For Cali Residents-free ammo (UPDATE)

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
jkbrea
Senior Levergunner

For Cali Residents-free ammo (UPDATE)

Post by jkbrea »

http://ventanaws.org/ammunition/

I saw this a while back and put my name in. Just got an email that they are shipping me a free box of lead free Barnes ammo from Cabelas. You can also choose Federal or Hornady. I've heard a lot of good things about lead free and always wanted to try it. If the link doesn't work its Ventana Wildlife Society. Click on lead free raffle. You have to be a resident.
Last edited by jkbrea on Mon Aug 03, 2015 5:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Gleedaniel13
Levergunner

Re: For Cali Residents-free ammo

Post by Gleedaniel13 »

I am not sure if they really do the content of the email. Some are just a spam or hoax. Hopefully, you can show us any proof that they are delivering that kind of box. :)
jkbrea
Senior Levergunner

Post by jkbrea »

I don't think it's a scam but maybe shouldn't have posted until I recieved it. Someone on another forum told me about it. The email stated it would be sent UPS to my address in about a week. Two weeks ago I filled out the form online. They only asked for name, address and email. They're a legit organization that works a lot with restoring eagle and condor populations in Ca and want hunters to switch to lead free ammo. You can choose factory loaded ammo or bullets if you reload. You have to live in one of several counties listed and be at least 18. Found this newspaper article in a search. If it's delivered, I'll let you know.

MONTEREY COUNTY >> The Ventana Wildlife Society is offering big-game hunters in Monterey and San Benito counties the opportunity to receive a box of non-lead ammunition through a free online raffle that began Wednesday.The first 200 qualified entries who sign up for the raffle atwww.ventanaws.org will receive one box of ammunition per household. Applicants must by at least 18 years of age.Kelly Sorenson, executive director of Ventana Wildlife Society, said the purpose of the raffle is to encourage big-game hunters to switch to non-lead ammunition for the well-being of the California condors and other wildlife. Non-lead ammunition has been required in the condor range since 2008, but availability of the ammunition has been less than adequate to support a substantial switch, Sorenson said."As a result, condors continue to require life-saving treatment in the field," Sorenson said. "Right now we have wild central California condors at both the Oakland and Los Angeles zoos for treatment."A switch from lead ammunition became important, Sorenson said, because condors have become more independent and are feeding less on the food provided by conservationists.Small-caliber ammunition, such as .22, often is swallowed whole by wildlife, and larger calibers, used for big game, tend to break into hundreds of pieces if they are made from lead, Sorenson said. Copper ammunition performs as well or better than lead because it expands well and doesn't fragment unpredictably, as many lead products do.Sorenson said the ingestion of spent lead ammunition is a significant problem for condors and has been documented in 130 species of animals worldwide.State Assembly Bill 711, which requires the use of non-lead ammunition throughout California, is now being implemented by the California Department of Fish and Wildlife. The use of non-lead ammunition helps preserve the tradition of hunting and ranching, Sorenson said, and the Ventana Wildlife Society is committed to helping hunters find the ammunition so condors can thrive.See www.ventanaws.org for additional information.
JohndeFresno
Advanced Levergunner

Post by JohndeFresno »

It certainly looks like a legitimate website and conservation group, if you go to the main site.

I started filling out the info but could not help but notice that they want your full name, DOB, full address, phone number, and the calibers (2 - main one and an alternate) that you are requesting ammo for. The DOB makes sense due to the 18 yr age requirement, and of course one has to match up ammo with firearm - and then mail the product to the correct address.

But then there are the two questions at the end, one of which I would have to answer, "NO," I don't believe that lead ammo is the reason that Condors are endangered. After all that, they have a ton of information on the hunter who takes the bait.

As I view this, regardless of the statement that they will keep all of your info confidential - where have I heard that before, about a million times? - it looks like one could make quite an anti-gun or anti-hunter hit list from the entries. Who knows where that lands? I've had to change my MasterCard four times in a years' time, thanks to Target and one or two other stores failing to "keep all of [my] information confidential."

Even mild harassment from the Sierra Club is not worth a box of ammo to me. But that's coming from a former State and local government employee who has gotten cynical and curmudgeonly over these past 7 decades. It started with a polio shot when I wore short britches and the nurse said, "This won't hurt a bit;" and carried through life up to a Prez who repeatedly promised to bring the nation together (although I didn't vote for him, anyway).

On the other hand, thank you for the tip! It might be a great way to go. Me, I guess I'll buy some more Barnes or Hornady non-lead components and stuff them into casings myself, so that the Game Warden and I can remain friends.
GonnePhishin
Senior Levergunner

Post by GonnePhishin »

Beware of komukrats bearing gifts :o
"The beauty of the second amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it." - Thomas Jefferson

"I know not what course other men may take, but as for me, Give me Liberty or Give me Death!" - Patrick Henry
Old Ironsights
Posting leader...

Post by Old Ironsights »

My .0002 (rounded for inflation...)

If you live in a commie/anti-castable-metal fiefdom, get with a half-dozen friends and buy a used/surplus Davenport Screw Machine. Once programmed you can mill a zillion bullets to spec from "acceptable" Copper/Brass round stock...
C2N14... because life is not energetic enough.
מנא, מנא, תקל, ופרסין Daniel 5:25-28... Got 7.62?
Not Depressed enough yet? Go read National Geographic, July 1976
Gott und Gewehr mit uns!
model55
Levergunner 3.0

Post by model55 »

I think that this just more propaganda for them.They have never to my knowledge ever came out with proof that lead already in the environment wasn't to blame for damage to the condors nor have they shown any drop since the condor lead-free zone was established These are the same people who remove carcasses off the beaches which were a well known source of meat for condors so they can study them.They lied about the expense for hunters-you pay twice as much for half as much on bullets if you are a reloader and even more if you buy factory.I've seen excessive meat damage with other shooter's game and a loss of game from complete penetration as well.A shoulder shot seems to be the way to go.This was all introduced by a gun control Democrat and has now been passed to cover the entire state by governor moonbeam starting 2019 even though there are not condors present.Back door gun control at it's finest.The bullets I've used are accurate and in fairness I have to say the meat damage was from small high speed rounds which are pretty much the norm now.I have not been impressed with the muzzle loader bullets as of yet either but what I've seen has been limited.
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

We have used the Barnes and other types. They are superior in performance of traditional machetes lead bullets
In the High Desert of Southern Calif. ..."on the cutting edge of going back in time"...

Old Ironsights
Posting leader...

Post by Old Ironsights »

:roll:

Can I visit you in Stockholm?
Gott und Gewehr mit uns!
jkbrea
Senior Levergunner

Re: For Cali Residents-free ammo (UPDATE)

Post by jkbrea »

I understand that in this day and age many people are skeptical and suspicious, and rightfully so. That being said, this organization appears to be nothing more than a group that believes animals and birds are affected by consuming lead from animals/birds shot and not recovered. This may or may not be true. They are a non-profit group and take donations and use funds to purchase lead free ammo and give it away to try and convince hunters to go lead free. And no, I am not a member. Never heard of them until last month. I'm on the fence of how effective they are on large game, but from what I've read, they do pretty well.

It's not just California. Wyoming Game and Fish were giving away boxes of lead free ammo for a few years to elk/bison hunters in certain areas of Wyoming. I don't know how many others do.

I made this post to let forum members in the areas listed that this offer was available, not to create controversy. I know some are hesitant because they ask for name, address, and date of birth to verify you're over 18. I really don't think they are turning the info over to the state to go after you. You give more information to include credit card info, sometimes SS# to gunshops which do turn it in and to state agencies. When you apply for a hunting license, you are giving the state the same or more info. I don't think they are getting it from a conservation group.

Today I received a box (20 rnds)of factory loaded Barnes VOR-TX .308 168 gr tipped TSX BT ammo. Delivered as stated by Cabelas. :D
Only drawback is one box per address per year.
JohndeFresno
Advanced Levergunner

Post by JohndeFresno »

Old Ironsights wrote: If you live in a commie/anti-castable-metal fiefdom, get with a half-dozen friends and buy a used/surplus Davenport Screw Machine...
Interesting concept, OI, but I reload from a corner of my garage that holds two cars and there is no room for it.

Checked with my wife and she said, "Definitely not in the Living Room or Bedroom!"

What's a guy gonna do?
SteveR
Senior Levergunner

Post by SteveR »

Old Ironsights wrote::roll:

Can I visit you in Stockholm?
Dude, that's messed up!! :lol: :lol: Sorry OS, but it was funny at your expense.

Steve
Old Ironsights
Posting leader...

Post by Old Ironsights »

JohndeFresno wrote:
Old Ironsights wrote: If you live in a commie/anti-castable-metal fiefdom, get with a half-dozen friends and buy a used/surplus Davenport Screw Machine...
Interesting concept, OI, but I reload from a corner of my garage that holds two cars and there is no room for it.

Checked with my wife and she said, "Definitely not in the Living Room or Bedroom!"

What's a guy gonna do?
Buy a skid-building/portable barn and install it somewhere near 3 Phase 220...

Those are AWESOME machines... even the old pre-CNC ones...
Last edited by Old Ironsights on Sun Aug 09, 2015 11:33 am, edited 1 time in total.
Gott und Gewehr mit uns!
mikld
Advanced Levergunner

Re: For Cali Residents-free ammo (UPDATE)

Post by mikld »

An aside; I worked on Davenports for several years during the '60s and early '70s. I made every thing from eyeglass frame screws to hand grenade parts (made mebbe a million). Loud, oily, but you could produce precision parts by the thousands in a shift...
Mike
Vocatus atque non vocatus, Deus aderit...
I've learned how to stand on my own two knees...