Step son had a little fun.

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
wvfarrier
Senior Levergunner

Step son had a little fun.

Post by wvfarrier »

This deer was caught around the neck by a coyote snare (rolling block). It managed to get to our property dragging the danged wire behind it. Unfortunately it caught on a large rock. Poor thing was stuck pretty good so I let my step son do a "mercy kill".

40 yards. With my winchester trapper 44 mag. Bullet entered between the front leg and transverse completely through the deer exiting beside the anus. Bullet was a handloaded 240 grain Speer jacketed soft point with 11.5 grains of unique. Great hunting load with almost no recoil. He loves that darned rifle. Has taken two turkeys, 3 raccoons, a coyote and now this doe. If I'm not careful I think he will abscond with it. She dressed out to about 90 pounds. Appeared to be a 2 year old. Very tender ;-)

We initially tried to get close enough to get the snare off but with me on crutches it just wasn't happening. I'm getting seriously tired of finding these snares. My dog got caught in one a few weeks ago and it really tore him up. I've hidden trail cams around the areas but so far haven't caught the culprit

A bondservant of our Lord, Christ Jesus
Blaine
Posting leader...

Re: Step son had a little fun.

Post by Blaine »

:(
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
JerryB
Advanced Levergunner

Post by JerryB »

You did right under the circumstances. At least it wasn't "CECIL".
JerryB II Corinthians 3:17, Now the Lord is that Spirit: and where the Spirit of the Lord is, there is liberty.

JOSHUA 24:15
hondo1892
Senior Levergunner

Post by hondo1892 »

Here in Kentucky snares are only allowed during trapping season. Also the commercial made snares usually have break-away locks. That about as much as I know about them things. It is a pitty that some knuckle head is out snaring this time of year. I have seen other guys wreak havic on coyotes with snares though but they use ones that deer can break loose from to keep that from happening.
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

Heck, I didn't post " :( " because you put the deer out of misery.....I did it to show disdain for folks using non-discriminating traps.

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
DAV
rjohns94
Advanced Levergunner

Post by rjohns94 »

Could game warden help with the pursuit of the person using snares?
Mike Johnson,

"Only those who will risk going too far, can possibly find out how far one can go." T.S. Eliot
wvfarrier
Senior Levergunner

Post by wvfarrier »

No tags on them but he said if I catch them on camera then they will pursueit. Especially considering the individual has ot come back to check them....i know because my cameras would be caught them
jeepnik
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jeepnik »

JerryB wrote:You did right under the circumstances. At least it wasn't "CECIL".
You know, it seems like everyone is condemning the hunter. He hired a professional guide service. It was they who did the misdeed. Yet some want to hang him. This sort of thing could happen to any of us who hire a guide service.
Jeepnik AKA "Old Eyes"
"Go low, go slow and preferably in the dark" The old Sarge (he was maybe 24.
"Freedom is never more that a generation from extinction" Ronald Reagan
"Every man should have at least one good rifle and know how to use it" Dad
7.62 Precision
Senior Levergunner

Post by 7.62 Precision »

The right snares seethe right way won't catch a deer. Also, if someone's catching dogs in traps or snares, generally they are trapping too close. Some dogs really range, and that is understandable, but when I was trapping close to people, I just used sets that dogs didn't get caught in. A snare set for a coyote will catch a dog - it has to be out a reasonable distance from people.
wvfarrier
Senior Levergunner

Post by wvfarrier »

I have 58 acres that is mostly woods. I'm surrounded by an additional 2000 acres of state forest. My boundaries are fenced off but whoever it is, is setting the snares along my fence line. They've cut my fence 3 times so far. Which really sucks. I use no climb horse fencing and it is super expensive
Bridger
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Bridger »

I'd have to see pictures to believe your dog got "messed up pretty bad". There almost has to be more to the story. I've done a fair amount of snaring and trapping, and you almost NEVER see damage on an animal from a snare. Even one setup to kill doesn't mutilate or anything. I never have understood why hunters are so quick to jump all over trappers. Like a bunny hugger going after a lion hunter...

Oh, and I don't know about there, but in a whole lot of places coyotes are fair game year round. For good reason.
"The best argument against democracy
is a five minute conversation with the average voter."

- Winston Churchill
wvfarrier
Senior Levergunner

Post by wvfarrier »

Well first. I didn't ask for your opinion. I gave a statement of fact. This individual illegally put snares on my property and then to top it off was not checking them regularly. My dog was caught around the neck. He had 2 liters of fluid drained from the soft tissue due to the swelling. He suffered 1/4" deep lacerations were the wire pulled tight and he struggled. So ya. I pretty sure I'm right
7.62 Precision
Senior Levergunner

Post by 7.62 Precision »

I am a hunter and have been a trapper, and everywhere I have been, hunters and trappers tend to be on the same page.

But everywhere I have trapped, there were animals that I needed to avoid catching. I have not always avoided it. I caught a neighbor's dog once and froze it's foot. Got bit pretty good getting it out of the set and carried it to its home, which was quite a ways. At -20º, it was good I was on top of it, if I had left it a day, the dog would have been frozen. The dog had run away and already been missing for a couple days before it got in my set. I once caught a hawk and successfully released it. It was a cubby set, so that hawk was really determined to get caught. I have always trapped around eagles, hawks, owls, and other birds, sometimes pets. Other than dogs I fought purposely, and the one neighbor dog, and one hawk, I never caught anything I was trying to avoid.

Trapping on someone's private property without permission is like walking into their house uninvited and unannounced, kicking their dog, going through their fridge, drinking their milk right out of the jug, and peeing on their toilet seat. Also, I'm pretty sure it is just as illegal in most places.

As far as a snare messing up a dog, every snare set that I have ever seen for trapping was designed to kill quickly. That is pretty much my definition of "messing up" something. That is also why I like snares. You almost never SEE damage to the animal because it died right away. But a coyote set will catch a dog and it will kill a dog, and if it does not kill it and the dog struggles against it, it will tear it up. I have pulled dogs out of wire (fences and scrap wire) that they were entangled in and it will mess them up. If a snare malfunctions or was set incorrectly and traps instead of killing a wild animal, it will often quickly calm and while it will move around and test the wire, it will often just lay still unless someone comes close. A dog tends to really thrash and struggle against the wire, to the point of total exhaustion, and then will start again as soon as it regains any strength.
firefuzz
Senior Levergunner

Post by firefuzz »

jeepnik wrote:
JerryB wrote:You did right under the circumstances. At least it wasn't "CECIL".
You know, it seems like everyone is condemning the hunter. He hired a professional guide service. It was they who did the misdeed. Yet some want to hang him. This sort of thing could happen to any of us who hire a guide service.

YUP!

Rob
Proud to be Christian American and not ashamed of being white.

May your rifle always shoot straight, your mag never run dry, you always have one more round than you have adversaries, and your good mate always be there to watch your back.

Because I can!

Never grow a wishbone where a backbone ought to be.
Senior Levergunner

Post by 2571 »

wvfarrier wrote:I have 58 acres that is mostly woods. I'm surrounded by an additional 2000 acres of state forest. My boundaries are fenced off but whoever it is, is setting the snares along my fence line. They've cut my fence 3 times so far. Which really sucks. I use no climb horse fencing and it is super expensive

I live in a city. What is no-climb horse fencing?

ps -- hope you catch the guy
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

2571 wrote:
wvfarrier wrote:I have 58 acres that is mostly woods. I'm surrounded by an additional 2000 acres of state forest. My boundaries are fenced off but whoever it is, is setting the snares along my fence line. They've cut my fence 3 times so far. Which really sucks. I use no climb horse fencing and it is super expensive

I live in a city. What is no-climb horse fencing?

ps -- hope you catch the guy
No Google in DeeTroit? :wink:

https://www.google.com/search?q=climb+h ... 1&ie=UTF-8

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
DAV
Senior Levergunner

Post by 2571 »

Yeah, there's google here but all I got was plastic coated wire fencing.

Is the idea that the holes are too small for the horse hoof to enter? The extra metal raises the cost?

Why does a horse want to climb a fence, to knock it down & escape on general principle?

This morning I found all sorts of google references about goats when I looked for horse fencing. Same thing? Goat can't get it's foot in the fence holes?
wvfarrier
Senior Levergunner

Post by wvfarrier »

Horses tend to stick their hooves through fencing....not really climb. It's designed to eliminate that. I've never found any fencing to contain goats. They are like houdini. Finally got rid of them because we couldn't get them contained.
Senior Levergunner

Post by 2571 »

Thanks.

I saw a horse once. A policeman was riding it downtown.

Really, thanks. I like reading posts about horses and their habits. Guy said here once that a horse may be frightened by something it sees as it goes past and will be frightened again on the reverse trip as well. Apparently a horse has a strange sense of positioning & placement of the things it sees and cannot analogize the first fright to seeing the same object in different position.