Monte Walsh - Lee Marvin version

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Monte Walsh - Lee Marvin version

Post by J Miller »

There has been a lot of discussion about the two Monte Walsh movies. The Lee Marvin vs Tom Selleck version. I've seen the Tom Selleck version many times as I have it on DVD, but I've never seen the Lee Marvin version, until today. I found it on You-Tube.
Both versions tell the same story, but from slightly different perspectives. The Lee Marvin version leaves out a lot of details the Selleck version adds, but both versions are to me a melancholy love story with a sad ending.

If you haven't seen both versions, you can find them on You-Tube for free.

Joe
***Be sneaky, get closer, bust the cap on him when you can put the ball where it counts ;) .***
gamekeeper
Spambot Zapper

Re: Monte Walsh - Lee Marvin version

Post by gamekeeper »

I enjoyed both Monte Walsh movies, great but sad story well acted in both versions.
Whatever you do always give 100%........... unless you are donating blood.
JimT
Shootist

Post by JimT »

And if you have not read the book you have missed a lot, for the period in the movie is only a few chapters in the book.

As far as the movies go, I like the buckin' horse scenes in the Lee Marvin version the best. Just my personal opinion .. and could be 'cuz that was the first version I ever saw many moons ago.
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

JimT wrote:And if you have not read the book you have missed a lot, for the period in the movie is only a few chapters in the book.

As far as the movies go, I like the buckin' horse scenes in the Lee Marvin version the best. Just my personal opinion .. and could be 'cuz that was the first version I ever saw many moons ago.
Back in the day, the quality of the film depended a lot on the piano player. :twisted:
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

JimT wrote:And if you have not read the book you have missed a lot, for the period in the movie is only a few chapters in the book.
Another book I'll have to buy! :P
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
jeepnik
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jeepnik »

Never been disappointed reading a book after I've seen a movie. I've often been disappointed at seeing a movie after reading the book. Then there are the very, very, very few occasions I've not been disappointed with either.

In this case both movie versions were okay, but as mentioned, the book is much better.
Jeepnik AKA "Old Eyes"
"Go low, go slow and preferably in the dark" The old Sarge (he was maybe 24.
"Freedom is never more that a generation from extinction" Ronald Reagan
"Every man should have at least one good rifle and know how to use it" Dad
Shasta
Senior Levergunner
Location: Shasta County, the far right stronghold in California

Post by Shasta »

Griff wrote:
Another book I'll have to buy! :P

Griff,

Get the audio book and you can listen to it while you're truckin' down the road. It's a pretty long story so will last you awhile. :D

Shasta
California Rifle & Pistol Association LIFE Member
National Rifle Association BENEFACTOR LIFE Member

http://www.hcrpclub.org/schedule.html

avatar pic is Shasta Dam, Shasta Lake, & Mt. Shasta
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Post by J Miller »

Jim,

I'll have to keep my eyes open for a copy of the book. I can read paper much better than a computer screen.

Joe
***Be sneaky, get closer, bust the cap on him when you can put the ball where it counts ;) .***
JimT
Shootist

Post by JimT »

J Miller wrote:Jim,

I'll have to keep my eyes open for a copy of the book. I can read paper much better than a computer screen.

Joe
Amazon has used paperbacks for around $11.00 plus shipping.
spaceman spiff
Levergunner 3.0

Post by spaceman spiff »

jeepnik wrote:Never been disappointed reading a book after I've seen a movie. I've often been disappointed at seeing a movie after reading the book. Then there are the very, very, very few occasions I've not been disappointed with either.

In this case both movie versions were okay, but as mentioned, the book is much better.

Not a Western, But the Godfather in both medium satisfy. I agree that book versions are usually better simply because it allows the reader to form
their OWN visual interpretation.

spaceman
I didn't fail the test, I just found 100 ways to do it wrong.

Benjamin Franklin
Shrapnel
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Shrapnel »

Lee Marvin and Jack Palance, complimented each other perfectly. Although I am a Tom Selleck fan, he was not Lee Marvin's "Monte". The bucking horse scene was filmed as it happened. You can't script that good of a scene with a horse as the star.

If you haven't paid attention to the real story being told in the original film, you can miss the theme. This is a fantastic story of two free ranging cowboys, being dragged into the end of the era of open range. One of the best scenes in a movie is where Lee Marvin takes off the buckskins of "Texas Jack" Butler and drops them in the chair and says "I ain't spitting on my whole life!"

If you don't get a feeling of real loss as you watch this film, you have missed the whole story. To me it is a love story, but not between a man and a woman, but between a man and a lifestyle that has passed and he knows it...
Rusty
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Rusty »

Thanks Joe. I saw Lee Marvin do his version at the movie theater. It's been a while. I too own the modern DVD.
If you're gonna be stupid ya gotta be tough-
Isiah 55:8&9

It's easier to fool people than it is to convince them they have been fooled.
BigSky56
Advanced Levergunner

Post by BigSky56 »

seen both I like the original better, lee and jack express the changing time of the west, lee turns to his favorite girl when he loses his partner to a town woman and looks to justice for his old partner and makes one heck of a horse ride. I suggest one get the book. Along the same line as Monty Walsh is tommy lee in the movie The Good Old Boys. danny
wecsoger
Senior Levergunner

Post by wecsoger »

a melancholy love story with a sad ending

Hmmm... Isn't that true of a lot of life?