Savage 99 DOM?

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
cas
Senior Levergunner

Savage 99 DOM?

Post by cas »

(Date of manufacture)

The other Savage thread reminded me that I never found out when this one was made.

In recent years I've developed a very bad habit/hobby. I buy old hunting rifles. I can not afford, nor do I really want pristine collectors item. I like well worn, well used, kind of beat old guns. (I have been unhappy with guns because they were in too nice of condition. lol)

But invariably I end up paying far more than they're worth and in worse condition than I expected. This Savage is a prime example. Pure optimism ruled the day and I paid what I thought "wasn't a bad price" , until of course I got it in my hands. The small cracks were big cracks. There were far more than I thought, longer, deeper and what wasn't was an old oil soaked mess. I did some repairs to make it usable and took it hunting last winter, and will do so again this year.

It's a .250 Savage. A take down that clearly hasn't been taken down in decades. And it still hasn't since I've owned it. I'm pretty sure that's what happened to the stock in the first place, someone tried to take it down and the old stock didn't like it. ;)

Don't know the date of manufacture or the model variation.

Slow is just slow.
Ray Newman
Advanced Levergunner

Re: Savage 99 DOM?

Post by Ray Newman »

According to "The Ninety-Nine ; A History of the Savage Model 99 Rifle" (3rd edition) by D P Murray, it was built in 1924.
The most important aspect of this signature line is that you don't realize it doesn't say anything significant until you are just about done reading it & then it is too late to stop reading it....
Grand Poo Bah WA F.E.S.

In real life may you be the bad butt that you claim to be on social media.
wecsoger
Senior Levergunner

Post by wecsoger »

I see nothing wrong with it. I'm very much a a function over aesthetics guy.

I've said before I refuse to have anything with wood that has more character than I do. (grin)

And I refuse to have anything that if I scratch it up I'll cry over it.

I've got a couple levers that I bought cheap, planned on cleaning them up, may do that eventually.

To me, the joy is in the utility and usefulness. Shiny is pretty but doesn't make the world go 'round.

(mental note: I've got no Savages, need to add one of those to the accumulation)
cas
Senior Levergunner

Post by cas »

I have a Winchester 94 that I bought right when they stopped making them. A bad time to buy, but I still got a good price on it. The photos were pretty bad. The bluing looked thin and the wood looked like it lacked finish.
When it showed up it was actually a beautiful rifle in great shape. Make my purchase a great one. But I was disappointed, I wanted an old beater, something I could treat badly and not feel guilty about. I guess some people are never happy. :D

This Savage isn't that either because the stock is a bit fragile IMO. But it'll do as long as I don't do something stupid or fall on it.

Thanks for the info Ray, a tad older than I thought.
Slow is just slow.
ollogger
Advanced Levergunner

Post by ollogger »

I like your Savage just the way it is!! I to go after the ones that some others may class as a beater
I do have a few guns that are to nice for me & my son will get them & he can ding them up & wear
some bluing off them, in fact the next time I see him he will have them, sadly it might be next year
for that to happen

ollogger
earlmck
Advanced Levergunner

Post by earlmck »

Cracks in the buttstock seem to be a Savage disease: only one of mine (and I have 6 of 'em) is without a crack or two. But that crack of yours on the left side looks nasty in the picture -- that might be worth a little repair work before you shoot much more.

But a 250 Savage is way up there in the cool factor. Your old one has the 14" twist so may have some stabilization troubles with 100 grain bullets. But if it doesn't like 100 grainers (some do and some don't, I understand) it will most likely do just fine with the 90 grain Sierra hollow point, which is built to be a game bullet and not a varmint bullet. I'm shooting that in both of my 250's, and one of them is newer with the 10" twist and would stabilize most anything I'd load in it.
The greatest patriot...
is he who heals the most gullies.
Patrick Henry
cas
Senior Levergunner

Post by cas »

Haha... that IS after the repair, you should have seen it before. :lol: That big gap you see is full of epoxy. Both sides were split quite a ways, but the nasty side you see on the left had a repair done on it long ago which made my job harder. I had to try to cut out some of their old glue that was no longer doing anything, which is why the gap is so big. Plus as I said, much of the wood in between, behind the tang was soft from decades of oil. And as anyone who's had a Savage stock off knows, there's not a lot of wood up in there to start with, so it's hard to build it up and reenforce it in any way. They removed a little wood behind the tang and sort of bedded it to build it up and strengthen it. I removed it and did it over as well.
Slow is just slow.
Pete44ru
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pete44ru »

The 1924 DOM is correct.

Your Savage looks like it might be a model "E" - if you remove the forend wood & peek at the front face of the receiver, Savage sometimes stamped the model letter(s) there.

Some years, the model was stamped into the upper LH side of the front receiver ring (often hidden when a scope mount base was installed after it left the factory).

The .250-3000/.250 Savage is my favorite game (deer, etc) chambering.

M. M. Wright
Advanced Levergunner

Post by M. M. Wright »

:mrgreen: I really like it and like many here I particularly like the 250/3000 caliber. I lived for years with a 99F in 250 that had the 1 in 14 twist and resigned myself to using 87 grain bullets like it was designed for. The deer never knew the difference except I hit a bunch of them with it. Mostly DRT.
M. M. Wright, Sheriff, Green county Arkansas (1860)
Currently living my eternal life.
NRA Life
SASS
ITSASS
missionary5155
Levergunner 3.0

Post by missionary5155 »

Greetings
Looks fine to me. Bought a 300 Savage (1923) TD that looks similar. To me a good hunting rifle need not look beautiful.. Especially if they can drop the bullet on target with no fuss. Those peeps are a good way to hunt also.
MIke in Peru
A sinner saved by FAITH in the Blood of Jesus Christ &teaching God´s Word in Peru. John 3:36
Tanker 71-74 NRA Life Ready to Defend the Constitution from enemies within and without.
Levergunner 3.0

Post by 1894 »

That classic rifle looks right at home resting on those classic wool pants 8)
Phil
cas
Senior Levergunner

Post by cas »

1894 wrote:That classic rifle looks right at home resting on those classic wool pants 8)
Those pants were made in 1941.

It's becoming a tradition.

i know I have more somewhere... :lol:
Slow is just slow.