Can static electricity ignite black powder? Read this...

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
cubrock
Levergunner 2.0

Can static electricity ignite black powder? Read this...

Post by cubrock »

J Miller
Member Emeritus

Post by J Miller »

Hmmmmmmmm, that's interesting.

I can't count how many times I've read: "Do not shake this container, static electricity may ignite the powder."

Again .......... Hmmmmm

Joe
TedH
Advanced Levergunner

Post by TedH »

Neat experiment. Makes sense, given the carbon content of the powder.
cas
Senior Levergunner

Post by cas »

And yet, CVA has come out with an electronically fired muzzle loader.

Besides that... not all sparks are the same. :wink:
Slow is just slow.
cubrock
Levergunner 2.0

Post by cubrock »

cas wrote: not all sparks are the same. :wink:

That is true! Still a NEAT experiment.
Scott64A
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Scott64A »

That's some cool stuff right there...
And NOW you know!
Pisgah
Senior Levergunner

Post by Pisgah »

Early in the last century, extensive experiments were done in Germany to see if static electricity could ignite black powder. Massive generators were used to apply a couple of million volts -- far more than you could ever get in an accidental situation -- with no ignition. The conclusion was that even high voltages of static electricity simply would not generate the heat needed for ignition.
cas
Senior Levergunner

Post by cas »

[quote="Pisgah"]...to see if static electricity could ignite black powder. Massive generators were used to apply a couple of million volts(/quote]

Hmmm. I've seen it ignite trees and houses. But not black powder :?:
Slow is just slow.
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

I bet if you took really fine BP and dumped it onto a spark it might ignite (explode). Just figuring this is similiar to an organic powder dust explosion (like what happens in grain storage silos).

I happen to sell a cellulose-based powder for the company I work for. You could do the same thing - "spark" it, even burn it, and it would probably react similiarly. However, disperse it in air (thickly) and add an ignition source, and it goes "boom" in a big way!
Rusty
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Rusty »

I'm not sure if the test proves that it's 100% safe to use plastic tubes for pouring black powder through but for me I think I'll not just the same.

When I was hauling gas in a tanker we always grounded everything when we were loading and unloading. In fact if we used a bucket to drain a small amount of gas from a valve it had to be metal with no plastic on it at all so there would be no chance it would be insulated enough to cause a spark.

Now that this has come to mind I also remember refueling the Dept. Helicopter when I work for the S.O. The first thing we always did there was to attach a grounding wire to a stud.

I guess I'm just chicken. You know what they say... You can tell some folks and they'll believe you. Others, well they just have to pee on the electric fence for themselves.

Rusty <><
If you're gonna be stupid ya gotta be tough-
Isiah 55:8&9

It's easier to fool people than it is to convince them they have been fooled.
cubrock
Levergunner 2.0

Post by cubrock »

Ysabel Kid wrote:I bet if you took really fine BP and dumped it onto a spark it might ignite (explode). Just figuring this is similiar to an organic powder dust explosion (like what happens in grain storage silos).

I happen to sell a cellulose-based powder for the company I work for. You could do the same thing - "spark" it, even burn it, and it would probably react similiarly. However, disperse it in air (thickly) and add an ignition source, and it goes "boom" in a big way!

A cellulose-based powder will have fairly high electrical resistance, allowing the particles to heat up enough to ignite. The explanation for the experiment results with the BP is that it has a low resistance, so the electricity moves on through the particles without heating them up to ignition temp.

I'm not advocating anyone do any particular thing based on this experiment. I just thought folks here would find it interesting.
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Post by J Miller »

So, and correct me if I'm wrong, black powder does not have enough resistance to heat up and ignite with static electrical sparks. But requires sparks that are from a heat producing source such as primers, flint, or percussion caps to ignite.

That seems to be what I'm reading.

Joe
cubrock
Levergunner 2.0

Post by cubrock »

J Miller wrote:So, and correct me if I'm wrong, black powder does not have enough resistance to heat up and ignite with static electrical sparks. But requires sparks that are from a heat producing source such as primers, flint, or percussion caps to ignite.

That seems to be what I'm reading.

Joe
That is basically what I am understanding, too.
JReed
Advanced Levergunner

Post by JReed »

That makes sence. With the high carbon content I imagine that the resistance is next to nothing some were around the hundredths of an Ohm mark. Not enough to heat up to the point of ignition. I still wouldnt temp the fates though all you need is to have a metal partical mixed with the powder to ruin your whole day.
Jeremy
GySgt USMC Ret

To err is human, To forgive is devine, Neither of which is Marine Corps policy
Semper Fidelis
gamekeeper
Spambot Zapper

Post by gamekeeper »

Hell guys, I sometimes have enough trouble getting ignition with a FLINT!!! :D
Last edited by gamekeeper on Mon Oct 01, 2007 12:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Whatever you do always give 100%........... unless you are donating blood.
cubrock
Levergunner 2.0

Post by cubrock »

Saloon slug wrote:That makes sence. With the high carbon content I imagine that the resistance is next to nothing some were around the hundredths of an Ohm mark. Not enough to heat up to the point of ignition. I still wouldnt temp the fates though all you need is to have a metal partical mixed with the powder to ruin your whole day.

Actually, all you need is some other particle with high enough resistance to create the heat required for ignition!
rjohns94
Advanced Levergunner

static electricity

Post by rjohns94 »

VERY KEWL post . thanks.
JReed
Advanced Levergunner

Post by JReed »

cubrock yes any conductive mater with enough resistance would work I only used metal as an example because it would be more comon due to Goex coming in a metal container. But yes there are lots of things that would do the job. Thanks for pointing that out.
Jeremy
GySgt USMC Ret

Semper Fidelis
cubrock
Levergunner 2.0

Post by cubrock »

Saloon slug wrote:cubrock yes any conductive mater with enough resistance would work I only used metal as an example because it would be more comon due to Goex coming in a metal container. But yes there are lots of things that would do the job. Thanks for pointing that out.

Whatever material it was, I wouldn't want to be around to witness it! :shock:
JReed
Advanced Levergunner

Post by JReed »

Me neither brother :shock:
Jeremy
GySgt USMC Ret

Semper Fidelis
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

Chickens. Here I thought you guys (cubrock and Saloon Slug) were going to do your own science-fair experiment!

Reminds me of something we do down here. What's the last thing a redneck says? "Ya 'all come here and watch this!"

I ressemble that remark!
handirifle
Senior Levergunner

Post by handirifle »

Where the problem, a potentially deadly one, could surface, is if something else gets in the mix that DOES have enough resistance to ignite even one grain of BP, it will light the rest. And the rest will be history.

I'd say stick to what the factories recommend for safety. The GOEX plany just caught fire a while back, and you can bet someone didn't follow procedure 100%.
Hobie

Post by Hobie »

The USS Iowa...
On 19 April 1989, an explosion ripped through the number two 16 inch (406 mm) gun turret, killing 47 crewmen. Sailors quickly flooded the #2 powder magazine, likely preventing catastrophic damage to the ship. At first, the NCIS investigators theorized that one of the dead crewman, Clayton Hartwig, had detonated an explosive device in a suicide attempt after the end of an alleged homosexual affair with another sailor. This theory was later abandoned and Hartwig cleared. The cause of the explosion, though never determined with certainty, is generally believed to have been static electricity igniting loose powder.

Testing at the Naval Surface Warfare Center in Dalhgren, Virginia of powder in the same lot was able to reproduce spontaneous combustion of the powder, which had been originally milled in the 1930s and stored during a 1988 dry-docking of the Iowa in a barge at the Naval Weapons Station in Yorktown, Virginia. Gunpowder gives off ether gas as it degrades; the ether is highly flammable, and can be ignited by a spark. The captain of the Iowa, Fred Moosally, was severely criticized for his handling of the matter, and the Navy changed the powder-handling procedures. Iowa deployed to Europe and the Mediterranean Sea in mid-year. Turret Two remained unrepaired when the battleship was decommissioned in Norfolk for the last time, 26 October 1990.
Sincerely,

Hobie

"We are all travelers in the wilderness of this world, and the best that we find in our travels is an honest friend." Robert Louis Stevenson
w30wcf
Senior Levergunner

Post by w30wcf »

Hobie,
I remember... but that was with smokeless powder (The rear bag does contain a bit of b.p. to help ignition of the slower burning smokeless.).

Somewhat related to the topic ........ several years ago a firend told me that fast burning smokeless will ignite faster than b.p. with an open flame. I said, nope, b.p. will ignite faster.

To prove his point, he put a small gty. of Unique on a stone and applied a flame to it with a match...it went up fast. He then put the same small qty of b.p. and did the same thing. Result, it was noticably slower to ignite.

I have since demonstrated it myself after asking friends the same question and getting the answer that b.p. would ignite faster with an open flame. They were as surprised :shock: as I once was.

w30wcf
aka John Kort
aka Jack Christian SASS 11993 "I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me." Philippians 4:13
aka w44wcf (black powder)
NRA Life member
.22 WCF, .30 WCF, .44 WCF Cartridge Historian