OT-How do you contact magazine writers?

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
J Miller
Member Emeritus

OT-How do you contact magazine writers?

Post by J Miller »

After reading Mike Venturinos article in the American Handgunner I was thinking of contacting him directly (if possible) and asking him about his drop tube.
But I can't find any contact information for him or anyone else on either the magazine or the web site.

Am I blind or just missing the obvious?

Joe
Junior
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Junior »

Use a piece of PVC cold water pipe. Stick one end in boiling water and flare it. Stick the other end in a powder funnel.

PS: drumming your fingers against the loading block containing the charged cases works just as well.
Last edited by Junior on Sun Sep 30, 2007 5:05 pm, edited 2 times in total.
JoeB
Levergunner

Post by JoeB »

As a writer myself I can tell you what people do when they want to contact me. If the writer does not post an email address (which I do with my columns but not feature pieces in other publications), is send the letter to the editor of the magazine and request that it be forwarded to the writer. They will do that and the writer will (I always do) respond. Include your email address, since that is the preferred way of communicating these days.
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Post by J Miller »

Junior,

Might try the home made tube idea, can't hurt and if it works it will be a lot cheaper than buying one.
As for drumming my fingers on the loading block well, let me tell you about my last batch of bp ammo.
I have a small vibrating cat shaped like Garfield. Turn it on and it vibrates.
So when I loaded the last batch of bp ammo I set the front of the vibrator on the end of the cartridge block and slowly poured in the powder. It didn't help much, I still had to compress the powder more than I wanted.
And this batch of ammo was the worst I've ever made.
That's why I'm interested in the drop tube. There are several guys here and on other forums that use them with good results.

JoeB,

Ok, class me as blind then. I've gone back and forth in this issue of AH and simply can't find an email addy for the editor.
Editorials
Productions
Adds

But not directly to the editor.

Joe
Pete44ru
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pete44ru »

BTW - If a plastic of any kind ( PVC included ) is used, powder will stick to it from the static electricity generated by whatever - unless it is first dipped in a dishwashing detergent & allowed to air dry.
RSY
Senior Levergunner

Post by RSY »

Go to the Gunwriter forum at www.24hourcampfire.com. A number of guys that write for Wolfe frequent there.

Also, I could be wrong, but I think Griff knows him.

scott
Dewight
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Dewight »

Joe,

I use an aluminuin arrow shaft for a drop tube. They come in many different diameters. Any friend that are archers will have some rejects they will gladly give you, as well as most archery shops. Cut to what ever lenght you prefer. No trouble with static electricity either
Member: Vast Right Wing Conspiracy
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Post by J Miller »

OK, I found some contact info for Mike but it states no tech questions or conversations. So scratch this info.

I'll just let this thread die and ask question on the other one.

Thanks Joe
Hobie

Post by Hobie »

Mike posts on the Shiloh Rifle forum. Look for MLV.
Sincerely,

Hobie

"We are all travelers in the wilderness of this world, and the best that we find in our travels is an honest friend." Robert Louis Stevenson
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Post by J Miller »

Hobie,

You gotta link to that forum? It's one I don't have.

Joe
Hobie

Post by Hobie »

J Miller wrote:Hobie,

You gotta link to that forum? It's one I don't have.

Joe
Here it is

http://shilohrifle.com/forums/index.php

I guess I've been banned. I can't sign in. :?:
Sincerely,

Hobie

"We are all travelers in the wilderness of this world, and the best that we find in our travels is an honest friend." Robert Louis Stevenson
Junior
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Junior »

Joe, if MLV answered every email or letter he got that's all he'd do--answer email and letters.
Hobie

Post by Hobie »

Junior wrote:Joe, if MLV answered every email or letter he got that's all he'd do--answer email and letters.
That's why there's shrubs like me out here! :lol:
Sincerely,

Hobie

Rusty
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Rusty »

For the Shiloh Rifle forum just go to Shiloh sharps rifle co's web site, they have a link there.

Years ago the NMLRA came out with a caution regarding plastic tubes and black powder. The concern was that powder dropped or poured through a plastic tube would cause a static charge which in theory could ignite the powder. I'm not usually much on theory but if it might save me problems as in this case I'm also chicken. I'd stick with a copper or aluminum drop tube. Longer is better.

Rusty <><
If you're gonna be stupid ya gotta be tough-
Isiah 55:8&9

It's easier to fool people than it is to convince them they have been fooled.
cas
Senior Levergunner

Post by cas »

If you post it in the Black Powder section, in a relevant fashion (for general education of all) he'd probably be happy to asnwer.
Slow is just slow.
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Post by J Miller »

Hobie,

Thanks for the link. I have it bookmarked and will check it out later when my eyes quit watering up.
Oh I saw a new member over there called "The Real Hobie". Does that mean you're not real? :lol: :wink:

Junior,
I'm aware of that. But if I don't try, or I don't ask questions, I don't learn.

cas,
Thanks for the advise, I'll do my best to word it properly.

Rusty,
I've read cautions about black powder and plastic also. Usually in regards to powder measures, but it makes sense about the plastic tubing also.

Joe
cas
Senior Levergunner

Post by cas »

FWIW... I used a 2 foot (?) length of chrome plated copper water supply line from Lowes, along with some oak for a stand. The funnel is an aluminum one I found at Ace hardware. Cut the water supply line off at the fitting to form a flare (though I could have just cut it off and flared it with the flare tool. Sawed the spout off the funnel at the right spot so it would be the diameter of the tube. Made the connection permanent with epoxy.

Last edited by cas on Sun Sep 30, 2007 10:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Slow is just slow.
Hobie

Post by Hobie »

J Miller wrote:Hobie,

Thanks for the link. I have it bookmarked and will check it out later when my eyes quit watering up.
Oh I saw a new member over there called "The Real Hobie". Does that mean you're not real? :lol: :wink:

Junior,
I'm aware of that. But if I don't try, or I don't ask questions, I don't learn.

cas,
Thanks for the advise, I'll do my best to word it properly.

Rusty,
I've read cautions about black powder and plastic also. Usually in regards to powder measures, but it makes sense about the plastic tubing also.

Joe
I tried re-registering. Don't know what's up.
Sincerely,

Hobie

Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

Pete44ru wrote:BTW - If a plastic of any kind ( PVC included ) is used, powder will stick to it from the static electricity generated by whatever - unless it is first dipped in a dishwashing detergent & allowed to air dry.
Which is why plastic (including PVC) should NEVER be used with black powder - despite the previous post (see cubrock's one), you are the ASKING for a "big kaboom"! :cry:

Rusty, you remembered that well!

I made mine like cas did with plumbing supplies from Lowes as well. Here it is:

I do like the arrow idea!