Nice morning at the range

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
jnyork
Advanced Levergunner

Nice morning at the range

Post by jnyork »

Beautiful sunny day in Yuma this morning for our weekly lever action silhouette match, we get about 35 guys out at 0830 to shoot rifle and shoot the bull. Temps were a little cool at 45 degrees when we started, but up to about 60 a little later.

Managed a 29x40 with my Marlin 39A, 28x40 with my Uberti 1873 rifle in 44-40. Bunch of us went for lunch afterwards.

Somebody has to do it. :D

Alphawolf45
Levergunner 2.0

Re: Nice morning at the range

Post by Alphawolf45 »

My club wont shoot another silhouette match till mid January.. This thread and that picture has me envious. I enjoy reading about it almost as much as doing it. .Keep threads like this coming, surely I am not the only shooter suffering withdrawal symptoms. :D
gamekeeper
Spambot Zapper

Post by gamekeeper »

Sounds like a nice way to spend your time... 8)
Like Alphawolf45 said keep 'em coming... :D
Whatever you do always give 100%........... unless you are donating blood.
Shasta
Senior Levergunner
Location: Shasta County, the far right stronghold in California

Post by Shasta »

Good shooting! I would be very happy with those scores! :mrgreen:

I love to shoot any kind of silhouette and am fortunate to be able to shoot the lever action disciplines year 'round at Hat Creek Rifle & Pistol Club near Burney, CA. We shoot monthly matches and our participation is much lower than yours, usually about a dozen shooters. Last weekend it was 30 degrees when I arrived for our Smallbore Cowboy Rifle matches at 8:00a.m., but warmed up to 50 or so by noon.
I didn't do so hot as the firing pin on my 1955 Marlin 39A broke on the second shot of the day, putting it out of commission. First time it has ever let me down. I did have a Model 61 pump Winchester along, but did not have sight settings, so lost most of the first five animals getting sight settings. I discovered that the fiber optic front sight on it covered the whole target, making it difficult to aim. I finished with a 31/60, the lowest score I've ever shot since starting nearly ten years ago. :(
I've got two new firing pins ordered for my Marlin so I will have a back-up pin from now on. And I'm replacing that fiber optic on my Winchester with a Lyman 17A globe! I should have better luck next month.

Shasta
California Rifle & Pistol Association LIFE Member
National Rifle Association BENEFACTOR LIFE Member

http://www.hcrpclub.org/schedule.html

avatar pic is Shasta Dam, Shasta Lake, & Mt. Shasta
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

You're kiddin' us right? I know for a fact there's no bulls in Silhouette shooting. What targets are you guys using? :twisted: :P :P
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
jnyork
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jnyork »

Griff wrote:You're kiddin' us right? I know for a fact there's no bulls in Silhouette shooting. What targets are you guys using? :twisted: :P :P
Can't see 'em, sure can hear 'em. :lol:
earlmck
Advanced Levergunner

Post by earlmck »

Man, it would be fun to join your bunch, Jerry.

I haven't been to Yuma in 50 years. Good friend Jack Peccolo was in the Border Patrol there, and when my grey floaty-thing was parked at San Diego or Long Beach I would take the bus over there and shoot revolvers with him at the Border Patrol range. I remember mighty nice weather (in the wintertime).
The greatest patriot...
is he who heals the most gullies.
Patrick Henry
jnyork
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jnyork »

earlmck wrote:Man, it would be fun to join your bunch, Jerry.

I haven't been to Yuma in 50 years. Good friend Jack Peccolo was in the Border Patrol there, and when my grey floaty-thing was parked at San Diego or Long Beach I would take the bus over there and shoot revolvers with him at the Border Patrol range. I remember mighty nice weather (in the wintertime).
Half of Oregon is down here in the wintertime, Earl. Hook on your camper and come on down, we'll save a spot on the firing line for you. :D
Bill in Oregon
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Bill in Oregon »

Wonderful to know someone is getting out in relatively warm sunshine and enjoying the "presence of congenial shooting companions."
A friend in California -- Buckshot on Castboolits -- used to have a weekly "burrito shoot" that was very similar in terms of cameraderie -- and nice to read about.
JerryB
Advanced Levergunner

Post by JerryB »

Jerry, my daughter has been in Yuma for some 25 years. She is a real levergun shooter. I have tried to get to get in touch with you. She just doesn't have the time now , her husband a retired marine is in pretty bad health now. She does enjoy reloading and shooting.
JerryB II Corinthians 3:17, Now the Lord is that Spirit: and where the Spirit of the Lord is, there is liberty.

JOSHUA 24:15
Shasta
Senior Levergunner

Post by Shasta »

Griff wrote:You're kiddin' us right? I know for a fact there's no bulls in Silhouette shooting. What targets are you guys using? :twisted: :P :P

At Hat Creek Rifle & Pistol Club, we use standard NRA half-size steel targets, 15 targets of each animal on steel racks set in 3 banks of 5 animals. Chickens are at 40 meters, Pigs are at 50 meters, Turkeys are at 75 meters, and Rams are at 100 meters. Final scores are written as the number of hits by the number of available targets (45x60 means 45 hits out of 60 targets shot at). We don;t always get good weather, but our facility has a roof over the firing so we shoot year 'round.

Shasta

Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

Shasta, mainly, I was yankin' his chain... :P Jealous mostly, as I'm stuck inside with flooding in the yard and in the reloading shop! Hopefully it'll dry out soon and I can get a diversion darn or drainage redone around the barn... before my new reloading benches become useless.
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
jnyork
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jnyork »

Shasta wrote:

At Hat Creek Rifle & Pistol Club, we use standard NRA half-size steel targets, 15 targets of each animal on steel racks set in 3 banks of 5 animals. Chickens are at 40 meters, Pigs are at 50 meters, Turkeys are at 75 meters, and Rams are at 100 meters. Final scores are written as the number of hits by the number of available targets (45x60 means 45 hits out of 60 targets shot at). We don;t always get good weather, but our facility has a roof over the firing so we shoot year 'round.

Shasta
Hmmm, our range looks almost exactly like your range. :wink:

Shasta
Senior Levergunner

Post by Shasta »

Hmmm, our range looks almost exactly like your range. :wink:

Image[/quote]

Yep, exactly the same, only different. :P

I wish we had the room to single line our targets. It would eliminate those embarrassing times when an inopportune hit on the rack creates vibration that takes out several targets at once!

Hey Griff,

Send that excess water out my way, we are in an extended drought here. A fella with your pull ought to be able to arrange that, right? :wink:

Shasta

Nath
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Nath »

Nice photo Jerry.

N. :)
Psalm ch8.