Your go to Lever Gun?

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
cshold
Advanced Levergunner

Re: Your go to Lever Gun?

Post by cshold »

Very cool Phil 8)
tman
Advanced Levergunner

Post by tman »

M. M. Wright wrote:This fall it's been the Browning 86 carbine in 45-70, with barrel shortened to 19 inches to make it the same length as a 94 SRC. It sports a williams receiver sight, huge bead front and a sling.
What am I afraid of? Nothing!
:mrgreen: You're killing me with that :wink: Still looking for a GOOD smith to shorten mine.
Dusty Texian
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Dusty Texian »

This yr. for Wt. /Wild hog , it has been this 2Image4" oct. Half mag 1876 Winchester in 45/60wcf. ,,,,DT
rjohns94
Advanced Levergunner

Post by rjohns94 »

Dusty, what do you carry in your kit on the belt? Nice levergun
Mike Johnson,

"Only those who will risk going too far, can possibly find out how far one can go." T.S. Eliot
Dusty Texian
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Dusty Texian »

Thanks rjohns94, and sorry for the poor picture quality. That leather pouch holds(10) 45/60 wcf cartridges. The magazine on this half mag. holds (3) and one in the pipe . The extra ammo is for the times I run across a pack of wild hogs. I shoot them until they are gone. We are overrun with wild hogs in my area of Tx. Thats the reason for the two knives, when covered in dried mud they can dull a blade perty quick.,,,,,DT
Rube Burrows
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Rube Burrows »

Nice looking 76.
rjohns94
Advanced Levergunner

Post by rjohns94 »

Finally took a recent picture of mine:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Mike Johnson,

"Only those who will risk going too far, can possibly find out how far one can go." T.S. Eliot
Dusty Texian
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Dusty Texian »

This is a 1873 Winchester SRC. 44-40 that I restored a couple yrs. ago. It has become my Go To lever gun in the Spring and Summer months. The 73 SRC is a very handy rig , and the 44WCF can handle about aImagenything I run across .,,,DT
M. M. Wright
Advanced Levergunner

Post by M. M. Wright »

DT, I really like that 73 SRC and it's in my favorite caliber. You really nailed the color for a Winchester stock, the old originals had that red color to them.
I have a couple of 73s but lately I've been thinking I'd like an SRC, just for the handiness of it. I passed up one by Uberti at the Wanamacher just because I don't like the guy who was selling it. I know, when there is money involved we shouldn't let personalities come into it but I let it happen.
M. M. Wright, Sheriff, Green county Arkansas (1860)
Currently living my eternal life.
NRA Life
SASS
ITSASS
Rube Burrows
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Rube Burrows »

Dusty Texian wrote:This is a 1873 Winchester SRC. 44-40 that I restored a couple yrs. ago. It has become my Go To lever gun in the Spring and Summer months. The 73 SRC is a very handy rig , and the 44WCF can handle about aImagenything I run across .,,,DT

I agree. Great looking 73 and no doubt very handy.
Dusty Texian
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Dusty Texian »

Thanks fellers! M.M.Wright that wood was ordered from Precision Gun Works here in Kerrville Tx, The oil finish is a product callled ( Winchester stock oil. It is red in color and very thick. I reduced it with mineral spirits and rubbed it in, several coats over a month or so. Took forever to dry , but sank into the wood and is a very good finish. That little SRC is a handy dandy to carry around and shoulders good for me. It has been used to send many Wild Hog and Coyote to the prommised land! Cant deal with a feller I dont like either! Get you a SRC you will like it . ,,,DT
Streetstar
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Streetstar »

guido4198 wrote:For generic "Go-To" purposes...toss in the truck for those days running around the S.E. Georgia swamp roads..
My Marlin 45/70 Guide Gun gets the nod more than anything else:
Mine is similar to Guido's - i dont have a pic handy so i am re-posting his -

1895 Marlin ported Guide Gun with a scope - it is always stoked with FTX Hornady loads as they are cheap for factory ammo, and it is sighted in with them, the 325 gr pills also do not recoil much for such a big gun

The way the gun, the load, and the scope are dialled in makes me feel like i'm wielding the hammer of Thor
----- Doug
hayabusa
Levergunner 2.0

Post by hayabusa »

Dusty Texian that is the way Winchester wood should look I think. Where does one purchase the Winchester stock oil. Is that the product name to look for?

busa
Dusty Texian
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Dusty Texian »

hayabusa it is called (Winchester Stock oil). Distributed by : Winchester restoration Products. Don Hardcastle , TexasBear10@aim.com 254-848-4755 . Dont know if he still sells it? I bought this bottle a couple yr. back . ,,,DT
veeman
Levergunner 2.0

Post by veeman »

For knocking around on the farm and CAS matches, my Rossi 92 in 44-40 is my go to rifle.
For fun on the bench and target shooting, Uberti 1876 in 45-75.
Or Browning 1886 SRC
Shrapnel
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Shrapnel »

From gophers to deer, it would be hard to beat a model 1895 in 40-72...

hayabusa
Levergunner 2.0

Post by hayabusa »

Dusty Texian thanks for the quick reply. It is being sold on E-Bay for $20.00 + $3.50 shipping for a 4 ounce bottle. He will e-mail the instructions for anyone to see if they want to take the time to do the refinish work before you buy. Seems like a nice fellow.

busa