Leveritus Never Sleeps.......................

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
.45colt
Advanced Levergunner

Leveritus Never Sleeps.......................

Post by .45colt »

Think I'd learn by now. Momma needed gas in Her car and a couple things at the store, I go as She is taking down Christmas stuff. Across the street from the store is our local sporting goods, usually don't have much for Me but I did get the Marlin .218 Bee there last year at a give away price.
I stop in, not much new. most stuff is msrp. way down at the end of the rack next to the black rifles are a couple of used guns. There rests a Savage 99...vintage leather sling, Redfield Steel receiver peep, case colors on the lever. OMG. very, very good shape. 250-3000 Savage.$499.00. I was getting pretty weak and handed it to the Clerk. told Him I'll think about it. :o . Whew.Close Call.
jeepnik
Advanced Levergunner

Re: Leveritus Never Sleeps.......................

Post by jeepnik »

Go buy it now. You'll regret it later. Think of it as the opposite of buyers remorse. But buyers remorse lasts a very short time compared to what you will feel every time you think about that rifle in the future.
Jeepnik AKA "Old Eyes"
"Go low, go slow and preferably in the dark" The old Sarge (he was maybe 24.
"Freedom is never more that a generation from extinction" Ronald Reagan
"Every man should have at least one good rifle and know how to use it" Dad
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

.45Colt? You hear that little voice? You KNOW what it's telling you, don't you? :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
Lassiter
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Lassiter »

^^^^ What he said............jes sayin'
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

I knew I was smitten, when I realized that on the way home from the gun-store, I was already musing about what the next addition to my collection 'needed' to be... :? :lol:
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
PriseDeFer
Levergunner 2.0

Post by PriseDeFer »

.45colt, I Double Dog Dare You to go back and put that thing in your hands and put it down.
M. M. Wright
Advanced Levergunner

Post by M. M. Wright »

I haven't seen a 250 at that price for at least 10 years. I'm sure that sight is worth at least $100 so you'd be stealing the rifle. Go back and get it.
M. M. Wright, Sheriff, Green county Arkansas (1860)
Currently living my eternal life.
NRA Life
SASS
ITSASS
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

Daenna do it Mon. You'll regret it, be the butt of jokes for ages, if'n ye succumb to the tempering influence of them what would keep you from your destiny! ({n my best "Scotty" voice from StarTrek!}

What? You already have a Savage 99 in 250-3000? When are you likely to find another at such a price, in such good condition?
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
.45colt
Advanced Levergunner

Post by .45colt »

I just went back and looked it over again, didn't have my readers yesterday. not a Redfield but a Lyman receiver sight. everything else is very nice. no cracks in the stock, bore looks great, case colors on the lever. has been used but is very clean. One of our members from Wyoming sent me a p.m. about the gun and I put the ball in his court for now. I hope He buys it. :D .
Malamute
Member Emeritus

Post by Malamute »

Good. Hope the person in question buys it. Sounds like a nice rifle at a good price.

I was going to make some comment about it being a community service to buy it until somebody talked you out of it. Spreading the joy as it were.

Or perhaps enabling. :D
"Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs even though checkered by failure, than to rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy nor suffer much because they live in the gray twilight that knows neither victory nor defeat." -Theodore Roosevelt-

Isnt it amazing how many people post without reading the thread?
3leggedturtle
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 3leggedturtle »

The peep alone is good for $100,Please tell us you or a close friend bought it, I have a 24" 250. Almost like it more than my 30/30.
30/30 Winchester: Not accurate enough fer varmints, barely adequate for small deer; BUT In a 10" to 14" barrelled pistol; is good for moose/elk to 200 yards; ground squirrels to 300 metres

250 Savage... its what the 223 wishes it could be...!
.45colt
Advanced Levergunner

Post by .45colt »

It was tough to pass up, but it is now on it's way to another member of this forum. I'm pretty excited for Him as He said He has been looking for one for along time. :D .
ollogger
Advanced Levergunner

Post by ollogger »

OK, great big thanks to 45 Colt on this post & helping me out on getting this gun!!
not sure when it will get here but will have photos soon afterwards

ollogger
.45colt
Advanced Levergunner

Post by .45colt »

Just like a Kid at Christmas........... 8) 8) 8) .
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

ollogger wrote:OK, great big thanks to 45 Colt on this post & helping me out on getting this gun!!
not sure when it will get here but will have photos soon afterwards

ollogger

That's not the rifle you are looking for...sell it to Blaine...
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
ollogger
Advanced Levergunner

Post by ollogger »

Blaine, am going to put some more age on it before I even consider selling it, problem is I am sure the gun will out live me

Brad
Sixgun
Posting leader...
Location: S.E. Pa. Where The Finest Winchesters & Colts Reside

Post by Sixgun »

Many people do not understand the reality of buying out of print quality guns.....you are NOT spending money, you are investing money. Huge difference.....how much of a turn around do you get on paying an insurance bill, buying a bottle of liquor, going to see a 10 cent movie???

Buy that 99.....sounds like a fair price.....keep it...shoot it....fondle it....show it off.........just don't permanently non factory alter it......and then one day when you have had enough of it, sell it and you will always get your money back and usually pretty decent interest on top.-------6
Yes, It’s Mighty, No Need To Prove It…..
Daisyman
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Daisyman »

Six, I think you hit the nail right on the head. They absolutely are an investment and a darned good one, too. Folks buy new cars all the time and lose the price of three or four good rifles the minute they drive it off the showroom floor, and think nothing of it. How bout a round of golf? That nice new bass boat! camper! Try and keep your money together on those!! But that nice old rifle.....unless you give some ridiculous price over what it's worth, buy a GOOD one, take of it, use it for years, and sell it for a profit when you're done with it. What's not to like???? :wink: :wink:

Irv
marlinman93
Advanced Levergunner

Post by marlinman93 »

Sixgun wrote:Many people do not understand the reality of buying out of print quality guns.....you are NOT spending money, you are investing money. Huge difference.....how much of a turn around do you get on paying an insurance bill, buying a bottle of liquor, going to see a 10 cent movie???

Buy that 99.....sounds like a fair price.....keep it...shoot it....fondle it....show it off.........just don't permanently non factory alter it......and then one day when you have had enough of it, sell it and you will always get your money back and usually pretty decent interest on top.-------6
Amen!
Pre WWI Marlins and Singleshot rifles!
http://members.tripod.com/~OregonArmsCollectors/
horsesoldier03
Advanced Levergunner

Post by horsesoldier03 »

$499 isn't bad for a quality gun that they don't make anymore! You can guarantee that if they used the same manufacturing process, quality parts and craftsmanship to build a rifle like that today, the price would be near $1000.
“Gun control is like trying to reduce drunk driving by making it tougher for sober people to own cars.”
.45colt
Advanced Levergunner

Post by .45colt »

All I can say Guys is that I took a day or so and pondered getting this 99. In the mean time Ollogger (Brad) sends me a P.M. that if I don't want it would I send Him the contact information for the store. I have no use for the caliber as It fills no purpose for Me. Sure I could have picked it up and made a few hundred $$$. But here was a forum member who REALLY wanted it to SHOOT. I sent Him the contact information.
The Deal turned out to be much more than I knew, included several boxes of ammo and much more. Ollogger said He will try to post pictures soon.
Another forum member 86'r did the same thing for Me just for the reason I asked Him if He would. It was about a copy of Keith's Rifles For Large Game. It isn't always about the money.
OldWin
Advanced Levergunner

Post by OldWin »

Nice.

Good people here.
"Oh bother", said Pooh, as he chambered another round.
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

OldWin wrote:Nice.

Good people here.
Yep...
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "