New S&W 64-5

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
hondo1892
Senior Levergunner

New S&W 64-5

Post by hondo1892 »

Ok I finally took a photo of my new Smith & Wesson 64. Griff and some others guys here talked me into a K frame stainless with a heavy barrel. I was thinking about getting a model 10 because I like the looks of blue and the skinny barrel. But you guys said the heavy barrels shoot really well so I went with the 64. I seen several 13's and 19's that I thought about getting but decided the stainless in 38 special would do everything I needed it to do. If I need a .357 magnum I will get my model 28 out. This revolver has real potential in the accuracy department. I just need practice to do it justice. I can get three or four rounds in about three inches. But I'm doing something wrong and send the others to the right mostly but sometimes they go left or really low. I can shoot a long gun fairly well but not a handgun. Just means I need to shoot more. :D
Grizz
Advanced Levergunner

Re: New S&W 64-5

Post by Grizz »

I need better glasses, I thought you stabbed it!

That's a really nice one. I have a 4" 66 that is a straight shooter and has the best sa trigger I have ever shot. I trust yours is fabulous also. They did something very right with those revolvers. Mine took a few deer but I don't think it's a great deer gun. They're great can kickers and those new fangled hopping jumping plastic targets would be fun, have you tried them?

The stainless is much more resistant to tarnish than my redhawk. I've left it on the binnacle for months at a time at sea with only a slight paper bag brown on occasion that wipes off with thumb grease. I never oil it except sparingly for the lockworks. Just wipe it down and dry it out on the stove top trivet. Hardy gun.
hondo1892
Senior Levergunner

Post by hondo1892 »

Grizz all the Smiths that I have owned had great sa triggers. The only other revolver that I have owned with a good trigger was an old Super Blackhawk. All the other Rugers that have been in my hands had too heavy of a pull. I have a rubber bouncy target but haven't tried it out yet. I'll try it next time I shoot.
plowboy 45
Senior Levergunner

Post by plowboy 45 »

Good lookin pistol hondo, seems like it's gonna work out for you

Grizz, I also had a 66 4in that was the best shootin pistol I've ever owned, I still wonder 28 or so years later why I ever sold it, I like to think it was for baby food or diapers just can't remember WHY :( :( :(
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

Sometimes, it's finding the right grip that will bring it all together to make a great target shooter of you. I don't think I have exceedingly large hands, but an oversize grip is the best investment I've made on my mdl 65. It just put my finger in the perfect place to get a straight consistent pull. I had a gunsmith put a small fluorescent orange insert (in the days before fiber optics) in the front sight.

Dare I take another opportunity to show it off???

Hondo, I certainly hope you get as much enjoyment out of yours as I have out of mine.
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
Rusty
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Rusty »

The only problem with those 64s and 65s is that if you miss with em you don't have any excuses.

I have/had a 3" 65 that my wife has pretty much laid claim to. I guess I need to go get another one.

aw shucks.
If you're gonna be stupid ya gotta be tough-
Isiah 55:8&9

It's easier to fool people than it is to convince them they have been fooled.
Dave
Senior Levergunner

Post by Dave »

That is a hard gun to beat. The right set of grips make it even better.
hondo1892
Senior Levergunner

Post by hondo1892 »

Picked up a Hogue mono grip for the 64 today. If I'm lucky I will try them out tomorrow and see if they help my shooting.
JB
Senior Levergunner

Post by JB »

hondo1892 wrote:But I'm doing something wrong and send the others to the right mostly but sometimes they go left or really low. I can shoot a long gun fairly well but not a handgun. Just means I need to shoot more. :D
That's why I prefer the adjustable sight models for everything other than a short range concealed carry weapon. That's one of the few things I agreed with Elmer Keith on. Sometimes a fixed sight guns will shoot left, right, high, or low with certain loads. It's not always the shooter's fault.
Last edited by JB on Fri Oct 02, 2015 8:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Grizz
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Grizz »

all the more reason to find the load the gun likes instead of moving the sights around. I strongly dislike "adjustable" sights on my field guns. It's a me thing I guess, I do the same with my lever guns. I find the round that works great, one that anyone can ring the gong with, even first timers, and call it good. after that, that gun shoots that load.

A pistolero can just move the point of aim to compensate for wind and distance. Much faster than digging around for the impossibly tiny screw driver and trying to elevate the rear sight for the farther deer. kwim?

you know, if one gun could do everything, then why would we want another one, eh? :lol:
walks with gun
Levergunner 3.0

Post by walks with gun »

Like Griff say's, a set of grips might make a world of difference. I've always had a hard time getting great groups with the factory S&W stocks like that, always gave me a excuse to get some custom. Pachmayr presentation grips give a good, consistent hold without costing a arm and leg, and look pretty good on a stainless gun too. And their pretty warm in the winter.
JB
Senior Levergunner

Post by JB »

Grizz wrote:all the more reason to find the load the gun likes instead of moving the sights around. I strongly dislike "adjustable" sights on my field guns. It's a me thing I guess, I do the same with my lever guns. I find the round that works great, one that anyone can ring the gong with, even first timers, and call it good. after that, that gun shoots that load.

A pistolero can just move the point of aim to compensate for wind and distance. Much faster than digging around for the impossibly tiny screw driver and trying to elevate the rear sight for the farther deer. kwim?

you know, if one gun could do everything, then why would we want another one, eh? :lol:
You can use a heavier or lighter bullet to raise or lower point of impact, but you're pretty well screwed on left and right unless you have an adjustable sight or you get into bending the he front blade or turning the barrel. Beside the most accurate or best performing bullet might not be the one that shoots to point of aim. I'll assume you weren't serious about actually adjusting the rear sight while getting ready to shoot a deer.
Barcelona Rick
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Barcelona Rick »

I was able to purchase a 64-5 2" round butt last year. It was a trade in from the Virginia Department of Corrections. Supposedly issued to Prison Wardens & Assistant Wardens. Really a nice carry piece. Yours looks great.

rick
Grizz
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Grizz »

JB wrote:
Grizz wrote:all the more reason to find the load the gun likes instead of moving the sights around. I strongly dislike "adjustable" sights on my field guns. It's a me thing I guess, I do the same with my lever guns. I find the round that works great, one that anyone can ring the gong with, even first timers, and call it good. after that, that gun shoots that load.

You can use a heavier or lighter bullet to raise or lower point of impact, but you're pretty well screwed on left and right unless you have an adjustable sight or you get into bending the he front blade or turning the barrel. Beside the most accurate or best performing bullet might not be the one that shoots to point of aim. I'll assume you weren't serious about actually adjusting the rear sight while getting ready to shoot a deer.
:D that was the image of my slightly dry humor. One of the things I do when I am looking over an unfamiliar gun is to sight the gun backwards. if there is an axial misalignment it can show up that way. I've read of front sights being realigned in one direction with some lathe work.

Windage is the most important component of the sight system. I've used a puff of dirt to walk a shot into a target out of my normal range, but that only works when the windage is dead on reliable.

I wonder what else would make a revolver have a windage problem? Perhaps a bad crown?

I
Modoc ED
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Modoc ED »

This is my Model 64. It has the two piece barrel and the S&W safety but it is a good shooter . I'd have to check but I think it was made in 2008. I also have a blued Model 10 4" Heavy Barrel made in the 1960s but don't have a picture of it. It shoots about the same as the Model 64.

Neither gun shoots to the exact point of aim. The one pictured shoots about an inch to the right and half an inch high and the blued one shoots about an inch high but centered. I just have to hold off and they do fine for me.
Last edited by Modoc ED on Mon Oct 05, 2015 8:43 pm, edited 2 times in total.
ED
Yer never too old
Modoc ED
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Modoc ED »

I gotta change those distances and group sizes in my above post. Checked the wrong data. The distance for each gun would be 15-yards and the groups for both would be 2" to 3 ".
ED
Yer never too old