More success !

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
6pt-sika
Advanced Levergunner

More success !

Post by 6pt-sika »

Got another this evening about 17:15 which was about 10 minutes before legal shooting time was over .

Thought it was a doe but it turned out to be a decent sized button . He was at 35 yards and I shot him with my circa 1967 Marlin 444 with a Leupold 3-9 on top shooting the Lyman 429244 GC SWC pushed with 53 grains of H322 and lit with a CCI200 .

At the crack of the rifle the deer hit the ground enough said !

Next up in this rifle the Saeco #431 250 gr RNFP GC bullet with H322 !

Two pics of the button !

That was when I got back to the house as of now he's all cut up and his heart in is a bowl of salt water in the frig !

Parkers , Mannlicher Schoenauer’s , 6.5mm's and my family in the Philippines !
ollogger
Advanced Levergunner

Re: More success !

Post by ollogger »

That ought to be a tasty one!! I MAY go elk hunting later on & my choice if I am presented with
the choice will be a calf, they say they are supreme?

ollogger
6pt-sika
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 6pt-sika »

ollogger wrote:That ought to be a tasty one!! I MAY go elk hunting later on & my choice if I am presented with
the choice will be a calf, they say they are supreme?

ollogger
If I ever get the opportunity for elk I suspect it will be a cow or calf . Got a friend that has a place in Ennis MT and he tells me a cow/calf at some place he knows would be a chip shot so to speak . Sounds like the perfect place for my Retro 444P with my MM/RD 432-365GC bullet !
plowboy 45
Senior Levergunner

Post by plowboy 45 »

Fine shootin there 6pt
rjohns94
Advanced Levergunner

Post by rjohns94 »

Congrats
Mike Johnson,

"Only those who will risk going too far, can possibly find out how far one can go." T.S. Eliot
Nath
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Nath »

444 strikes again, very in unappreciated cal.
Well done bud.

N.
Psalm ch8.

Because I wish I could!
Old No7
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Old No7 »

Nicely done!

Related questions...

I hung my button buck for 3 days (per the local meat cutter) but it was hung head-up so any fluids drained out and not into the chest...

Is there a right way or wrong way? I notice yours was head-down -- but maybe that's cause you cut it up right away?

Old No7
"Freedom and the Second Amendment... One cannot exist without the other." © 2000 DTH
6pt-sika
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 6pt-sika »

Old No7 wrote:Nicely done!

Related questions...

I hung my button buck for 3 days (per the local meat cutter) but it was hung head-up so any fluids drained out and not into the chest...

Is there a right way or wrong way? I notice yours was head-down -- but maybe that's cause you cut it up right away?

Old No7
The way you hang them is pretty much a preference thing .

I like hanging them by the hocks and "if" I'm gonna leave them overnight or a day or two I'll go to the throat cut the windpipe out and then flush the body cavity with cold water . With the windpipe out I then take a stick and jab it down the throat so any stuff will go thru the whole and let all the water drain out . I've been doing it this way for well over 30 years I'd say .
octagon
Senior Levergunner

Post by octagon »

Good :D
6pt-sika
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 6pt-sika »

Had a twofer today !

In the morning I got one with my circa 1889 Parker EH 10 gauge loaded with handloaded 000 Buck in both barrels . Shot this young lady at 15 yards and as one might expect DRT !

Then this evening early on I had my circa 1966 Retro 444P loaded with the RCBS 44-300GC SWC pushed with 50 grain of H322 and set off with a CCI200 primer and a nice old Leupold Vari XII 1-4x on top . Shot her at 18 yards maybe an hour after I went up the tree .

Nath
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Nath »

Am impressed. I don't know of anyone that tests and does so well with buck shot as you. :D
Psalm ch8.

Because I wish I could!
6pt-sika
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 6pt-sika »

Nath wrote:Am impressed. I don't know of anyone that tests and does so well with buck shot as you. :D
Thanks for the compliment !

But actually you need to understand , when I get to my tree I generally have a rifle and a side by side . So if a deer comes inside 25 yards and gives me a shot I'm comfortable taking with buckshot I shoot . Otherwise I use the rifle that's always hanging on the side of whatever tree I may be perched in .
Old No7
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Old No7 »

Well done -- again! And again!

And thanks for the "hanging deer" info above in response to my questions.

Old No7
"Freedom and the Second Amendment... One cannot exist without the other." © 2000 DTH
6pt-sika
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 6pt-sika »

Old No7 wrote:Well done -- again! And again!

And thanks for the "hanging deer" info above in response to my questions.

Old No7
I'm sure there are others that don't agree with my way of dealing with a deer carcass . But it's worked for me for 40 years .

A few years back I got up one sunday morning and had seven deer hanging . Four had been killed the day before(I got 2 and a friend got 2) and the other three in the two days before . Anyway it was supposed to get up to 70 degrees that sunday . So I was up at 7AM skinning deer . I had cut them all and finished packaging by 3PM and buddy my butt was beat . Doing seven by ones self isn't fun :wink:

I think it was 15 to 20 years ago I had all the deer I'd killed that year boned out and frozen in the freezer . So I borrowed a big electric meat grinder from a friend and got a bunch of beef fat . Another friend and I started grinding meat . We worked at it steady for almost three hours and when we were done we had a little over 300 pounds of packaged venison burger . I gave my friend what he wanted which was maybe 12 pounds and the rest I donated to the food pantry my mothers minister ran . I averaged giving that food pantry 250 pounds of venison a year for about ten years . Now we keep it and use it for lunch at the gunshop . Oh I don't donate the backstraps or the inner tenderloin gotta keep something for myself .
plowboy 45
Senior Levergunner

Post by plowboy 45 »

Dang 6pt your havin a good run on em
I've killed 1 squirrel this evening :oops: :oops: but he was shore tasty