not nearly as painful as a full power .429 Mag load....

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
DAV
sore shoulder
Advanced Levergunner

Post by sore shoulder »

jeepnik wrote:

Interestingly the 10mm had the same fate. But, some smart folks shortened the case and made the .40 S&W which took off like a rocket.
Some even smarter folks then realized the .40 short and weak does literally nothing the 9mm wont do, except hold less rounds and have more muzzle flip making it harder to stay on target, and have now come back around to the sound doctrine of the 9mm for combat. These include Marine Special Operations (MARSOC) , FBI, and a myriad of other law enforcement agencies.

http://www.marinecorpstimes.com/story/m ... /23548847/

http://loadoutroom.com/12077/fbi-going- ... s-science/

http://www.guns.com/2013/08/14/police-d ... ch-to-9mm/

And the coup de grace:

"In fact, the only reason that the police switched from 9mm to .40 in the first place was because of the Assault Weapons ban of 1994. The 1994 law banned the production of high capacity magazines, however, you could still sell “pre-ban” magazines. So the gun manufacturers went to police departments and offered big incentives to upgrade to the .40 so they could get the departments to turn in the high capacity 9mm magazines that they could resell for a huge profit.

In other words, it wasn’t because the .40 was a miraculous new round, it’s because gun manufacturers wanted to make money and so they made the police departments an offer they couldn’t resist."

http://www.usacarry.com/why-agencies-switching-9mm/

That oughta liven things up a bit. :D
"He has erected a multitude of New Offices, and sent hither swarms of Officers to harass our people and eat out their substance." Declaration of Independance, July 4, 1776
11B30
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

765x53 wrote:The front loading of my .357 doesn't bother me a bit.
Far better than pinching your fingers on a Marlin loading gate, and dropping cartridges into a vertical tube is not required.
I agree - I actually prefer it for functionality and reliability - 'traditional looks' is something I'm not that worried about.
BlaineG wrote:(Flame Suit On) I always thought the .41 Mag was an answer to a question that was never asked.... My .429 Mags ( :wink: ) are almost the same size, and way more useful.
I agree......

It would be interesting to see what cartridges we'd wind up with NOW, if we were starting from scratch...

Say the 500 S&W would be 'top-end' for revolvers and 'pistol caliber' lever guns...then you could bracket the 'bottom end' with (of course) the 22 LR, and just "fill in the gaps between"...

...but how many revolver/levergun cartridges would you really need to fill that gap...???

I'd definitely include a "32" of some sort - maybe the 32 Fed Mag with loads from 32 S&W to 32-20 to full-bore.
Then I'd probably pick a 44 Mag for the next 'step' - perhaps with a 'Casull' high-pressure equivalent in a slightly longer case.
In fact, for lighter lever guns, perhaps a shortened "500 Special" could be loaded to lower pressures filling the 480 Ruger niche.

That would pretty much cover most needs as far as "pistol-caliber lever guns", eh...?
  • 22 LR
    32 Mag
    44 Mag
    500 S&W
Of course, you could substitute a 357 mag and a 45 Colt for the 'middle' easily enough.
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
765x53
Senior Levergunner

Post by 765x53 »

I will always believe that the .41 magnum exists because no one wanted to admit that George Herter was right by legitimizing the .401 Power Mag.
264 Win Mag
Levergunner 1.0

Post by 264 Win Mag »

Been looking at the Henry's for some time but have never made the leap and opened my wallet. This may be the proverbial "straw". It's going to be hard to look at my Blackhawk and explain it's not going to have a close friend. The only downside will be telling my wife that the Blackhawk is going to have a close friend! :mrgreen:

Thomas
Pete44ru
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pete44ru »

Tell her that, as a new product promotion, the rifles comes with a piece of jewelry - and buy her some bling when you buy the rifle. ;)

264 Win Mag
Levergunner 1.0

Post by 264 Win Mag »

Pete44ru wrote:.

Tell her that, as a new product promotion, the rifles comes with a piece of jewelry - and buy her some bling when you buy the rifle. ;)

I like it, sounds like a top notch idea!

Thomas
W.E.G.
Levergunner

Post by W.E.G. »

I'm surprised that anybody is debating the "practicality" of the .41 Magnum as may be offered as a Henry rifle.

Surely, "practicality" cannot be the reason why any of us would buy such a thing.
Who would argue that there aren't better choices for target-shooting, deer-hunting, or small game hunting?
Not that the a .41 Magnum levergun won't appoint itself adequately in any of those endeavors.

I'll buy one simply because I LIKE THE .41 MAGNUM. A lot.
I always wanted a .41 Magnum lever gun (and not for practical reasons).
Now with Marlin not even making them, and Marlin's quality being something of a question mark anyway these days, I'm not getting any younger
This is probably a last-in-my-lifetime opportunity to get such a thing at fair retail price.
I plan to take advantage of it.

My eyes aint much for iron sights these days.
I've got a Leupold 1x-5x laid up that has been waiting for a home.
I think Henry offers a scope base especially for the "Big Boy" receiver.
Not to mention a couple equally-impractical friends-to-be.
I'm excited.

50-yard gun, a couple times a year.
What fun!

jeepnik
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jeepnik »

sore shoulder wrote:
jeepnik wrote:

Interestingly the 10mm had the same fate. But, some smart folks shortened the case and made the .40 S&W which took off like a rocket.
Some even smarter folks then realized the .40 short and weak does literally nothing the 9mm wont do, except hold less rounds and have more muzzle flip making it harder to stay on target, and have now come back around to the sound doctrine of the 9mm for combat. These include Marine Special Operations (MARSOC) , FBI, and a myriad of other law enforcement agencies.

http://www.marinecorpstimes.com/story/m ... /23548847/

http://loadoutroom.com/12077/fbi-going- ... s-science/

http://www.guns.com/2013/08/14/police-d ... ch-to-9mm/

And the coup de grace:

"In fact, the only reason that the police switched from 9mm to .40 in the first place was because of the Assault Weapons ban of 1994. The 1994 law banned the production of high capacity magazines, however, you could still sell “pre-ban” magazines. So the gun manufacturers went to police departments and offered big incentives to upgrade to the .40 so they could get the departments to turn in the high capacity 9mm magazines that they could resell for a huge profit.

In other words, it wasn’t because the .40 was a miraculous new round, it’s because gun manufacturers wanted to make money and so they made the police departments an offer they couldn’t resist."

http://www.usacarry.com/why-agencies-switching-9mm/

That oughta liven things up a bit. :D
Very true, but I didn't want to start another 9mm vs ? war. Carried an HP for a bit. But I just felt like a 1911 with that big ole bullet suited me better. Too bad they didn't have high cap .45 acp's back in the early 70's, would have been the best of both worlds. I always did like the magazine capacity of the HP.
Jeepnik AKA "Old Eyes"
jeepnik
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jeepnik »

765x53 wrote:
I will always believe that the .41 magnum exists because no one wanted to admit that George Herter was right by legitimizing the .401 Power Mag.
Now there is a blast from the past, almost forgot about that one.
Jeepnik AKA "Old Eyes"
W.E.G.
Levergunner

Post by W.E.G. »

The .41 is now on the Henry website.

https://www.henryrifles.com/rifles/henry-big-boy-steel/

claybob86
Senior Levergunner

Post by claybob86 »

There must be SOMETHING out there that needs to be shot for which a .357 is not enough but a .44 is too much! :P
Have you hugged your rifle today?
Frank V
Levergunner 1.0

Post by Frank V »

If Henry does make a .41 it should be a big hit with those who like the .41 mag & have handguns for it.
I know for a fact the Henry .22lr rifles shoot very well & would expect a Henry .41 mag. to shoot well also.
U.S.A. RIDE FOR THE BRAND OR LEAVE!
W.E.G.
Levergunner

Post by W.E.G. »

The Henry .41 is now available from online vendors.

Overpriced by $100+ currently.
tman
Advanced Levergunner

Post by tman »

The load tube works on Spencer's and Henry's. Doesn't look right on the others. Henry could make a Saddle Ring carbine 1894 Winchesters in various calibers at an affordable price. Bet they'd sell.
Frank V
Levergunner 1.0

Post by Frank V »

Henry makes a very good lever action. Their .45-70 is heavier than the Marlin 95, but a nice rifle anyway. Extra weight tames recoil but makes packing all day in the woods more tiresome.
The .22s I've seen & shot all shot exceptionaly well. I'd like the chance to shoot their .45-70.
U.S.A. RIDE FOR THE BRAND OR LEAVE!
Rube Burrows
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Rube Burrows »

I am sure it will be nice.

Years ago I emailed Anthony Imperato and asked them why they were not making the 1860 because I knew that many would want one with the actual Henry name on it. Well he called me on the phone (which shocked me to begin with) and told me that the main reason was that the 1860 was not made for .45 colt and 44-40 etc. I countered him by saying that if Uberti can do it I see no reason why Henry can't. Well I was very happy to see them finally doing it but was disappointed at them being about double what the Uberti costs.

Yesterday was the first day that I have actually held one of the Henry 1860s and I must say that it is truly a work of art in every sense of the word. The craftsmanship that goes into each one was amazing and the deep bluing was pretty also. Even the iron frame was very nice and pretty. I hate that I cant justify spending that much on one at this time but I can see the difference.

In the end.......I am sure that the Henry .41 Rem Mag will be a very beautiful and well made gun.