Ruger 77 338 Win Mag

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
daisygordoninc
Levergunner 2.0

Ruger 77 338 Win Mag

Post by daisygordoninc »

I'm looking at a Ruger 77 338 Win Mag for sale on Gun Broker for 669.00, it has a scope and muzzle brake, it has a walnut scope. Has anyone had experience with a Ruger 77 in this caliber or maybe a 300 Win Mag in Ruger 77?
It seems like a great price, but I'm unfamiliar with them.
crs
Advanced Levergunner

Re: Ruger 77 338 Win Mag

Post by crs »

Yes.
I took mine to Africa and took several plains game with it. a friend took his eland with it too.
A couple of years ago took a nice bull elk with it.

Mine has tang safety and is magna ported, glass bedded, trigger pull lowered to 4 pounds, a Limb Saver recoil pad, a Leupold scope and shoots well.
They are good reliable rifles and that sounds like a good price to me.
If the rifle looks good, will the seller let you shoot it?
Last edited by crs on Tue Jan 05, 2016 9:54 am, edited 1 time in total.
CRS, NRA Benefactor Member, TSRA, DRSS, DWWC, Whittington Center
Android Ballistics App at http://www.xplat.net/
Pete44ru
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pete44ru »

I've had a couple-three .338 Win Mag's, one of them a Ruger All-Weather (stainless w/black synthetic stock) - but I've never seen a walnut scope........... ;)

I usually value an unknown or inexpensive (used) scope @ $ zero.

The seller sounds a little proud of his, though - but for $100 less than the asking, it's a winner.

OTOH, if it's a Mark I (tang-safety), it's a bargain.

Although, on GB, what you see is what you get, usually no shooting or sale sans scope.

JB
Senior Levergunner

Post by JB »

I had a 77 in 338 for a while. It was a pretty decent rifle. Mine didn't have a muzzlebreak. Personally I'd avoid the muzzlebreak. They're loud and I didn't really find the 77 338 to be that bad in the recoil department anyway.
Thunder50
Senior Levergunner

Post by Thunder50 »

Don't have a muzzle brake on mine and don't feel the need for one. Mine is a tang safety RS model (with open sights)
The meek shall inherit the earth, but I reserve the mineral rights!
All the knowledge in the world, is of no use to fools! (Eagles-long road out of Eden)
EdinCT
Levergunner 3.0

Post by EdinCT »

I have a stainless with a laminate stock. I put a kickease pad on it and if I shoot it I get so it is not a problem. If I put it away for a year when I first shoot it, it seems a little rough but doable. I like it and hope to go for elk and a moose before the body totally gives out.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

My 1976 (tang) 6mm has been relable, and shoots 5-shot cloverleafs at 100 yards with Lee kit-loader (old 'target loader with inside neck reamed and micrometer seating die) assembled loads.

I under-use that gun...along with several others that outclass me... :oops:
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
Malamute
Member Emeritus

Post by Malamute »

The tang safety one I had shot very well and was more comfortable to shoot than any other rifle I've shot in that power class, and much more comfortable to shoot (to me) than a Winchester model 70 300 mag I worked loads up for a guy with. I didn't like shooting it at all. Very sharp and unpleasant recoil. The Boss on it was also hideously loud.

Nota fan of brakes. The 77 I had didn't need one in any event. Very nice shooting rifle with a Decelerator pad. Avoid shooting it off a bench, or avoid leaning into it on a bench, and it should be fine. I shot mostly 250 gr loads.
"Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs even though checkered by failure, than to rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy nor suffer much because they live in the gray twilight that knows neither victory nor defeat." -Theodore Roosevelt-

Isnt it amazing how many people post without reading the thread?
buckeyeshooter
Senior Levergunner

Post by buckeyeshooter »

Nothing wrong with that one. I have one that I have had 35 years, never a problem with it. It's downed deer, bear, elk and moose. I like the 250 grain bullets in it.
TedH
Advanced Levergunner

Post by TedH »

I had a Stainless/Synthetic 77MKII for quite a few years. It was plenty accurate, and a real powerhouse. I bought it brand new in 2000 for $349. It was the last of the boat paddle stocks, and the store had the rifles with the new design stocks out on the racks but a handful of the old models in back on clearance. I settled on the 225 gr. Nosler Accubond with a full load of IMR4831. Clocked just over 2900 fps, and was very flat shooting.
NRA Life Member
daisygordoninc
Levergunner 2.0

Post by daisygordoninc »

Thank you for those fine responses. I have been a Winchester collector, but this Ruger looks like a good gun and I have
wanted to add a 338 to my arsenal.
I love guns that are made in America, and Ruger has a pretty good reputation.
cas
Senior Levergunner

Post by cas »

I'd be a little leary of that walnut scope. :D
Slow is just slow.
JB
Senior Levergunner

Post by JB »

cas wrote:I'd be a little leary of that walnut scope. :D
Yea, but they look so much classier than the blue or silver scopes everybody else has.
Old Time Hunter
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Old Time Hunter »

daisygordoninc wrote:I'm looking at a Ruger 77 338 Win Mag for sale on Gun Broker for 669.00, it has a scope and muzzle brake, it has a walnut scope. Has anyone had experience with a Ruger 77 in this caliber or maybe a 300 Win Mag in Ruger 77?
It seems like a great price, but I'm unfamiliar with them.
Have a M77 chambered for 300 Win Mag...have not pulled it out of the closet in a few years. For no other reason than have not had a need to. Mine is an excellent long range hunting rifle with a 2-6X30 scope...zeroed in at 200 yards with scale to 600. Will absolutely carry true to the 600 with a 160gr BT. Kicks like a mule when loaded full bore 200gr bullets.

Still looks new...now that you made me pull it out.
jtaylor1960
Levergunner

Post by jtaylor1960 »

I have a top tang made in 1990.I bought it at the local gun shop.A man bought it to go to Africa.He sighted it in and never got to go .It sat in the safe until he traded it last year.I shot it with my handloaded 200gr. bullets .The first load I tried shot just over 1/2 inch at 100yds.
ndcowboy
Levergunner 2.0

Post by ndcowboy »

CDNN has Ruger Hawkeyes in 338 brand spanking new for $499 in both walnut and synthetic:

http://www.cdnnsports.com/ruger-m77-haw ... pMSIFmR-M8

http://www.cdnnsports.com/rugerr-m77r-h ... pMSIFmR-M8
Thunder50
Senior Levergunner

Post by Thunder50 »

LGS has a 338wm Ruger #1 for sale
The meek shall inherit the earth, but I reserve the mineral rights!
All the knowledge in the world, is of no use to fools! (Eagles-long road out of Eden)