41 Mag ammo?

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Old Savage
Posting leader...

41 Mag ammo?

Post by Old Savage »

Copper plated bullets at 1,000 fps vs full power factory jacketed loads .Any experience? 4 5/8" Ruger BH
In the High Desert of Southern Calif. ..."on the cutting edge of going back in time"...

Ray Newman
Advanced Levergunner

Re: 41 Mag ammo?

Post by Ray Newman »

Ol' Savage: I have a Ruger Black Hawk 6.5" and a Ruger Accusport Bisley 5.5" as well as a Marlin 1894 FG 41 magnums.

I only shoot paper. Have loaded the Remington .41 210 grain bullet (bought in bulk from Midway) and Berry's copper plated 210 grain bullets. Berry's are loaded with Unique --8.7 grains-- for about 1050 FPS. I do not recall the powder and charge from the Remington bullets. Both are fired off with a large pistol primer. Have never loaded Berry's in the Marlin.

I am not the world's best pistol shot and I could not see any difference on the target between the two bullet types. With the Berry bullets there is no leading and the slight copper fouling and powder residue cleans up easily.

Info on the Berry 210 grain .41 man bullet: http://www.berrysmfg.com/product-i15104 ... 250ct.aspx

I am well satisfied with Berry bullets and load them in .45 Colts, .38 and .44 Specials, and mu .45-70's.
The most important aspect of this signature line is that you don't realize it doesn't say anything significant until you are just about done reading it & then it is too late to stop reading it....
Grand Poo Bah WA F.E.S.

In real life may you be the bad butt that you claim to be on social media.
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

Thank you Ray. I appreciate your reply. I picked up 250 rds of new loads in Starline brass. Used a lot of Berry's a long time ago. Just wondered what the experience was in the 41, thanks.
In the High Desert of Southern Calif. ..."on the cutting edge of going back in time"...

Ray Newman
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Ray Newman »

Ol' Savage: forgot to add that Berry Bullets provided the above Unique load.
The most important aspect of this signature line is that you don't realize it doesn't say anything significant until you are just about done reading it & then it is too late to stop reading it....
Grand Poo Bah WA F.E.S.

In real life may you be the bad butt that you claim to be on social media.
Chuck 100 yd
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Chuck 100 yd »

I have several .41 mags. None of mine have ever seen a true jacketed bullet but do well with Berrys copper plated bullets at cast bullet velocitys. I have never used those bullets on game though.
missionary5155
Levergunner 3.0

Post by missionary5155 »

Howdy Old Savage
Are the Copper Plated lead bullets viewed as being acceptable in your area of California ? Is this a requirement ?
I have only shot my cast for the last 30 years plus in caliber 41 mag. 1000 fps is easy to make with cast bullets.

The big issue is the right diameter. Have several RBH's in 41 mag. First task was to be sure all the cylinder throats were the same diameter. Once that is done then accuracy improved drastically and leading disappeared with the correct throat diameter used.
So other than being forced to use the plated bullets I would not mess with them unless you just like them. But still you must address the RBH throats being the same diameter and match the bullets to that.

Hopefully you do not have one of those barrels that was crushed fitted to the frame causing that area to be less in diameter. That is another bug-a-boo RBH's have suffered.
Mike in Peru
A sinner saved by FAITH in the Blood of Jesus Christ &teaching God´s Word in Peru. John 3:36
Tanker 71-74 NRA Life Ready to Defend the Constitution from enemies within and without.
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

Mike, what would you consider the correct measurements for the issues you named? These bullets are what came with some newly loaded ammo with Starline brass. Just using them for target shooting.

Streetstar
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Streetstar »

Dammmit --- nothing to add -- but my local funstore has a later model Smith 57 i just remembered about that i should go put in layaway

Always wanted a .41 and as a 10mm fan, it seems like a natural fit --- as both cartridges used to be considered weird but are now gaining traction in the hearts and minds i think
----- Doug
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

Cylinder throats appear to all measure .410.

Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

Tried fitting the base of a Sierra 210 in each of the cylinder chamber mouths and found a snug fit in each by hand.