Opening day success with the 44 Cowboy limited

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
EdinCT
Levergunner 3.0

Opening day success with the 44 Cowboy limited

Post by EdinCT »

Today was the opener for Connecticut rifle season. I took the day off and hunted a farm around the corner. The wood lot I usually hunt has a rock crusher operating in the field next to it so hunted a 115 acre patch that I have never done so well in.
I walked in to an area that I have seen buck activity before and sat overlooking low area with a stream running through it.
Around 10 am just about to give it up and call it a day I saw a buck passing around 100 yards in the brush. I tried to stop him with a mouth grunt but he was turning toward the stream which would be the property line.
I saw his head go through an opening and shot has his body entered. He jumped and ran toward me to around 40 yards and cut back towards where he came from. I shot again and tried to lever the gun and jambed my glove in the bolt hammer area (that was a first).
I felt good about the first shot but the second shot I worried I didn't lead enough.
Well he ran away where I could see bits of him for 150 yards or so and jumped a wall.His tail was clamped down hard but he never seemed to weaken.
I gave him an hour and checked for evidence. My first shot hit him under the brisket about 2" up from the bottom.( lots of white hair :oops: ) the second I found no blood for 75 yards and then good blood for 30 yards or so but it dried up. I was heading towards where I thought he went and saw a tree sprayed red 1' in dia. another 30 yards and I saw what appeared to be a horn which it was when I looked through the binoculars. I snapped a twig and no movement so I approached him with caution and found him very dead.
He had traveled 150 yards after being hit with a 240 gr softpoint speer loaded over 24 gr of 296 through his lungs. My second shot was much better than I thought my first not anywhere near has good has I believed. I have just in the last few years started to keep firing until I was sure and I am glad I did today.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by EdinCT on Thu Nov 19, 2015 5:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
missionary5155
Levergunner 3.0

Re: Opening day success with the 44 Cowboy limited

Post by missionary5155 »

Greetings and Congratulations !
You did the right thing. An old Sarge used to tell us " Shoot again...ammo is cheap". Far better to have one too many leaking holes than the reverse issue. You have set the table for some good eating.
Mike in Peru
A sinner saved by FAITH in the Blood of Jesus Christ &teaching God´s Word in Peru. John 3:36
Tanker 71-74 NRA Life Ready to Defend the Constitution from enemies within and without.
Daisyman
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Daisyman »

A few years ago, a buddy and I were hunting with .348's, him a Browning and me a Winny. He also shot one through the brisket and he bled like a stuck hog for while. We tracked for a least a mile and a half in the snow, getting down to a drop at a time. He made a big circle and my friend says, "I know where's going. Circle around that hill and he'll come out in a draw at the other end". Sure enough, I was about 100 yards away and saw him sneaking through the trees. I took a snap shot and dropped him cold! "WOW", I thought, and walked up there and had hit him right at the top of the head and shot one if his antlers off. :lol: No wonder he stopped!! Of course, that's right where I was aimin'. You betcha! :wink:
hondo1892
Senior Levergunner

Post by hondo1892 »

Ed, nice deer. I have always shot until they dropped or out of site. But I hunted public land for years and you didn't want the deer to make it to the next guy. I have my own little farm now for the past ten years and just counted up all the deer that have been shot since we bought it.
wolfdog
Levergunner 3.0

Post by wolfdog »

Good job!
Old No7
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Old No7 »

Well done!

Glad your took the 2nd shot.

Old No7
"Freedom and the Second Amendment... One cannot exist without the other." © 2000 DTH
plowboy 45
Senior Levergunner

Post by plowboy 45 »

Good shootin there Ed
octagon
Senior Levergunner

Post by octagon »

Real fine looking animal, good going!
.45colt
Advanced Levergunner

Post by .45colt »

Good Hunt!! And some Good Eating too. :mrgreen: .
Pete44ru
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pete44ru »

octagon wrote:Real fine looking animal, good going!

Nice cocker, you have there, Ed - Congrats !

1894c

Post by 1894c »

nice deer...thanks for posting... :)
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

:mrgreen: :mrgreen:
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
6pt-sika
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 6pt-sika »

Nice !
Parkers , Mannlicher Schoenauer’s , 6.5mm's and my family in the Philippines !
Ji in Hawaii
Senior Levergunner

Post by Ji in Hawaii »

Congratulations, or as we say here in the islands ho'omaika'i!
I personally have never had to shoot twice using my Marlin 44 mag the last 40 year, but then again I have never shot a whitetail. When hunting with Joe Rieker back in 2008 using my 357 mag single shot rifle and 158 grain factory Winchester JSP ammo I shot a Blackbuck doe at about 30 yards making a "perfect" heart/lung shot. It started to just walk away like it was not hit. Like I usually do I waited for it to drop any moment. Joe told me to shoot it again which I did , again another "perfect shot" but "terminator" doe just kept on walking away. Joe said to keep on shooting until it drops! One more well placed shot and it finally went down! All three shots were "kill" shots but nobody told that doe. This very same gun has killed numerous wild nanny goats on Maui which are about the same size, no problemo. I was amazed at how much lead this little beastie could absorb. The mouflon sheep here have the same tenacious reputation.
Keep on shooting until it drops. Lesson learned.
Illegitimus Non Carborundum
Akā, ʻo ka poʻe hilinaʻi aku iā Iēhova, e ulu hou nō ko lākou ikaika;
E piʻi ʻēheu aku nō lākou i luna, e like me nā ʻaito;
E holo nō lākou, ʻaʻole hoʻi e māloʻeloʻe,
E hele mua nō lākou, ʻaʻole hoʻi e maʻule.
`Isaia 40:31
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

Sometimes, premium high quality bullets won't open up on soft targets..... :wink: In CONUS, Core Lokt or their equivalent are pretty darn good (not elk...)
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
JerryB
Advanced Levergunner

Post by JerryB »

Blaine, I agree 150 percent, for store bought ammo I have never had a CoreLokt one shot DRT failure.
JerryB II Corinthians 3:17, Now the Lord is that Spirit: and where the Spirit of the Lord is, there is liberty.

JOSHUA 24:15
Les Staley
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Les Staley »

Ed, congrats on a real nice buck! Bet you're glad you kept on shooting. Many nice meals right there!
This is plagiarized from someone else, but I love it!

I was born a gun owner.
It wasn't a choice.
I didn't become one later in life.
I was born this way.
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

Congrats! :D
Paladin
Senior Levergunner

Post by Paladin »

Well done
It is not the critic who counts
Nath
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Nath »

Well done bud. Take yer glove off next time. :wink:

N.
Psalm ch8.

Because I wish I could!
Rusty
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Rusty »

Congratulations!
If you're gonna be stupid ya gotta be tough-
Isiah 55:8&9

It's easier to fool people than it is to convince them they have been fooled.
EdinCT
Levergunner 3.0

Post by EdinCT »

Blaine\Jerry I agree about the corlokt's but I don't believe they are available in the 44. This was a 240 gr Speer gold dot softpoint. They have opened up well and driven through on deer and coyotes for me and are bonded. I will have to go with a plan soft point soon though because I only have about 15 gold dots left. The gold dots shot better than any other bullets but Speer has replaced them with a fusion bullet and I have haven't found them in stock. I have a old friend in his 80's that swears the corlokt's get better after they have been cycled through the mag and get flattened tips :wink:
Nath if you could teach me how to get these bucks to sit and stay I will try to get my glove off :) .
I found my gloves with the fitted leather thumb and trigger finger yesterday so better late than never.
Nath
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Nath »

:D you done OK bud.
Psalm ch8.

Because I wish I could!
6pt-sika
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 6pt-sika »

FWIW , I had a 1894CB in 44 MAG with the 24" barrel and checkered stocks . I had the thing set up for lever action silhouette with the Lyman 429244 255 grain GC SWC bullet , but I'd not been afraid to shoot deer inside 125 yards with it as set up .

I always used H-110 but in reality 110 and 296 are the same thing .

Anyway over the past 10-15 years it's been my preference for cast in both the 44 MAG and the 444 . I suspect in your 1894CB the Ranch Dog 432-240GC or even the Ranch Dog 432-265GC just might be the ticket with a stout load of H-110 or W296 .

Now with that being said my favourite all time jacketed bullet for a 44 MAG had to be hands down the Nosler 250 grain Partition Gold , I killed quite a few deer with that in a sabot in my Knight Disc ML's , one or two in a 44 MAG rifle just so I could say I had and another in a Marlin 444P . But like so so many other bullets I've liked over the years they DISCONTINUED it .

Kinda on a side knot about the furthest I ever shot a deer with a 44 MAG was done with a little Marlin 1894P I had loaded with that Nosler 250 PT Gold bullet and I had my old Leupold Vari XII 1-4 on top . Anyway I swatted the doe at a measured 135 yards and swear to God it was the steryotypical boom flop !
Parkers , Mannlicher Schoenauer’s , 6.5mm's and my family in the Philippines !
Ji in Hawaii
Senior Levergunner

Post by Ji in Hawaii »

BlaineG wrote:Sometimes, premium high quality bullets won't open up on soft targets..... :wink: In CONUS, Core Lokt or their equivalent are pretty darn good (not elk...)
No thanks, the only factory ammo l have ever had misfires with was Remington ammo.
That combined with what they did to the Marlin, and H&R brands have forever turned me away from Remington products.
Illegitimus Non Carborundum
Akā, ʻo ka poʻe hilinaʻi aku iā Iēhova, e ulu hou nō ko lākou ikaika;
E piʻi ʻēheu aku nō lākou i luna, e like me nā ʻaito;
E holo nō lākou, ʻaʻole hoʻi e māloʻeloʻe,
E hele mua nō lākou, ʻaʻole hoʻi e maʻule.
`Isaia 40:31